1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does Rick Warren Practice Humanism?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by IveyLeaguer, Jul 13, 2006.

1. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

In another thread, npetreley said the following about the Purpose-Driven® movement, and said it correctly, I believe:

Rick Warren's intimate, longtime involvement with ecumenism and humanism is no longer being masked and, for a year or so now, has been gradually unfolded for all the world to see. Which is a very good indication of how much confidence Warren has in the power of the establishment machine that is behind him and his belief that Biblical Christianity can no longer stop him, having been neutralized, rendered ineffective, and reduced to an immaterial remnant of the church.

Though it is only one example out of many, and though I may not agree with some of it, THIS ARTICLE FROM YESTERDAY represents a typical example of what's going on, the kind of thing we have been expecting to see for 3 or 4 years, but are now seeing almost every day. As a Biblical Christian and "Purpose-Driven® resister", a part of that "growth-restricting disease" as Rick Warren calls it, that still believes, rightly-divides, discerns, and practices what the Bible teaches in a balanced way, I am continually amazed at how gullible the church is and saddened by the long-inhabited, but rapidly spreading cancer within it.

Combatting aids in Africa, Purpose-Driven® Jewish synagogues, Purpose-Driven® Catholic churches, speeches to religious groups without ever ONCE mentioning Jesus Christ, consultations with and speeches to the United Nations, Warren's false teachings on the "love of self" .... the list of rotten fruit and important topics that have never been discussed here on the BB could go on and on and on.

It's very important to keep in mind that Purpose-Driven® is only one part of a much larger, synchronized move that's ongoing but it's the one that most affects Baptists. Regardless of how it may seem, the fact is that less than 5% of the discerned material available about this counterfeit, Purpose-Driven® form of Christianity has appeared on this board. I wonder if there are others who have picked up on all this and would be able to share your opinions and information with the board. I will be unavailable to regularly post for at least several months and maybe longer, but I hope some of you will help watch, and in a fair and balanced way inform the others, who can then take the information and decide for themselves. This is important because things are moving much faster than they were just a year ago, much too fast for Christians to just look the other way anymore. The time is here, and it is no time to be among the uninformed.

Godspeed.

:Fish:

2. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I am not expert on Warren, nor do I feel the need to be but from what I do know about the man, then yes, he does practice humanism

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It seems Iveyleaguer has an agenda to push here on the bb. I hope God is blessing your loving attitude towards His chosen.

4. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I have to agree with webdog.....

I think we have had enough of the Rich Warren bashing..

:sleeping_2:

Jamie

5. OrovilleTim

OrovilleTim New Member

I guess I'm not "we", and I don't really consider it bashing. I find it interesting (and alarming.)

If it is an agenda, it fits in with all the other agendas flying around the board. It would even be a lot more relevant (and interesting) than some of the other agendas (e.g. the bashing that takes place in the political areas.)

And if it is an agenda, it appears to me it is someone else's agenda to follow the PD threads to defend Warren.

My agenda is to get more people folding :laugh:

6. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I'm speechless.

Warren defenders, rejoice.

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul Proctor writes a venomous artlcle about Rick Warren? What a surprise!//What a witness!

Put me in the "Warren" camp if you like.
    I don't follow Rick Warren, I follow Christ.
    I liked Warrens "Purpose Driven Life" book:
    A simple message of purpose and hope.

After reading your post I couldn't help but think of Carl F. H. Henry’s book, The Uneasy Conscience of Modern Fundamentalism

As a "father" of evangelicalism, he encouraged an active engagement with the world.
    A full Christian witness needs a balanced social activism coupled with an effective gospel presentation.
    It's not easy;
    I don't know if Rick Warren has achieve the proper balanced, but he's doing a better job at it than I am (and most all of us).

Paul Proctor seems to devote much of his ministry toward tearing down another brother.
    I know other's that have copied this style of "ministry" in local churches. :tear:

Rob

#7 Deacon, Jul 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2006
  8. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

"To my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, I say: However, Whenever, Wherever, and Whatever you ask me to do, my answer in advance is yes! Wherever you lead and whatever the cost, I’m ready. Anytime. Anywhere. Anyway."

Is this humanism?

9. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

There must be discernment with this!

We must study to show ourselves approved unto God and not just respond favorably to all that is out there in the name of 'christianity'!

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I wouldn't call it an "agenda". I follow the majority of the threads on this board. I will point out fallacy, though, and much written about RW is just that.

11. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

What are you defining as humanism? It can be a broad term. My understanding is that Christianity is a form of humanism. (practicing good works and behavior for any reason other than selfish gain)

The classic definition though...isn't it to put humans in the highest order of importance and deny anything greater, or at least say anything more powerful is insignificant and of no concern to how we live?

In either case, it wouldn't seem that the term applies...

12. npetreley

npetreley New Member

The similarity is in elevating humans above God. I don't think it is Rick Warren's intent to do that, it's just that his man-centered theology does exactly that, that is, elevate humans above God. You can quote parts of his book that say otherwise but it's a lot of double-talk. He says one thing like "it's not about you" and then spends the rest of a chapter pushing exactly the opposite point "it is all about you".

13. Kris

Kris New Member

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see truth in this post. Certain topics WILL come up repeatedly, we should expect it. It's easy, just be polite and pass over the thread. Posting complaints about the frequency of certain threads or vehemently posting rebuttals to the same thread topics becomes old and repetitious for others to read. Don't mean to preach as I need to remind myself of this also :p