1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does The Bible Teach People To Have Homophobia?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by KobrinFamily, Sep 26, 2011.

1. KobrinFamily

KobrinFamily New Member

Someone from the LGBT posted a picture on a friend of mine's wall about being Gay.....Now my friend is not Gay so Im not sure why it was posted there.....Anyway underneath it someone had posted the Bible was the resion for Homophobia....What are your views on this, I know there are a ton of people out there say they are Gay but are saved....Im not totaly sure what too think about it all??

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

H0m0ph0bi@ is a fear of h0m0sexu@ls. I don't see how the Bible can be used to support fear of anything since God is not the author of fear.

3. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I don't think everyone who disagrees with that life style has a fear of it, but that is how one would be labeled by that group. Don't get me wrong, I can't stand that life style, but I love the individuals, which I believe is biblical. I witness to them as well as any other lost person. I have found some who have said they are saved, I'll leave that to them and God, as I would do with anyone living in adultery, if they said they were saved.

4. KobrinFamily

KobrinFamily New Member

See that was what I was thinking....Like I dont really understand what "makes" people Gay or whatever....But at the same time I try not too Judge as its not my place too say, In the end it's up too God!

I belive in the Bible there is refrance about the Gay lifestyle....I just cant rember were?

5. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Romans one is a good place.

6. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

the Bible makes some things VERY clear on this issue!

Homosexuality was NOT part of the original plan of God for mankind, as he always intended the family unit to consist of the husband and wife, NOT same sexes relationships...

Apostle paul reveals to us that when man becomes "perverted" intheir way of thinking, as a result of having and acting out the sinful nature, one of the evidences will be willful homosexual behavior, glorifing in it...

having desires/attractions towards same sex, temptations to do those acts NOT the problem, its the acting out upon them and commiting the acts...

GREAT NEWS is that the Lord sent his Son jesus to die for our sins, and those whom faith is placed upon jesus as their Lord and Saviour can and will be cleansed from even this sin, but need to them realise they have beens set free now by God and forgiven, need to then find a solid local church, and get firends who will love and support and hold accountible!

Bible teaches that, problem is that today the gay activists and society want us to accept that as being a viable relationship, equal just different to traditiional realtionships and family, and those holding to biblical statndard tagged as "Homophbic"

7. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'd say the Bible (unlike other religious documents i.e. the Koran) offers hope not fear.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Amen!!

Someone I know who claims to be a Christian found out in the spring that her son was gay. Now she suddenly had to either rethink everything she knew about God and Scripture or else accept that her son is in a sinful lifestyle. Of course God was wrong and not her son. Now she posted that those who speak out against homosexuality have blood on their hands because of these kids who are killing themselves because of people saying they are wrong. I'm sorry but just because your son is in sin doesn't mean that it's suddenly not sin!!

The Scriptures are clear. Homosexuality is a sin. It is a sin like any other sin - especially sexual sin but it is a sin none-the-less. I do not fear homosexuals. I've had them in my home and even living with us for a time. But I will never EVER say that it is good, normal, acceptable or whatever. Never.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I appreciate the spirit you show here in your post Ann. Good points - and lets not forget, instead of being afraid lets remember that these are dear people for who Jesus died.

What love is this!

10. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Yes!
    That Jesus died so that they might live, and that God also wants them to have victory overcoming their sin, in the power of the HS that has come to give us His power to live for Christ!

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

First let's establish a definition.
    Homophobia is a term used to refer to a range of negative attitudes and feelings towards lesbian, gay and in some cases bisexual, transgender people and behavior, although these are usually covered under other terms such as biphobia and transphobia. Definitions refer to irrational fear, with the implication of antipathy, contempt, prejudice, and aversion.[1][2][3] The term "homophobia" is observable in critical and hostile behavior such as discrimination[1][2] and violence on the basis of a perceived homosexual or in some cases any non-heterosexualorientation.

Based on the definition the bible never teaches to be a homophobic. It does teach it is sin and how to deal with those who are homosexuals. They need the gospel just like anyone else however just like many others with different sins many of them are not interested in coming out of their sin.

You said that you did not understand what makes people gay. People are not made gay (homosexuals). It is no different then any other sin, it is a choice. There is no doubt based on scripture because of our fallen nature and the flesh that different people are drawn to different kinds of sins as some are drawn to drunkeness, or lies, or murder, or theft, or homosexuality or any other kind of sin. However no one has to go down the road that calls them any more then anyone has to engage in pre-marital sex between a male and a female. It is always a choice and we are all always responsible for making the wrong choice. Contrary to Flip Wilson's saying "the devil made me do it" sin is always willful thought out choice. No one has to sin.

#11 freeatlast, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2011
  12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The father of lies corrupts discussion to evade truth. Folks are not pro abortion or advocates of unwanted child murder, no they are pro-choice. So by framing the discussion, they turn murder into a positive. Same thing with the word homophobia. Thus rather than discuss the lifestyle that on average leads to shorter lifespan, more disease, and the like, we discuss the supposed character flaws of those who say sex outside of marriage is sin.

13. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Just wondering. Would you establish relationships and friendships with those individuals, or are you talking about "drive-by witnessing," where you don't have to stick around long enough to be contaminated?

Again, not accusing, just wondering.

14. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

There certainly are homosexuals who are saved. They are exceedingly decieved and exceedingly out of Gods will for thier lives.

But if they have ever previously been born of the Spirit, then they are still saved. It is absolutely impossible for a once saved child of God to ever, under any circumstances, lose thier salvation and turn into a lost person again.

The scriptural truth know as "eternal security" has no exceptions.

#14 Alive in Christ, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2011
  15. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

My goodness no!!

We should of course share the gosple with them.

Along with that, we should be friendly towards them, be kind to them, treat them with the same dignity and respect as anyone else.

16. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Contaminate!!!! I hang around for as long as we are in the environment as I do with most people. Many I meet in jail as I witness, others at many places. Do we spend the night at each others home, go on vacation together and so on, no. I only know two that I know rather well and they know my feeling about their life style, but they are known to call me to help them out from time to time and I do. I treat them about the same as two heterosexuals living together out side of marriage.

17. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

Homophobia?

Homophobia by definition is a "fear of homosexuals".

I am not afraid of cow manure, but I think it's disgusting.

John

18. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

Homophobia 2?

In my church, we welcome gays to come and hear the gospel, and we pray that they will repent and turn from homosexuality. But even though we welcome into the church to hear the gospel, we would never admit them as members, just as we wouldn't admit an unmarried heterosexual couple living together.

As far as social contact, my wife's sister is a lesbian. If the family has a Christmas, Easter or Thanksgiving dinner, we will not go if the sister brings her gay lover. I can tolerate the sister alone, but I refuse to subject my 6 year old son to a gay couple if I can help it. Society already pushes it too far without me condoning it by subjecting him to it.

I saw last night, for the first time, an ad for KY sexual stimulate (which is bad enough on it's own) that featured 2 females talking about sexual pleasure together. It ended with the both of them in bed together looking exhausted.

Folks, this is gross, and immoral. The problem is that the normal, christian, moral families are not outspoken, but the crazies are loud and in our faces.

I don't know what we are gonna do, I just hope Jesus comes to get me soon. (And no, I am not Calvinist so I am sure some of you think I am not one of God's elect).

John

19. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible Teaches Us to "Not Fellowship with Unbelievers!"

While I have tremendous love and concern for the soul of my daughter (age 43), I cannot and will not fellowship with her while she is living in sin as a full-blown lesbian and a person who professes to be a born-again believer with a Cherokee spirit guide who leads her every thought and step!

I realize she is mixed up and badly mislead, but she is unwilling to even consider my loving guidance. She flaunts her homosexuality in my face, and takes every opportunity to create situations that could lead to arguments.

I have learned to avoid these confrontations, even though they mean not being around her. We still communicate on line, but that is the extent of our communication, as she knows which buttons to press, as I would prefer not having those buttons pressed.

We are cordial on line, and I can always avoid her taunting, but it is a major heartbreak to know what she is doing to her life.

With that said, let me say why I believe the Bible teaches us to avoid any form of fellowship with those who are committed to living outside of Gods will for their life.

No, the Bible doesn't teach us to be homophobic, but it teaches us to be detached from such people and situations. For instance, James says (in James 4:4), "don't that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God." And Paul writes, "Do not be misled. Bad company corrupts good character..." (1 Corinthians 15:33)

We read in Proverbs 4:14 - "Do not set foot on the path of the wicked or walk in the way of evil men" and in Proverbs 24:1 - "Do not envy wicked men. Do not desire their company."

And Peter exhorts us in 1 Peter 4:1-5 -"Therefore, since Christ suffered in His body, arm yourselves also with this same attitude, because he who has suffered in his body is done with sin. As a result, he does not live the rest of his earthly life for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God. For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans (unbelievers) do - living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry. They think it strange that you do not join with them into the same flood of dissipation, and they heap abuse on you." Could this possibly be what you are afraid of? What they might think about you or say to or about you? If so, you better think more of what the Lord will say when you stand before Him to give an account on that Day."

Finally, Paul writes (in 2 Corinthians 6:14-7:1), "Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? On the other hand, what fellowship can light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the Living God." As God has said: "I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be My people. Therefore, come out from them and be separate," says the Lord, "touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you, and you will be My sons and daughters,"

I believe that Jesus needs to be MORE important to us and to our way of life than the things of this world! If that makes me, a homophobe, then so-be-it...I am not on this earth to impress others. I am not here to be "politically correct!" And I'm definitely not on this earth to reflect tolerance towards sin.

Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed for their lustful desire to be with members of their own sex. Paul tells us in Romans 1 that men craving to be with men and women lusting after women will be turned over to their own desires, suffer from a sinful "daze" and be judged for such sins.

Please don't get me wrong! I love my daughter, but she has made a choice that can't end well for her, spiritually speaking! She is in my prayers, and on numerous lists, as I don't quit believing for her salvations. The problem is, it is solely up to her, and only the Holy Ghost can convince her to change the direction in which she is headed.

The problem is, I have several family members that have taken her side, ans because they are religious, she takes it to mean that she knows better than me. These family members refer to me as the "born-again" fanatic! Their salvation is highly questionable, as they are not in a relationship with Him, in fact they don't understand the need to be born-again. And as long as my daughters aunts, uncles, and cousins side with her; accept her; and encourage her; and put me down as that "born-again" fanantic, she'll continue to be on the fast rack portion of the freeway to hell!

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :type:

20. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I do know that the Bible teaches that when Lot was in Sodom---that his "righteous soul was vexed"----the acts being done there moved not only his spirit but his stomach as well

I believe----his righteous soul remained vexed until the day God's Spirit move him out ----- and God then moved in and "dusted" the place!!! IOW--God turned Sodom to powder!!!

Is your righteous soul vexed???????????? Does it move you to move like God moved?? Remember ----- God moved for Lot and at the very same time He moved against Sodom!!