1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does the New Testament teach us that we can use instrumental music in worship

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by God's Word is TRUTH, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother Jeremy Slone

[QUOTE

A Wouldn't a better use of our time be to explore the ways in which we can work together to further the coming of the kingdom of God?

Tim Reynolds[/QUOTE]

well John the Baptist said it was at hand and Christ said in Luke 17:21 where it was at. but thats another topic and it don't look like we agree on that either.

The historical divide happened in 1827 with the Kehukee Declaration and in 1832 with the Black Rock Address among the Baptist in the United States and we have what is called Old School Baptist that may carry many handles but they do not use Music along with alot of other things other Baptist have that they would consider them New School. What was happening was many religions wanted to come together on a single point and organize and let the rest of the other issues slide and this brought the split.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Some people think that LSD, crack, cocaine, and heroin are great too. But that is not what the Bible says. There is nothing in the New Testament anywhere where you can validate that dancing is for today. If you can't back it up Biblically then your case if flawed and it is unbiblical. Give it up. It is carnal and of the world. Take a look at James 4:4. Whosoever is a friend of the world of the world is the enemy of God. Is that where you stand today.
    You started your post with the words "I think" That is your problem. Your opinion is of no consequence; either is mine. What does the Lord say? What say? That is what is important. He has revealed his opinion in the Word of God. You will find it there.
    DHK

3. FERRON BRIMSTONE

FERRON BRIMSTONE New Member

Acts 16:25 About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them.

1 Corinthians 14:7 Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the flute or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes?

Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.

Hebrews 2:12 He says, "I will declare your name to my brothers; in the presence of the congregation I will sing your praises."

Galatians 3:10 All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law."
    3:11 Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, "The righteous will live by faith."
    3:12 The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, "The man who does these things will live by them."
    3:13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree."
    3:14 He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.

John 5:15 The man went away and told the Jews that it was Jesus who had made him well. 16 So, because Jesus was doing these things on the Sabbath, the Jews persecuted him.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Where did I begin my post with "I think"? I don't see it ANYWHERE in my post! It's not my opinion.

Yeah - that's right - we're talking about drugs - something that is illegal - VERY on topic, huh?

I can completely back up using music and dancing in worship - all you can say is that God did not say any more to add in the NT to what He said in the OT - yet He never said to no longer do these things. Where has God changed? Last I knew, He was the same YESTERDAY, TODAY and FOREVER. Too bad you don't see God that way. It's quite comforting to me.

You know what my husband had to say about this? Titus 3:9 - "But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless." This argument is useless and unprofitable.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

Your comparison of drugs to a church's use of dancing are a bit extreme IMO. The NT makes a direct case of taking care of our body, the temple. The NT is silent on dancing, not against it.

Where is the prohibition? We all know there is dancing that is totally out of bounds for a Christian. That's not in question. But it would seem obvious that there is a form of dance that God does not reject. Otherwise, it would have been sinful in OT times.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Come to a proper definition of dancing.
    I believe that "dancing" was sinful in OT times, in the way that most people define dancing. The word in the OT has more the connotation of rejoicing. But that is not what is done today in the name of dancing. Dancing today, being justified by OT passages is pure carnality. As I pointed out in a previous post I believe there were only two types of dances in the OT:
    1. Either it was realted to military victories, or
    2. It was related to idolatry.

The Christian need not to be concerned with either one.
    DHK

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Here is your quote:
    DHK

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

I disagree that it could automatically be considered sinful. That's your extra-biblical interpretation (didn't say unbiblical, just extrabiblical).

1. Military victories--I would narrow it. Often times, they were rejoicing because of God's deliverance of them. It was a show of gratitude for God's deliverance...I don't think it was an early choreography of Queen's "We are the Champions."
    2. idolatry...no problem here. I agree. We should avoid that part.

Get ready to go ahead and condemn me.:tongue3: ..I'll be tapping my feet tomorrow. It's the only way I can play 2 keyboards with very different parts and not completely blow it.

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No condemnation from here.
    We have a talented musician from Newfoundland. He can't play his accordian without tapping his foot. It comes with the territory (his), I guess.

Anyway, it haa been interesting.
    This thread is due to be closed after having passed the 30 page mark. Feel free to start another.
    DHK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.