1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does the bible say to tithe or not to tithe?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Carolyn, Apr 30, 2003.

1. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

When I was making 20,000 and supporting 5, tithe was impossible. We gave as much as we could and often sweted the bills and food, but no need to sweat, because He made sure we ate and the bills got paid. Now I am making double that and I give much more than tithe.
    edited to add. We still have plenty o stuff

2. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Laurab,

You stated that your husband controls all of the money in your house. What makes you think that a married couple have their own money? A marriage is a partnership, everything he has is yours and the same in reverse.

Your husband is the Head of your house, as the bible suggests is the case. If he makes a descion, then that is it. If your husband states how much money the church is to recieve then that is it. Respect and Honour is about the position that he has been place into in the household.

You need to work this out with your husband. He should be fully aware of what you are doing. Anything else is sinfull.

God can change his heart, but he needs to be fully aware of what is going on as a sign of respect. Imagine if he thought that the church was encouraging you to give them money even after he had said no. What is his opinion going to be of the church.

Just think about it very carefully.

3. LauraB

LauraB New Member

Ben,

My husband is fully aware of what I am doing and is in support of me paying my own bills and giving to the church what I feel I want to give. Yes my husband is in charge of the household, but he fully supports the fact that I take over my own bills as to less burden him with them.

We are a one income household, and most times the bills do not get met on time, so any help I can give him is fully appreciated. I do my part to help my husband out. And if paying my own bills gives him a little more to pay omething else then I feel good about that. I also feel good that I give my own money to God.

I am not saying what's mine is mine and what's yours is mine. That is not how this works. But he has told me that any money I make off my home business is mine to keep to do what I wish with. Now I could go out and buy myself clothes, and monitary things, but instead I decided to help with the household. I can honestly tell you that I have not bought myself anything with the money I have made so far. Everything has gone for a bill, or food or for the house. And believe me, my husband fully supports it because I always seem to come up with the money we need. God is good to me because I have been faithful with my money. When I wasn't, bills went unpaid, we had no food etc... But I always seem now to get the money for things.

I understand what you are saying. And yes I would be dishonoring my husband if I was going behind his back and doing these things. And if the church put pressure on me to give when my husband said no, then that would also be dishonoring my husband. But all is not the case here.

No need for me to think about anything, I am doing the right thing for all involved. [​IMG]

4. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Laurab, Sorry Laura I have wrongly interpreted what you are trying to say. My wife and I went through extreme financial hardship when we were first married. It was really quite stressfull. But believe me Laura, things will get better. I will remember you in my prayers.

God Bless [​IMG] Ben W

5. bapterian

bapterian New Member

Carolyn,

Tithing was practiced before the Law was given to Moses. I believe it's a good practice to tithe and a good starting point for believers. I'm convicted that tithing is what I need to do, but I don't force other believers to practice the same. I've never regretted being a "Tither" and God is faithful to meet my needs (not my wants).

That being said, the real issue is not tithing, but our attitude about giving. Do we give cheerfully the "first fruits" of our earnings or do we give only what's left over?

6. romanbear

romanbear New Member

Hi everyone; [​IMG]
    I believe in giving what God directs me to give. I do my best to allow Him to have His say in everything I do.Never letting my right hand know what my left is doing.

The thing that bothers me most today about a lot of churches in general is that they do very little to support widows and orphans. Those who are less fortunate, Unless they're members. If you just go to church there you're out of luck. When the lord said to give to all who ask of you. weather they are strangers or old friends.

You take my mother-in-law's church. She gave the church a car to be given to someone unable to afford one. Her gift was heart felt and she gave it with the right attitude, but the person who wound up owning the car was the pastors brother. Who by the way was not in need and wound up selling the car because I suppose he wanted the money more. He already owned two cars.

The whole reason we have welfare these days is because the churches failed to do there job in the correct distribution of the tithes.

Our tithes were originally meant to be kept in store for hard times such as drought or some other misfortune. To be distributed as people had need.

Today in a lot of churches the attitude is if your not a member, they have no responsibility toward you at all. Then the churches who are still trying to help everyone who comes to them for help are over whelmed and bankrupt most of the time. The Men in charge of churches today are becoming more and more selfish. They want to build bigger churches and offer a lager salary for a pastor to make sure they have a brilliant one to tickle there ears.

The thing that blows me away is that the pastor of my mother-in-law's church came out to look at the car to see if it qualified as a gift the church would accept.

No matter we are to give but, be aware of who, and why and for what purpose. Be responsible in your giving make sure it is used for the purpose you gave it. Hold the men in charge of your givings, resonsible for the correct distribution.
    Beaware of possible abuse of your gift
    May God Bless [​IMG]
    Romanbear

7. bapterian

bapterian New Member

"You take my mother-in-law's church. She gave the church a car to be given to someone unable to afford one. Her gift was heart felt and she gave it with the right attitude, but the person who wound up owning the car was the pastors brother. Who by the way was not in need and wound up selling the car because I suppose he wanted the money more. He already owned two cars..."

Why didn't your mother-in-law just give it directly to the person who needed it? Why did she give it through the church? Charitable gifts deduction?

"...The thing that blows me away is that the pastor of my mother-in-law's church came out to look at the car to see if it qualified as a gift the church would accept."

I can understand this one. As a former treasurer of my church, I know first hand that some folks simply want to get rid of their "junk" and try to give it to the church thinking the church will have to accept their so-called "gift". The pastor is wise to check out the quality of the car. Otherwise, the church could be stuck with junk and the burden of wondering what to do with it.

8. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are those that say that tithing is just OT law. I disagree because tithing occurred before the law was given.

Abraham paid tithes to Melchizedek (who I believe to be a pre-incarnate appearance of Jesus. Heb. 7:3) several hundred years before the law was given. Genesis 14:17-20

When Jacob got right with God, he immediately made a vow to bring a tenth of everything God gave him. Again, this was well before the law. Genesis 28:20-22

Tithing is a law of God, written not just in the law of Moses, it is written in your heart and in your conscience. Abraham, before there was a command, knew he was supposed to tithe. Jacob, before there was a command, knew he was supposed to tithe.

Although I believe tithing is a very important Bible truth, I also realize that tithing is just one part of the entire scope of the Bible's teaching on stewardship. God is not just concerned with what you do with the 10%; God is concerned with what you do with everything that He gives you.

People mistaking think that tithing has to do with money. It doesn't have to do with money. God owns the cattle on a thousand hills. He owns the hills and all the gold in the hills. God tells us that He owns everything and if He ever needed anything, He wouldn't tell us anyway.
    Ps 50:10 For every beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills.
    11 I know all the fowls of the mountains: and the wild beasts of the field are mine.
    12 If I were hungry, I would not tell thee: for the world is mine , and the fulness thereof. (KJV)

Tithing isn't about money, tithing is about our obedience and our love for the Lord.

John 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love. (KJV)

1 John 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. (KJV)

9. christfollower55

christfollower55 New Member

Like my pastor says "you can't afford not to thithe." i myself only make $12,000 per year and i try to tithe.

10. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

1. No where is it even indicated or hinted at that Abraham was supposed to "tithe" off of this. He did it on his own.

2. Same.

3. No it isn't. You would do well to not teach contrary to Scripture. No where is such an idea hinted at. Tithing is so important that it is NEVER mentioned in the New Covenant.

4. No, he just did.

5. Same.

Bob, you are aware that even under the Law, three different "tithes" were required. So, do you preach that all three are still required today? If not, you are picking and choosing which parts of Scripture you want to preach from.

In my experience, people who preach tithing do so because they don't think people give enough to help them build their ministries. I am not saying that this is you, Bob.

11. bjonson

bjonson New Member

Good post Daniel.

Further...

Second Corinthians 9:7 says giving should never be under compulsion. If you mandate a percentage, which God doesn't do for us in this age, then you are laying a compulsary rule on your people. This is a violation of scripture.

Tithing has no meaning for Christians. Giving as the Lord directs is our mandate.

Oh, and pay your taxes (the New Testament tithe).

12. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

13. Molly

Molly New Member

I think scripture teaches to give sacrificially,which would be more than a 10% amount anyway....there is nothing that says someone has to give 10% to the local church...but,it says a lot about giving...I guess 10% could be a good start...giving 10% is not bad,it is just not a biblical mandate like some teach.

I think more pastors should teach on the heart that should desire to give sacrificially to God and His people....to help those in need,to share what God has blessed us with to others. It is once again all about the heart,not a magical amount.

14. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

1. No they weren't. You cannot find anything that even hints at this. Until you can, it is just your opinion.

2. I can also show you tithing in the Scripture. I can also show you that it is only required under the Law.

3. Romans 10:4

4. Of course not. He lived under the law (Gal. 4). Maybe you are thinking of Matt. 23? He said what he did because he lived under the law.

5. I know. That inward principle is freely giving AS God has prospered. Why didn't Paul just say to give the tithe?

6. Practiced buy not commanded or required.

Btw, you cannot divide the law. It is a single unit. Remember where it says that if you violate one law you violate the whole law?