1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does prayer have power?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, May 22, 2012.

1. GodisGreat

GodisGreat New Member

Tom Butler, sorry if I came across the wrong way. I have tendancy to do that sometimes though it is effective for some people. I just know how wrapped up I got in such discussions for several years, and I know others that have done the same.

I will try to do the introduction soon.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Great. I look forward to getting to know you better.

I have to be careful in reacting to what I consider pushing my "hot-button." I know that folks don't mean it the way I take it.

For instance, my antennae start quivering when someone says something like, "well, if we'd spend more time doing this instead of doing that, we'd please God more, we'd be more spiritual (or something like that)."

The implication is this: "If you'd spend more doing doing all these spiritual things----as I'm doing and you're not--you'd be a better Christian." See what I mean.

And I think their hearts are in the right place. They really do want to make God's work a high priority in their lives. But it comes across, to me at least, as a big smug.

And maybe I'm coming across as a bit defensive, making a mountain out of a molehill.

3. GodisGreat

GodisGreat New Member

Earlier in my adult Christian life, I was almost obsessed with apologetics and did MUCH more studying and discussion with people like me than lost people or less learned Christians who were really seeking answers. I just don't want a lot of people to make the same mistake as me. It is difficult to read motives and demeanor on message boards for sure.

4. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

In response to webdog and others: Yes Prayer does avail much.
    My cell phone also avails much. My cell phone can call the AAA truck if I run out of gas on the road but the phone has no power to make my car run again.

Prayer is very important but when we start giving credit to our prayers for good things that happen, we have a problem.

My point is in response to those that say things like "that's great, it must have happenend because you prayed so much" Or "I know it was the prayers that did it"

It may seem like semantics but I think over time, we can actually start to credit our prayers instead of the God to whom we pray.

5. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We Agree, and Welcome, TOO!!!

I am forever saying this same thing. I don't have the answers, and I won't try to make it look like I do. In fact, no one person has the precise answer to any questions posted on the board, yet they try to act like they do. As for me, and now you, I choose to wait and discuss these theological issues with Him when I join Him in glory.

And, like with Tom.....WELCOME!!!! :thumbs:

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wow...comparing prayer to a mere cell phone! :eek:

At least there are no dropped calls and you can never run out of minutes...

You set up a false dichotomy. You are putting prayer up against God, when in fact God is the one who instituted prayer and tells us there is power in prayer.

I have yet to hear anybody outside of the WoF heretics say prayer should be viewed as divine apart from God.

7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

There was a story about a man requesting prayer for a struggling family, and that they needed food. He had asked the church to pray for God to help feed them. After church, one of the members saw this person who had requested the prayer, packing two sacks of groceries, one under each arm. When asked what was he doing , he stated, "I'm putting some legs under my prayer." I think that we, at times, ask God to do something, when in fact, we can roll up our sleeves, and help. I am a firm believer in prayer, but can can "assist" them way more than we may ever know.

For instance, you see a car rolled over, and someone trapped inside. You can hit you knees and call out to God to help him/her. Or, you can run over and do what you can to get them out. Sure, you should ask God to help you and them as you are helping them, but too many times, we sit back, and want God to do things that we can do, such as feeding hungry people.

8. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Web, yes a cell phone is of course a trivial example but I think the point is clear.

I guess to put it another way, prayer is only as powerful as the God we pray too. People from other religions who pray to other God's do not have any power in their prayers.

If I call a tire shop to order a pizza, it won't work. If I pray to a false god, my prayers will be powerless.

You could say that prayer is the act of acknowledging just how powerless we really are.

9. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Convicted1, very good point. Not directly related to the topic but a good point.

Prayer should never be an excuse to avoid our responsibilities.

10. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Well, prayer is more about us submitting to His will, and not ours. When something is decreed by God(such as the death of a loved one), no amount of prayer will change that. We must pray to Him according to His will be done, and not ours.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I can agree with this.

12. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

We pray because Jesus told us to pray. And he told us to ask for what we want.

Remember his encounter with blind Bartimaus? Those with him operated under the assumption was the result of sin, and asked Jesus what he'd done. You'll remember that Jesus said Bart was blind for that moment (in which he would display his power in him). So Jesus knew exactly what he was going to do. He was going to heal Bart, and this had been part of the Father's plan from eternity.

Yet.....

He made him ask. "What do you want? Jesus inquired, already knowing the answer.

Bart, of course, answered, "I want my sight."

The request was not for Jesus' benefit. It was for Bart's.

So, prayer is not for God's benefit. It's for ours. It is an act of placing ourselves in total dependence on the Lord and acknowledging that he has the power to grant it.

In other words, prayer does not change God. It changes us.

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some prayers are powerful and some reach no more than ceiling height.

"The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much."