1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does older mean better?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Jordan Kurecki, Dec 23, 2014.

1. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And this is where the KJVO argument has to go, a subjective argument based on personal perspective and denying scholarly arguments from, otherwise, friendly theological schools.

To say the KJV is trustworthy because of "400 years of spiritual fruit" is entirely false basis for supporting its continued veneration and also empirically wrong as other translations have flourished across these 400 years making the KJV only one of many helpful translations...which BTW only applies to English speakers.

I'm not at my resources currently, the holidays tend to drive my out of town. I'll see what I can come up with re your previous reply to me Jordan.

2. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The basis of my King James Only Position is largely based upon the rejection of the textual criticism movement that has its roots largely in German Rationalism of the 1700s... when you follow people like Tichensdorf, Wescott, Hort, all the way down to Nestle and Alland... the whole movement started off with people doubting God's ability to preserve his words.

I challenge anyone to read David Clouds book "the love of the bible"
    If you can read that and still remain a proponent of modern translations...then I would consider listening to your thoughts.

http://www.wayoflife.org/publications/books/for_love_bible.php

3. Jordan Kurecki

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "most of the textual scholars from the 19th-century on were rationalists who denied the infallible inspiration of Scripture. "

-David Cloud.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's start to list some living New Testament scholars that I know something about:

Philip W. Comfort
    D.C. Parker
    Daniel Wallace
    Maurice Robinson
    Robert Mounce
    William Mounce

The above clearly do not fall into your demeaning characterization. Or rather Mr. Cloud's which you have bought into.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jordon, does it bother you that Erasmus was a Roman Catholic? If it doesn't bother you, why not? Shouldn't you be consistent in your criticism?

6. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

Ok, you just misspelled 60 percent of the names you listed. And KJVOs wonder why people don't take them seriously. BTW, modern textual criticism never says that the readings of the earliest surviving manuscripts are always better than those in the later ones, except for maybe Comfort.

7. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The argument that modern scholars are bad, KJV is best based on better manuscripts fails every test of common sense. Use the KJV if you want, but arguing for Onlyism requires a leap into misinformation, circular reasoning and bad exegesis - go there if you like, but I'll not be joining you.

8. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So longevity = perfection and onlyism?

Is that why you dismiss the English Bibles prior to 1611?

What about the fruit cultivated from the Tyndale, Coverdale, and Geneva?

You do know why the Geneva was halted in its publication?

That's not true. As Van has just said in another thread, we believe the originals to be God-breathed and inspired and the translations to be faithful, trustworthy and reliable.

To get the full meaning and power, translations should be compared, studied, and corrected when necessary. None are perfect, but all are scripture and the Word of God - as the translators of the King James claimed.

God has and will keep His Word alive forever. Isaiah 40:6-8 says so and Peter reinforces that in the New Testament.

Forever means from the time it was first inspired, not from the time of the King James AV.

If Psalm 12 is about the preservation of God's Word in the form of the written word and ALL of the collected works, then it is talking about from King David's generation. He is the one who was inspired by God to pen those words.

King David said "they" would be preserved from this generation forever. "This" means David's generation, not King James' generation. David had no clue of King James nor was he prophesying.

9. Jordan Kurecki

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But they are following in the footsteps and following the theories that were laid down by the rationalists.

10. Jordan Kurecki

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Erasmus works were all pretty much banned by the Catholic Church including his Greek New Testament. Erasmus was not your typical Roman Catholic.

from "The Love of the Bible" by David Cloud. Pg 53:

"Eramsus was an enigma. He could be named as "Mr Facing Both Ways" on the one hand, he continually and publicly rebuked many of Rome's Blasphemies and spoke of the glory and sufficiency of Jesus Christ. While it is possible that Erasmus was a Roman Catholic until his death (Though he spent time with Protestants and died in their midst) it must never be forgotten that Erasmus did something that was not characteristic of the typical 16th century Catholic:he desired to the place the bible into the hands of the common man."

Even so what's your point?

The King James bible is not even based on Erasmus Textus Receptus, though his text is very similiar to the text the KJV is based on.

#30 Jordan Kurecki, Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2014
  11. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And now we've swung around to the "attack the 19th century scholars" Maginot Line if KJVO defense.

12. Jordan Kurecki

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mat 7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
    Mat 7:25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
    Mat 7:26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
    Mat 7:27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Foundations are very important.

Considering that current textual criticism is largely based on unbelief and rationalism.. the foundation of it all is like a man building his house on the sands.

13. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

Many believers currently practice textual criticism, and do you really think that men like Mill and Bengel and Tregelles and Tischendorf were steeped in unbelief and rationalism?

14. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've a confession to make

I've been hiding this from all of you on the BaptistBoard for years.
    I'm so embarrassed to say it.

I'm KFCOnly!

Popeye's is a modern perversion.

Rob

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Rob, as I learned on Laugh-in, many years ago, KFC buys only the best chickens, they steal the rest.

16. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is the philosophy behind KJV-onlyism the assumption that God has not preserved the exact, specific original language words that He gave by inspiration to the prophets and apostles so that they had to be regiven or restored in 1611?

The KJV was made of a good number of textually varying sources with its makers not following any one Old Testament source 100% or any one New Testament source 100%.

The English text of the KJV has been constantly changing from 1611 until today

17. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have completely read David Cloud's 1995 book For Love of the Bible and over 100 other books by KJV-only authors, and none of them present a positive, consistent, logical, sound, scriptural case for a KJV-only view.

18. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just because an English translation is older, does that really mean that it is better and more reliable in every one of its renderings?

19. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Shouldn't a good translation be one that is written in the style and language of whatever time period that it is being translated?