1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does the church you attend practice feet washing as an ordinance?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Old Union Brother, Nov 13, 2010.

1. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, we do not practice this as an ordinance of the church.

To me, cleaning the toilets at church is based on the same principle. Christ was showing us how to be servants to each other.

2. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes...

I started out in the Churches of God/Anderson, Indiana. This is one of their ordinances. It is an extremely humbly practice, and I really believe all believers should wash the feet of their family members.

It will bring you down to the place of a servant, and there is nothing more humbling than to serve another from this position, physically and spiritually!

Humbly,

Pastor Paul :type:

3. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

May God Bless all of you and I respect your opinions even if I disagree with some of them.

I've been trying to figure this out, how you can equate an act that our Savior did to his disciples to cleaning toilets? Yes, I believe that Christ was showing us how to be servants. I have to keep going back to the scripture

John 13:15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.

Should we not follow an example set by Christ?

John 13:16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.

What better way to show forgiveness of short coming of each other?

John 13:17 If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.

I know that I am very happy in the spirit when I get down at the feet of one of God's saints.

Thank you for your replies and God Bless

Jeff

4. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I'm ashamed to be associated with people that make comments like the above.

I don't practice feet washing and I haven't attended a church that does. I think it's pretty disrespectful for folks above to belittle the practice as they do however.

5. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

You belittle me all the time, friend.

Again, I believe it can be a lovely symbol if one chooses to perform the specific act, but its symbolism is its strongest point.

6. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

You belittle yourself, and I just happen to point it out. But, that's neither here nor there in relation to this conversation.

7. RAdam

RAdam New Member

No, it's strongest point is obedience.

It amazes me that people write off feet washing as being symbolic, but want to literally practice Baptism and the Lord's Supper. What do you think they are, if not symbolic? What do you think the OT law sacrifices and feasts were, if not symbolic? Just because something is symbolic doesn't mean God didn't mean His people to literally practice it. God intended the OT Jews to literally hold those feasts and literally perform those sacrifices, even though they were shadows/pictures/symbols of things to come. God intends us to perform baptism even though it is entirely symbolic and pictorial. God intends us to keep the Lord's Supper with wine and unleavened bread even though those things are symbols. What is the difference between those things and feet washing?

Jesus said, "what I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter." He wasn't performing a cultural ceremony, but something that has higher meaning. When Peter told Jesus not to wash his feet the Lord said, "if I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me." Do you understand the fellowship we forfeit by not doing what He said? Jesus went on to say, "Know ye what I have done to you? Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done unto you. Verily, verily, I say unto you, the servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him. If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them."

It's pretty simple. What had Jesus done to them? Washed their feet. He said they ought to do to one another as He had done to them. They ought to wash one another's feet. If He humbled Himself in such a manner to wash a sinner's feet, when He is Lord of all, how can we object to doing what He said in this matter? Are we holier than Jesus? This is a great example of humility in service. We perform this ordinance to remind us of this great principle - he that is greatest among you, let him be your servant. We are to serve one another, esteem one another more highly than ourselves, and put God first in all things. It's hard to exalt yourself above someone when you are washing his/her feet. A lot of church fights would be solved with a little feet washing.

I have felt great blessings through following this great ordinance and dearly wish more Christians would observe it as well.

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm puzzled. How do you "literally practice" feetwashing without it being an act where feet are cleansed?

9. Old Union Brother

As has been said several times it is an act of humility and serving your brothers.

10. Old Union Brother

Thank you dear brother for you beautiful words concerning feet washing. You certainly hit the mark.