1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does "The Nativity" Movie Get It Right?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Marcia, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

I consider it a must see because it was a pretty good movie, not for any biblical reason. I also consider "Thank You For Smoking" a good, must see movie. The two could not be anymore different. The comment about Hollywood and Christian friendly movies has nothing to do with the Bible either. I, for one, am happy that there are more movies coming out that are good, clean entertainment. It is nice to have a greater variety of films that don't have the violence, cursing, and sex that have become staples in the typical cookie cutter film.

2. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I haven't seen it yet...but was wondering if the movie opened with any verses on the screen, kind of like the Passion did with a quote from Isaiah?

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just returned from seeing the movie with my family.
    We all thought it was better than "Esther", which we liked too.
    Quite inspiring!

Regarding the idea that Mary was treated poorly in Nazareth; read John 8:41, the Jews pressed Jesus saying, "We were not born of fornication
    ...".
    I'd guess that the story of his birth was known by some others than his family and believed by some, scorned by others.

Couple of things in the film bothered me though.... but they are merely technical things.

1. In the scene where they are sacrificing a bull... they looked like they were going to cut the bulls head off with a single downward chop of a small knife (rather than sliting it's throat).

2. Both Elizabeth and Mary gave birth in a modern western style rather than squating which would be more accurate.

The timing of the birth, the Maji's visit and Herod's killing of the young children was deceptive.
    I'm sure Herod didn't send the solders that same night that our Savior was born.
    And I'm sure
    Mary wouldn't have been able to leave for Egypt the day after giving birth.

4. Lastly, all movie long I was waiting for Mary's Magnificant (Luke 1:46-56).
    They finally had it at the very end.
    Fitting for the end of a movie but IMHO it is the most moving part of the Christmas story.

Rob

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bump :wavey:

5. redwards

redwards New Member

My wife and I saw the movie this past Saturday and we enjoyed the movie very much.
    As for villification of Mary?
    I didn't see it as villification; rather I saw it as visual illustration of what Joseph could have done within 'Jewish Law' at that time, yet chose not to because he believed the words of the angel sent by God.
    All in all, I think the movie stayed close to scripture, given the fact that it tried to meld the accounts of 2 gospel writings.