1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Does Regeneration Precede or Follow Faith" part 2

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by The Archangel, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know why I bother...but here goes.

Ephesians 1:13 is NOT saying what you are saying it says.

In the original Greek there is no "After." That is a wrong invention of the KJV translators.

The verse simply says (and this is a wooden translation): In whom also you having heard the word of the truth, the the good news of your salvation, in whom also having trusted you were sealed in the promised Holy Spirit.

The two words the KJV supplies "after" to are 1.) Having heard and 2.) having trusted. This is an incorrect translation.

The verb "were sealed" is also an Aorist Passive Indicative, indicating a summary, snapshot (the Aorist) of God's action of sealing the believer (the Passive)

Both of these words are Aorist Active Participles, the Aorist, again, signifying a summary action presented in its entirety. So, there is no "after" or any cause and effect here.

The verse is simply stating when someone hears and believes the Gospel, they are sealed with the Holy Spirit.

But, and this is big, you are divorcing Ephesians 1:13 from its greater context. The context stream starts in 1:3:
    [3] Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, [4] even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love [5] he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, [6] to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. [7] In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, [8] which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight [9] making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ [10] as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.
    [11] In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, [12] so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. [13] In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, [14] who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.
    (Ephesians 1:3-14 ESV)
    In the passage, God is doing many things to bring people to Himself:

1. God chose believers in Christ before the foundation of the world (4)

2. God predestined believers to be adopted through Jesus Christ (5)

3. God gives believers redemption through the blood of Christ (7)

4. God gives believers an inheritance, because He chose/predestined to do so (11)

5. God seals believers with the Holy Spirit when they hear the Gospel and believe (13)

Furthermore, Calvinists never claim (to my knowledge) that being sealed with the Holy Spirit is the same thing as regeneration.

This is what the verse says, and you are taking it wrongly and pushing it into a form the text simply will not allow.

The Archangel

2. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are correct. All the time previously to this day Paul was persecuting people that believed that Jesus of Nazareth was the Messiah. Paul knew who the person was for whom he was persecuting. The belief did not come from the one being called but from the one doing the calling/electing. Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.

To our knowledge those with Paul did not believe.

3. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course I understand I probably stand alone. And that is OK. My post 76 is where all the meat is concerning regeneration. We are neither saved or regenerated by the Holy Spirit being shed upon us but it is given to them that God calls as an earnest / assurance of being regenerated and by which that regeneration will occur as in Romans 8:11 when the age of the regeneration arrives.

I would love comments from all on post 76 and the word of God accuracy of that post or inaccurate. By the way to my knowledge most of this has come to me in the middle of sleepless nights. It is like someone showing me how to line up scripture. Sometimes I know I have heard them but have to google to find them.

#83 percho, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2010
  4. Winman

Winman Active Member

The others did not hear the word of God.

Acts 22:9 And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me.

All the other men saw the light, but were not saved. Why not? Because they did not hear Jesus's voice. Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

And Paul wasn't magically regenerated just because the Lord appeared to him. It was only after Jesus's spoke to him and identified himself that Paul truly believed Jesus was the Son of God.

You will always see this. Was the Philipian jailer regenerated when he asked how to be saved? No, because Paul told him he needed to believe on Jesus to be saved. But if you read a little more you will see he did not actually believe on Jesus until after Paul preached the word of God to him. See for yourself.

Acts 16:29 Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas,
    30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
    31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
    32 And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house.
    33 And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway.
    34 And when he had brought them into his house, he set meat before them, and rejoiced, believing in God with all his house.

The Philpian jailer didn't believe until he took Paul and Silas home and they preached the word of God to him. And notice they also preached the word of God to everyone in his house. After hearing the word of God they all believed and were saved.

You will never find anywhere in scripture where a person is magically regenerated to believe. They must always hear and believe the word of God to be saved. Always.

#84 Winman, Dec 13, 2010
  5. Winman

Winman Active Member

That is saying the exact same thing! "Having heard" is past tense as is "having trusted", so the KJB translation is perfectly accurate.

Your modern versions agree:

NIV

Eph 1:13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,

ESV

Eph 1:13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit,

NASB

Eph 1:13 In *Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation—having also *believed, you were sealed in *Him with the Holy Spirit of promise,

So, your MVs do not help you one bit. They all show a person first hears the gospel, then believes the gospel, and then and only then are sealed with the Holy Spirit.

#85 Winman, Dec 13, 2010
  6. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it isn't "past tense." It is Aorist Tense. And while the English correctly renders it as "past" is is not as simple as that.

If, and this is a big "if," the verb "you were sealed" were not also Aorist, you might be correct. But, Paul is not making a case that there is cause and effect. He is saying: "At some point in the past the believer heard the Gospel, believed the Gospel, and was sealed with the Holy Spirit.

Now, I agree that hearing the Gospel and believing the Gospel must take place before being sealed with the Holy Spirit. The problem is that you are using this verse in a way that Paul never intended--he never intended to show an A+B=C progression. The participles and verb are all simple "snapshots" of past completed actions. If anything, this passage argues that all these things happen at the same time. But, it is certain, there is no concept of progression.

The Archangel

7. Winman

Winman Active Member

Man, we sure are lucky to have educated folks like you to explain scripture to us. Ephesians 1:13 seemed so simple and straightforward, I actually believed I understood it.

#87 Winman, Dec 13, 2010
  8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We indeed are fortunate to have scholars of the calibur of Archangel here on board with us.

9. moral necessity

Site Supporter

My purpose here was to weed out the confusion between "the eternal life received upon believing" with "the awakening of or making alive the spiritually dead so that they can believe". The second is what Calvinists call regeneration.

Are you trying to say that no work of God is required to happen to us prior to believing? Surely not, for only Pelagians say that, and Augustine thoroughly dealt with them 1700 years ago. Even Arminius himself believed a work of God had to occur first to enable a person to believe. Read his own words yourself.

"WORKS OF ARMINIUS - GRACE AND FREE WILL
    PREVIOUS SECTION - NEXT SECTION - HELP

IV. GRACE AND FREE WILL

Concerning grace and free will, this is what I teach according to the Scriptures and orthodox consent: Free will is unable to begin or to perfect any true and spiritual good, without grace. That I may not be said, like Pelagius, to practice delusion with regard to the word "grace," I mean by it that which is the grace of Christ and which belongs to regeneration. I affirm, therefore, that this grace is simply and absolutely necessary for the illumination of the mind, the due ordering of the affections, and the inclination of the will to that which is good. It is this grace which operates on the mind, the affections, and the will; which infuses good thoughts into the mind, inspires good desires into the actions, and bends the will to carry into execution good thoughts and good desires. This grace goes before, accompanies, and follows; it excites, assists, operates that we will, and co-operates lest we will in vain. It averts temptations, assists and grants succour in the midst of temptations, sustains man against the flesh, the world and Satan, and in this great contest grants to man the enjoyment of the victory. It raises up again those who are conquered and have fallen, establishes and supplies them with new strength, and renders them more cautious. This grace commences salvation, promotes it, and perfects and consummates it.

I confess that the mind of a natural and carnal man is obscure and dark, that his affections are corrupt and inordinate, that his will is stubborn and disobedient, and that the man himself is dead in sins. And I add to this -- that teacher obtains my highest approbation who ascribes as much as possible to divine grace, provided he so pleads the cause of grace, as not to inflict an injury on the justice of God, and not to take away the free will to that which is evil.

I do not perceive what can be further required from me. Let it only be pointed out, and I will consent to give it, or I will shew that I ought not to give such an assent. Therefore, neither do I perceive with what justice I can be calumniated on this point, since I have explained these my sentiments, with sufficient plainness, in the theses on free will which were publicly disputed in the university."

This is what Ezek.37 is about also, with the valley of dry bones. This is the "regeneration" that Calvinists speak of, as well as Arminius. God says, "'Son of man, can these bones live?' And I answered, 'O Lord God, you know.' Again He said to me, 'Prophesy over these bones and say to them, 'O dry bones, hear the word of the Lord.' Thus says the Lord God to these bones, 'Behold, I will cause breath to enter you that you may come to life. I will put sinews on you, make flesh grow back on you, cover you with skin and put breath in you that you may come alive; and you will know that I am the Lord."

And in vs.12, he says, "Thus says the Lord God, 'Behold, I will open your graves and cause you to come up out of your graves, my people; and I will bring you into the land of Israel. Then you will know that I am the Lord, when I have opened your graves and caused you to come up out of your graves, my people. I will put my Spirit within you and you will come to life, and I will place you on your own land.'"

Blessings and fellowship

#89 moral necessity, Dec 13, 2010
  10. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah...and here we have the "Winman" tactic: Don't address anything of substance in the post (Especially after having been proved wrong), attack your opponent with an ad hominem, adding a "liar-liar-pants-on-fire" kind of response, and generally acting like a grade-schooler.

Nice. Some day, you might learn to play nice with others.

The Archangel

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

A picture speaks a thousand words. The picture I showed represented your confusing double-talk. You take a thousand words to try to explain a verse (falsely) that a child could easily understand.

This is laughable, even your MVs show that a person first hears the gospel, then believes the gospel, and only then is sealed by the Holy Spirit. You really should translate the scriptures for us, seeing how you know Greek and Hebrew better than the KJB translators, or even the men who translated the MVs.

[offensive remarks removed]

#91 Winman, Dec 13, 2010
  12. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    You seem to forget that my translation agreed with the modern versions. It is you that are reading the "after" into the modern translations because, I imagine, you can't get over the KJV, as it has translated this passage wrongly.

Again, you offer nothing of substance. You are apparently incapable of addressing the matter at hand from the Greek. No, instead, you insult.

I guess playing nice with others is something you are simply not capable of. It's a shame.

And what will Christ think of your insults of me and others?

The Archangel

13. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Having reached page 10, and having descended to the sandbox, this thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.