1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does the Bible teach against tattoo's?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ktn4eg, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Just for the fun of it...

Dear "Fred's Wife"...can't resist this....is your last name Flintstone and your 1st name Wilma?:laugh:

For the record..I've never had a tattoo either nor the desire to have one....before OR after I was saved!

Bro.Greg

2. Gib

Gib Active Member

If you believe the bible prohibits the cutting of the flesh, why are tats not acceptable but (pierced) ears are? Just wondering....

3. TisMe

TisMe New Member

We were created in Christ image, why people want to go and muck that up is beyond me we're all beautiful Just how God made us.

4. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Good question!

In the Bible, slaves had their ears pierced if they were set free at the end of their servitude, but wanted to stay with their master. Their master would pierce their ears. They were then slaves to the master who pierced them for the rest of their lives.

Does this mean that those who get their ears pierced at, Piercing Pagoda or some other piercing place, are now slaves of the owner of that Piercing shop for the rest of their lives?

5. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

No, my last name isn't Flintstone and my first name isn't Wilma....but if that's what you want to call me....that's cool. Just don't call me late for dinner. :laugh:

I know a lady (from a church I used to attend) who is really into tattoos and has one in a very provocative place...and is proud to display it. It's a rather large tattoo. IMHO, tattoos are offensive and I believe that Leviticus 19:28 is speaking of tattoos. I believe making cuttings (tattooing) in the flesh is a pagan practice and a born again Christian should not have them.

It's really not about our opinions about whether we (as born again Christians) should have tattoos, but "what saith the LORD"!

#25 Fred's Wife, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2013
  6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well folks, Leviticus 19:28 isn't talking about tattoos in general. If we look at the larger context and dig into the Hebrew we see that the point is about cultic practice and not adding pagan symbols or necrology to one's body.

It isn't speaking about tattoos as we use them though it is rejecting pagan tattoos. You can still get a pagan tattoo. The text is objecting to that kind of marking.

As the text communicates (which is missed by a couple of English translations) the issue is pagan sorcery and ancestor worship. Check out the JPS Torah Commentary and World Biblical for their points.

#26 preachinjesus, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2013
  7. Gregory Perry Sr.

Amen Sister:thumbs:

Bro.Greg:saint:

8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The prohibitions found in Leviticus are directed toward the Levitical Priesthood. The Priests were Old Testament types of the life and ministry of Christ. The prohibition against cutting and printing on the skin was something practiced as part of the pagan rites of the people of Canaan.

God was indicating, with the prohibition, that Christ would be spotless, unmixed with any idolatry, or paganism.

Today the prohibition does not apply as that perfection was fulfilled in Christ.

However, I think the practice is pretty dumb. I have a young friend, the son of a Deacon who served faithfully for years, and raised his son to love the Lord, who jointed the Navy. He got a tattoo on his right arm. Then another on his left arm. Another across his chest. He asked me what I thought of them, and I told him I did not want to hurt his feelings but did he think he could improve on the body God had given him (he is an extraordinarily handsome and well built young man). He grinned and said, "I guess not." To the best of my knowledge he never got another one.

9. Gregory Perry Sr.

Yes, but......

TC...I get what you are saying about why such practices were prohibited back then.....BUT... It was a pagan practise that God did not want his children(the nation of Israel) participating in. He established THAT in verse 2 of chapter 19 when he commanded Moses to "speak unto all the congregation of the children of Israel,". It wasn't just to the Priests...it was to the entire nation. My whole point was that if it was considered a "pagan" practice THEN...it would still be considered a pagan practice NOW. Just applying a tattoo to a Christian does not make IT Christian anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car!:laugh: We need to reject the pagan practices of this world. We need to at least TRY to seek to honor our Holy God in the way we live our lives. You may be labeled a legalist if you do....but I still think we should try to live in a way that is pleasing to God if possible. Just because you CAN do something doesn't always mean you SHOULD...Amen?

Bro.Greg:saint:

10. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Jeremiah 10:2 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.

I know this verse is a lead-in for the passage about forsaking God for idols, but I am sure idol-making is not the only wicked way the Lord wants us to steer clear of.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

To answer the op, no the Bible does not condemn them regardless of the extreme legalism, context lifting and opinions of the last 3 pages (haven't read them, just assuming as all of these threads go).

12. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

I know that we are no longer under the law as Christians but I wouldn't get one.

13. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

Wouldn't Romans 14 be applicable in those things in which a born again Christian has "liberty"? When Scripture doesn't specifically call something sinful, there are four tests to determine whether the Christian should allow a certain thing in his life:

(1) Does it bring me under its power?
    (2) Is it expedient?
    (3) Does it edify?
    (4) Does it help or hinder my fellow man, does it cause my fellow man to stumble?

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

So does that mean you would not consider getting a butterfly tattooed on the end of your nose?

For those who are against tattoos, I would remind you, everything in moderation. LOL

[​IMG]

#34 saturneptune, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2013
  15. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks....

....but I don't know where you get I am stressed from?

16. Monster

Monster New Member

No need to dip in the "theological" aspect of this topic, but...

Would I get a tattoo? NOPE! Just as I wouldn't put bumper stickers on a Ferrari :thumbs:

17. PeterM

PeterM Member

This is, without question, the best reply yet!!!