1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does The Bible Teach People To Have Homophobia?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by KobrinFamily, Sep 26, 2011.

1. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

Oh Brother freeatlast, how wrong you are. ALL sin carries the worst of death penalties....eternity in hell's never ending fire. Some sins carried a penalty of death on earth, because God did not want the nation of Israel to be tainted by that sin, but I believe if you'll study the word further you'll see that God does not categorize nor measure sin. He does not say, "you go here because you only lied, and you go to that corner because you were gay." There is only Heaven and Hell. Christians receive rewards because of their work for Christ on Earth, but even their sin is never categorized. There is death or life, that's the only measure of sin. Only way to life is through Christ and thank Him that He does not count our sins, weigh our sins, or give us life based upon our sins....none of us would get life everlasting, we'd all receive the death penalty.

2. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Not at all. Christ talked of greater sin.

You do err, not knowing the Scriptures. FAL is correct. You? Not so much.

3. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

And, Preacher4truth, you are the Great Arbiter of all Biblical knowledge and truth? Somehow, I doubt it.

4. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Thought I was Finished With this Topic......

....However, I must jump back in here and say that I do not see anywhere in the Bible where we are told that one sin carries more, or less weight than another.

It is my opinion that ALL sin is the same, and the wage of ALL sin is death (Romans 6:23). If this is true, what Paul's states in Romans, then Diamondlady is right on.

I can't accept the argument that Jesus died for sins of all sizes. He died for sin, and sin period. This size thing is the most common argument I hear when I share that Christ died for our sins. Way tooooo many folks have classified sins in categories, and subsequently, the small sins (like a "white" lie) in life are acceptable, and they will not send you to hell.

If this were true, then I John 1:5-10 is not correct. In fact, it is a lie, and should never have been included in the Bible by the scholars of old!

Finally, I want to make this point perfectly clear. If preaching that those who commit homosexual sin are "homophobic" than I am the chief of all homophobes! :type:

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pay attention:

On earth all sin is not equal. It was already mentioned that the law prescribes punishments of varying degrees depending upon the crime. The idea that sodomy is no worse than stealing a stick of gum is a lie, and that those who take in sodomites are doing as well as those who care for widows and orphans is a fairy tale.

6. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

Okay, Aaron,

Lev 20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Pro 6:16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: Pro 6:17 A proud look, a lying tongue,

Now, same word....two different sins (the two you used...sodomoy and lying)...you tell me, WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE???? They're both abominations to God. Seems to me someone who tells a lie is an abomination in God's sight, same as those who are gay. So you'd have us stop loving and caring for anyone whose told a lie as well???

7. preacher4truth

Not really, you just happen to be incorrect here. Others and myself have pointed this out to you. Perhaps you are incorrect quite often. Somehow, I believe it.

8. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I'm posting this quote in agreement------Jesus(God in flesh) told Pilate---that Judas carried more responsibility ----a greatER(emphasis mine) sin in having Jesus delivered to him than he(Pilate) himself for the eventual crucifixion ---- then Jesus also told His disiciples that it would have been better had the person who delivered Him(Jesus) for crucifixion---had never been born----Jesus said that in light--not because Judas had a "slight hand" in the "Till"(the diciples money box)---but because Judas was willing to kiss the cheek of the Son of God in betrayal and deliverance

In John's epistle---John talks about sinning a "sin unto death"

So not all sin is equal in God's eye nor in man's eye------the Texas Rangers back years ago ambushed Bonnie and Clyde and killed them----not because they were stealing candy from a baby---but because they had reached the ulitmate in bank hiests and were a threat to society

#68 blackbird, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2011
  9. preacher4truth

Truth. :thumbsup:

10. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

From our human perspective and the teaching of scripture sin (any sin) makes us guilty and in need of redemption whether it be lying, stealing a stick of gum or mass murder etc. The scripture indicates that some sins are a greater stench to God, however, any of them warrants our separation from HIM. The only one capable of a true and absolute flawless judgement of such is God himself. We as humans make rational decisions as to severity with regard to civil laws and society in general. I submit that high on the list of "stenchy" sins before God is PRIDE.

Proverbs 8:13 (ESV)
    13 The fear of the Lord is hatred of evil. Pride and arrogance and the way of evil and perverted speech I hate

11. quantumfaith

12. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

AMEN, brother, AMEN!!!

13. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

P4T....if you are attempting to sway me to your side you are failing miserably. If this is the way you win souls to Christ...well, let me say I don't see much success in your debating skills. Attacking another person instead of addressing the issue at hand is not a way to win any debate. Now, perhaps if you could show me these scriptures, of which you say I know nothing, you might sway me. I doubt it, but you may try. Until then, you are dust on my feet to be dusted away.

14. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

A careful examination of 1Corinthians 6:18 & 19 will shed light on differences and magnitudes of sin

The Apostle tells his readers to "put daylight between" themselves and sins done in the flesh---meaning sexual sin---for the reason that the Apostle says that the body is the Temple of the Holy Spirit

He draws a distinction between sins committed "outside the body"(meaning in spirit) and sins committed with the flesh----to which lies the sin of fornication---which includes the sin of homosexuality

There is more weight put on sexual sins done in the flesh than other sins which do not involve the act of sex

15. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

1Co 6:18 Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
    1Co 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

What I see is Paul telling the church at Corinth not to commit fornication. (By the way, he was not speaking of sodomy here, but rather still referencing that these people were committing incest) and telling them that by doing so they were defiling their own bodies and that as a child of God their bodies were to be pure, like a Temple. Basically he was telling them to cut it out.

I don't mind a good debate but let's not stretch the meaning of scripture to fit where it doesn't fit at all.

16. quantumfaith

Could it also be that Paul was addressing a vexing issue for the Corinthian church, that being of the ancient prcatice synchronism of sexual appetities and the worship of some deity? I see Paul wanting to deal head on with such an issue and not allow it a foothold in the church and damage/destroy the christian witness in Corinth. And thus he offered these stark warnings and the reminder that we are "the temple".

17. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

What you DO seem to mind is when someone comes along and presses the issue of sexual sin and its weights and measurements held against other sins done outside the body----perhaps in an attempt to stretch it out to where it appears God only "winks" at the sin of homosexuality---He knows its bad----but no badder than any other sin that humans commit!!!

Is that it, DL???

18. WestminsterMan

WestminsterMan New Member

OSAS cannot be found in Scripture. However, Scripture says that nothing unclean may enter Heaven. Do you actually believe that any "saved" person may enter therein regardless of the sins on their souls? How about Murder? Sodomy? Fornication? Adultery? The sinner's list is very long in scripture which precludes entery in Heaven.

WM

19. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

The church at Corinth definitely had its problems. I think they were trying, but their society was such that they were overcoming great obstacles. This was a large, metropolitan city (pop around 800,000) their main goddess was Aphrodite (which says a lot about their sexual practices, probably) and Paul did recognize the difficulties they faced and tried to advise them around the stumbling blocks.

20. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If a sodomite gets saved...they are no longer partaking in that sin,
    if you suggest otherwise you are decieved:
    such were some of you,,,,not such are some of you!

Any practicing sodomite, or fornicator, or murderer, or thief...is not a "saved child of God",,out of his will!!! They are an unsaved false professor of religion.