1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does Seminary Really Make the Preacher BETTER?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Oct 16, 2013.

?
  1. Yes....

15 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Not really...

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  3. I am a seminary graduate....it was worth it!

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. I attended seminary, but never graduated....I see no ill effects!

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. Our pastor is not seminary trained...

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  6. Our pastor is a seminary graduate....

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  7. Seminary makes the pastor more knowledgeable about the Word of God!

12 vote(s)
    48.0%
  8. I do not see any benefits of a seminary taught pastor...

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  9. Seminary has made me a better teacher and preacher overall!

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  10. Seminary did not help me, in fact, it confused my faith!

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You think I was being humorous? What kind of silly question is that to ask?

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely not....I don't see any ability in you toward humor.

3. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Names were named...no grenades!

I believe Princeton was named; I lump Claremont School of Theology in there too, and for your information, my alma mater, FIRED the professor, not allowing the sin of the Emergent Church to remain and grow on their campus. :applause:

I'm sure others on this board could give some names of seminaries that fall into the same group as Clremont and Princeton, and the truth is, it is you who jumped to conclusions, as you seemed to miss my words, and I quote, "I am not lumping all preachers who graduate from a seminary in the same group, just pointing out how lame seminary has become!" I am not saying, and never would say that ALL seminaries are lame, but there are some, and that just shouldn't be when we are talking about men and women prepping to teach God's Word to the sheep.

I take the teaching of the word seriously, and have a sense of disdain for those who flippantly teach the word, and try to merge the social sins into their theology! God's Word is holy and to change it in any way is guilty of Revelation 22:18which in the KJV states, "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:"

The Emergent Chruch and those graduating from any level of higher-education [A.A., B.A., M.A., D.Min., etc.] that is willing to add to or take away from the Words written within the Bible will in fact pay a high price!

I.e., t that teach same-gender marriage are okay, or ordain same gender preferring preachers, will, in fact, face wrath. Along with those who teach abortion is an okay thing!

No, I'm not throwing, tossing, or even lobbing grenades, I putting the false teachers in my cross hairs, and taking them out one by one! If the shoe fit, the guilty party will have to wear it and answer to a higher authority than my words of scorn and judgment! :type:

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Princeton is old news. I mean 84 years ago Machen started Westminster Theological Seminary because of the liberalism of Princeton!

Claremont is off my rador --it's just a United Methodist Seminary.

Can't you go beyond these old and isolated cases?

The point is you stated it. You seemed to make it an issue that a seminary education is a lame idea. Since it is so rotten you have to think there is a substantial trend.

Good,you're making some progress. I never said you thought "all seminaries" are lame. But you have made a rather strong indication in your OP and since that most are.

I think that among Baptist seminaries the following are pretty good:
    Detroit,Luther Rice,Mid-America,and SBTS.

Among non-denominational ones: Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Dallas,Bob Jones and Master's.

Among the Reformed ones:Geneva (SC.),Puritan Reformed,Mid-America (Ind.),Westminster (East and West),Knox (Fl),Whitefield,Reformed Theological Seminary in Fl,Geo,Miss,N.C.,D.C.

May more could be names in these three groups alone. I'm thinking of Beeson Divinity School,and Biblical Theological Seninary in Pa.

Having a seminiary education at these (and other) places would be a boon for preachers.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which is a prime example of what happens when moderates and liberals get a hold of our institutions.

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't ALL of them put a premium on learning and using the biblical original languages and tolls?

7. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What courses did they take?

Which degree did they earn?

8. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll tell you what....

....send me a few hundred dollars and I'll hire a PI to get the info for you :laugh:

9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think magnum PI going rate was 150.00 day plus expenses, so would try him, good Detroit boy!