1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does McCain's VP pick undermine his "Obama lack of experience" argument?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Crabtownboy, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No.

It means his VP selection is at least as experienced as Obama.

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Click on the states in the south. They are overwhelmingly no. Like LA is 70% no.

Why would that be?

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

On the surface, yes.

At the same time, McCain seems to be arguing that Obama's limited experience in the Illinois senate with his 120+ present votes means Obama likely filled a chair, then was molded to a US Senate seat in '04 and groomed immediately for a POTUS run. Meanwhile, Palin worked in the grassroots, and served politically at the local and eventually the state level, with executive experience at both. So there is a substantive difference.

Palin has more "executive" experience than her POTUS running mate and the other ticket combined, then :laugh:

I digress...
    If Palin negates the "Obama has no experience" argument, does the Obama pick of Biden negate his "change the Washington insiders" argument since Biden has been in the Senate for part of four decades?

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I have to admit, I am watching a CNBC Exclusive with Palin and she will be tougher than she appears in the debates. She handles herself well speaking domestic, particularly domestic energy. She is even pitching the wind in Alaska.

One thing I don't see her mentioning, there was concerns about the warming in the arctic if we just blindly start drilling as she proposes. There are geologist and experts who've disagree with her but she is doing very well pitching her side.

Now Maria Bartoroma is the interviewer but I heard she can hold her own in a debate. Biden may have a mess on his hands. If she frustrates him he will loose his cool and appear to be bullying the pretty woman. You know how men, especially southerns men naturally protect a pretty woman...

Not a bad show...

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sarah Palin will look like the inexperienced person on the national stage that she is. It isn't her fault. Rookies thrown into the middle of a national campaign don't usually fare well, for example, Geraldine Farraro and Dan Quayle.

That being said I don't think it will affect who wins. People vote for president, not vice president. The VP candidates will be largely forgotten after their one debate.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You may be right.

Cheney certainly spanked pretty boy John Edwards in their debate.

We'll see. Her history says she is a fearless competitor.

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I don't know Ken, turn on the tube. She is impressive but I would expect she would be since she is the hail Mary for this election. The entire election is riding on her shoulders so they wouldn't have put up a dummy... She has also spoken positive about Obama which makes her different on the political stage.

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Wow, she really catches you off guard. The things that comes from her mouth is impressive. They should have had her on the top of the ticket and the republicans would have won for sure. I guess we'll see how she memorizes her short answers and if she can limp by on foreign policy.

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe you are over dramatizing her candidacy.

This election is between McCain and Obama. The VP candidates are , as usual, pretty much a sideshow.

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I disagree, I think McCain sensed he didn't have a chance unless he took this huge risk. His entire candidacy depends on her making the ticket work. She is one heartbeat from being president behind a guy that's 72 and a history of cancer. People will be watching the debates with one question in mind, can she take the 3AM call. If yes they have a chance to win. If no, well, you heard about snow balls in the hot place...

12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I expect so, but history teaches otherwise. McCain was doing fine in the polls head to head with Obama before either of them named their running mates.

Over-analyzing the dynamics of a presidential race is usually an exercise in self gratification, rather than facts.

No insult intended.

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You could be right, however there were too many demographics that McCain still needed to win this race. He knew it. We knew it. Everybody knew it but you. She brings him those demographics or at least gives him a chance...

Nothing wrong with it, Obama needed foreign policy so look who he got...

14. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I don't know about that. McCain has no right to be in the race. Obama should be winnning by 12-15 points, and the fact that this race is in the margin should make Obama not sleep until Christmas. That said, I don't know if McCain "needed" this risk. It could undermine his candidacy. However, Palin appears to be holding up well and the debate between Biden/Palin will be interesting. However, as most VEEP debates will do, it will fade into oblivion within a news-cycle or two.

15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I read somewhere that Palin is a master debater. She will make a statement that sounds prolific on the surface then put on a look like, "I'm a beauty queen and I knew that". Before they realize what she said was surface deep the debate is over and she has won more support.

She can also get you frustrated then put on her innocent look. If Biden isn't careful and goes for the bait he'll have every card carrying NRA member positioned on roof tops trying to get a clear shot (animated for effect).

16. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Well, perhaps that's where that whole "small town mayor" thing came in. She boasted of this, the left glommed onto it derisively, and now 60% of America is potentially offended by the perceived snobbery of the Obama camp's comments about being mayor of a small town. If she's that smart a tactician, the VEEP debate could be one for the ages. We'll see. Far too soon to say.

17. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Looks like America is very protective of this young lady. Any attacks toward her is received very defensively and with flaming responses.

18. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could be a sign.