1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does the KJV agree with Aleph, A, & B against the MT?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by franklinmonroe, Feb 12, 2009.

1. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Notice James 2:18 --
    Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I haue workes: shew mee thy faith without thy workes, and I will shew thee my faith by my workes. (KJV)

But some man wyll say, thou hast fayth and I haue deedes: shewe me thy fayth by thy deedes, and I wyll shewe thee my faith by my deedes. (Bishops')

Ye & a man might saye: Thou hast faith, and I haue dedes: Shewe me thy faith by thy dedes: and I wil shewe the my faith by my dedes. (Coverdale)

But some man might say, Thou hast the faith, and I haue woorkes: shewe me thy faith out of thy woorkes, and I will shewe thee my faith by my woorkes. (Geneva)

Ye and a man myght saye: Thou hast fayth and I have dedes: Shewe me thy fayth by thy dedes: and I will shewe the my fayth by my dedes. (Tyndale)

But summan schal seie, Thou hast feith, and Y haue werkis; schewe thou to me thi feith with out werkis, and Y schal schewe to thee my feith of werkis. (Wycliffe)

A "by" translation seems to be supported by Erasmus' texts, Stephanus, Beza's 1565 edition, and the majority of Greek manuscripts. For example, Stephanus' 1550 has two occurrences of the Greek word ek (Strong's #1537) meaning: out of, from, by, away from.

While a "without" translation seems to be supported by the Latin Vulgate, Aleph, Codex A, Codex B (and Beza's final three Greek editions). Predictably then, the GNT (the combined WH1881 & NA26) has a different word in the first phrase, choris (Strong's #5565) meaning: separate, apart. The following phrase does have ek.

2. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Sooo, it seems without the existence of those 'corrupt' Alexandrian MSS and the often maligned Catholic version there would have been virtually no surviving sources transmitting this genuine word of Scripture.

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Someone previously, although I do not remember who this was, has suggested that Theodore Beza, for all his considerable Biblical and language knowledge and numerous talents and abilities, was still not beyond occasionally emending the text in certain instances, for a better 'meter,' 'sound,' or to better support something he thought should actually be there.

I cannot say, but do know that Beza was the genius behind and Editor of 9 editions of the Greek NT following Robert Estienne (Stephanus) for more than 40 years between 1562 or so and 1605. In fact, the primary Greek text that underlies and is behind the KJV is the 1598 Edition of Beza, according to Dr. Scrivener.

Incidentally, I just saw where Theodore Beza was referred to as Dr. Theodore Beza, in a couple of places, and likewise Zane Hodges was referred to as Dr. Zane Hodges. While I do not believe either of these two individuals ever received any doctorate (or may have refused this, a la Philip Melancthon, and I believe also Charles Spurgeon and A. W. Pink), I admit I do not know this to be a fact. I would agree that all I have named above would certainly be among those I would consider deserving of such an award, along with such as William Tyndale, Miles Coverdale and William Whittingham.

By contrast, John Wycliffe, Martin Luther, and John Calvin all did receive (or were awarded) a doctorate, to name but three.

Can anyone else shed any additional light on Theodore Beza and/or Zane Hodges, and any "doctorate," merely to satisfy my own curiosity? I would suggest I do have a pretty good 'handle' on their ideas, in both cases, and in fact, I have had extended conversations (by telephone and at my own expense) with the late Zane Hodges two times.

Thanks,

Ed

#3 EdSutton, Feb 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2009