1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does prayer work??

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Rew_10, Feb 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

From his profile, Rew states:

I submit that Rew loves his idea of who God is, but not God himself.

2. Rew_10

Rew_10 New Member

And your submition it noted, but holds no relevance.

In most ways I do feel that God is perfect, but I would have no qualms if He was not. But, it seems that some of you would disown God if He were imperfect.

And you'll answer this vigorously saying "God is perfect! God is perfect! God is perfect!" But as I have already stated, perfection is a perspective whether you like it or not.

3. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

It doesn't get any more contradictory than that.

And truth is truth whether you like it or not.

4. Rew_10

Rew_10 New Member

And you claim that YOU know the TRUTH!? Sorry, but none of us do. You can sit there and worship a text and claim that it is truth, but truth is not democratic.

And you can cite scripture about God being perfect, but that does not make him perfect.

I'm stand in awe of God just as you do, but I still question Him. I am not so afraid that I swallow what is written as fact beyond any doubt. Nothing is beyond questioning.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear."

-Thomas Jefferson

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yes, God's perspective. Perfection is defined by God.

6. here now

here now Member

AMEN to that!!!!

7. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

The only way that you know anything about me is by the information that has been revealed on this website. Please feel free to provide evidence of my worshipping of a text. You will find no such evidence, as I worship the true and living God, not the imperfect "god" that you believe God to be. I certainly don't worship a text. You may take your assumptions and pre-conceived notions about me right back to where you came from.

Correct. Citation of Scripture does not make God perfect. However, God is, was, and will always be perfect no matter what you or I believe. The difference is that I have accepted the Bible as authoritative in this matter, and you have not.

You assume that I (and everybody else here, I suspect) have never questioned God as you have. You assume that everybody here is a mindless lemming that simply accepts without questioning. The assumptions you make about me, and others on this board, are staggering.

You'd like us to believe that you aren't a typical teenager, and maybe others are buying into it, but I'm not. When I was the same age you are, I asked the same kind of questions that you have, and God answered those questions for me. Most likely, he will answer them for you as well.

Regardless, lose your pre-conceived notions and assumptions about me. You don't know as much about me as you think you do.

8. Rew_10

Rew_10 New Member

Then explain your answers rather than making short, concise, irratating remarks.

9. His Blood Spoke My Name

The serpent questioned God's Word from the beginning. In the Book of Genesis we read:
    I see satan working in the hearts of unbelievers even today questioning God's Words. Same tactics, different day.

10. Rew_10

Rew_10 New Member

But they are not "God's Words". They are the words of HUMANS that were inspired by God. If God wanted it to be His words he would have written and bound a book and placed it on Earth. Likewise, the Bible should be looked at as skeptically as anything else.

11. His Blood Spoke My Name

You may fool yourself with such a ridiculous statement as that, but you cannot fool me. God's Word was written by the hand of man, but not the mind of man. The Holy Spirit told them what to write, they did not just write randomly.

12. Virginia ORB

Virginia ORB Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need Faith:

John 20:29: Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

13. Rew_10

Rew_10 New Member

So you were there and saw the authors' eyes glaze over and their hand became God's? You make assertions of truth with no evidence. I'm not trying to impress my ideas as truth, but rather just put them out there for us to think more openly about the possiblities.

14. His Blood Spoke My Name

You are trying to sow seeds of doubt, just as the serpent did in the garden.

15. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

:laugh:

Grow up, troll.

16. Rew_10

Rew_10 New Member

I love your continued urges to compare me to Satan :laugh: ! But I acutally like to consider it sowing seeds of common sense.

17. His Blood Spoke My Name

The wisdom of this world is foolishness to God.

18. Rew_10

Rew_10 New Member

Then please, in your infinite wisdom, explain how you know that prayer does work in aiding people. And attempt to refrain from citing scripture.

19. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I realize this isn't empirical evidence, but I can speak from experience. I have known several people who have been healed in a rather unexpected fashion, one lady who was planning on hip surgery but then during a time of prayer was able to get up and walk around with out pain. Another, fellow requested to be prayed over by our elders and was able to go off of heart medication. In both cases a doctor verified that treatment was no longer necessary. I myself in praying for guidance have found myself soon after either having an inspiring thought, had somebody say something that I needed to hear, or found something in the Bible.

20. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

The wisdom of God is foolishness to Rew_10. I wouldn't waste any pearls on him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.