1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does the SBC and BMA have...

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by SaggyWoman, Dec 29, 2004.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

common roots, or are just some SBC churches call themselves missionary Baptist?

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, common roots. The BMA arose at the turn of the century from within SBC churches over the emphasis on Landmarkism and disagreements about the proper way to conduct missions.

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

The proper way to conduct missions?

There is a difference on Lord's supper and preachers in the pulpit, too, isn't there?

4. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would rather someone else respond, but I will give it a shot.

The BMA founders insisted that missions were the work of the local church, as opposed to the mission board system prevalent in the Baptist General Convention of Texas and the SBC at turn of the century.

As S.F. Ford said, "All delegated, divine authority is in the churches. Christ has no other executive bodies on earth. . . .

The (great) commission was given by Christ to the body of his disciples, as his church; and is now obligatory upon every church as a direct command from her Lord. . . .

In the execution of this work churches may combine and co-operate so as to be mutually helpful to each other by the organization of subordinate and subservient conventions and associations; but such conventions and associations are for consultation and advice only. . . ."

Yes; the original Landmarkers denied that other ministers were not truly ministers at all and thus were not eligible to fill the pulplit. (This was directed primarily against paedobaptists, but also was used against the Campbellites as well.)

There also was a good deal of convetion politics involved in the split, particularly in Texas, where unification efforts between the BMA and the BGCT came to naught.

5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Southern Baptist's of Texas (SBTC) have recently forged a working agreement concerning a Jr. College the BMA runs in Texas. They seem a bit like an odd pairing to me considering the huge differences in missions giving and Landmarkism featured in BMA churches. But I guess they found enough to agree on to be happy, although I have heard not everyone in the BMA circles was happy with the agreement. Many in the BMA still see the SBC as somewhat less then "pure" in doctrine.

6. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think it's all that odd. I think the BMAA has changed somewhat since the original split; the existence of Jacksonville College — owned by the BMA Texas — was something of a departure, given the original insistence upon the primacy of the local church. It is the oldest BMA-related college among the four currently operating.

In addition, the BMAA has its own missions program.

I think diagreement with the BGCT was enough to let them come together on this one.

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Certainly you have got to be kidding????

I am shocked.

8. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I still stand shocked. Amazed. Confused.

10. whatever

whatever New Member

That they are cooperating, or that some BMA people don't like it, or what?

11. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

That they are cooperating. Knowing some of what I know of BGCT, and knowing what I understand of the new group, I am still amazed at the alignment. Makes me wonder what the deal is. I know what I have been told by BMA-ers of what they believe, and though some still even in BMA churches have turned SBC, I cannot imagine why they would align like that.

12. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mutual dislike of the BGCT?

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What I found interesting is when I was a student HBU regularly published the weekly horoscope in its school newspaper. When I asked about that, I was told that non-Christian students work there and that is how it got into the paper. Yet it continued until I saw it last when I left. When I walked down the main hallway I saw a number of pictures of people who gave large amounts of money. How's that for honoring people with lots of money who decided to give.

Anyone who has pastored will tell you that those who usually give the highest percentage of their income is not the rich.

Remember who Jesus commend for her giving?

So I guess not much shocks me anymore. It's all about image. Got to look good on the outside.

14. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And yet the SBCT still runs from the label of "fundamentalist" in spite of the overwhelming evidence. I could careless if they make their way all the way to a merger with the BMA, they are local baptist churches who can do as they see fit, but the facts are the facts, you are what you are.

The question of the distrust of the BGCT is spot on. It is a thorn in the side that the fundamentalist who where not able to gain control of the BGCT. Though they have formed another convention, something they didn't allow in Missouri, there are still many who think that the fundamentalists are going to try again some day to make a move on the BGCT. Having Pope Paige at Southwestern is part of that plan. I think perhaps they are a bit paranoid about the whole thing and the next big fight is going to be within the ranks of the SBC itself over Calvinism. But that is just one Texans opinion.

15. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I don't know that I dislike the BGCT. Necessarily.

16. chris_price

chris_price New Member

I was raised in the BMA. God sought to have me saved their, He call me to preach, licensed me for the ministry and even married me off in the BMA. I had a distrust of the SBC at that time the BGCT only, due to ignorance and rumor. And by God's providence or humor, am at a SCBT church. What I have found is we are attracting students at the BMA Theological Seminary that used to attend Criswell, Liberty and ETBU. The BMA is conservative by all means. The only SBCT churches have knowledge of (two), are conservative also. But the pastors both held different views on theology and doctrine. The BGCT (Baptist God Can’t Trust) on the other hand are liberal as all get out!!!

The SBC broke of form their group, the ABA broke off or the SBC, and The BMA broke off of the ABA. Between the ABA and The BMA there were some differences of how money was being handled, a clash of powerful personalities and even a bit of politics. For the most part the ABA believe the BMA are not part of the bride, but some BMA’ers feel the same way about the. Go Figure? There has been some wounds healed between the BMA and ABA, but it is not fully healed.

Form what I understand there was so many students form the SBC attending Jacksonville College or Jacksonville Baptist College (Different that the seminary in the same town) that they looked into it, liked what they saw and donated some cash money. Enough to get a couple of seats on the board, they also have some seats on the Children’s home in Waxahachie too, which is a BMA entity.

Today the biggest difference is in close vs. close communion and how the missions done. By being autonomous, their may be individual differences form church to church.

Hope this helps

17. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What? Did you leave out a few words critical to the understanding of this post? I suggest that only because you pastor an SCBT church rather then a SBTC which I am sure is what you meant.

My guess is that you have never really met a "liberal" if the BGCT qualifies as liberal as all get out.

18. chris_price

chris_price New Member

Unfortunately I did. They had wine and King's Hawaiian bread for Open communion in a 500 member church. All out rock music for worship. Used liturgy. Sermon was on a Jerry Springer episode. Had a large oft he congregation was openly gay members. The Message translation was used as the Bible. The pastor graduated from Baylor and Truett. I guess it all comes down to what one man said when they were discussing the Bible," It's just a book anyway." This was a quote on the cover of the Baptist Standard. THat did it for me. I kept the issue for along time but I have misplased it.
    Not all BGCT are "of the Devil", some are just fine and very conservative. Sadly, most are not.

19. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like you where in a post-modern type church geared for outreach. Wouldn't expect ito look like or act like a "regular" church.