1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does this verse prove election?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Translation: The Bible is wrong, the theologians are right.

I quit.

2. dan e.

dan e. New Member

My friend, if you have time to read "volumes and volumes" of the "best thinkers" then I recommend restructuring your time. Let alone spending so much time on one issue....I don't care how much one claims to know about the Bible....I want to know God. Part of this does come by reading the Bible....but good heavens....volumes and volumes of someone elses interpretation??!! I don't think I'll waist my time.

I have a feeling we exault the "best thinkers" more than we should.

3. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We get people - on this Board too - who think so highly of themselves they don't need to listen to anyone else to understand the Word of God. Such, would do better not to read the Bible on their own at all, but rather listen to others, and be obedient.

In any case, I referred to the great writers and thinkers, because they are good, and I am not. Why would I be so arrogant as to try to say better what they have said perfectly well?

But deep down, it's nothing but laziness that causes men persist in their peevish errors. In fact, laziness is a fundamental depravity of man's nature. Christ frees whomsoever he saves from it too, and it tells afterwards!

4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

GE:

No, the addition is wrong, the theologians are right, and the Bible, proven right, once again. Never to quit!

5. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Anyone else agree with this?

6. dan e.

dan e. New Member

That is a problem. You are not good, indeed. Neither am I, but neither is any of our "great thinkers". We are all flawed and jacked up trying to get things together. You just proved my point that we elevate our "great thinkers" higher than we ought to. Though I do appreciate amazing insights of brothers and sisters in Christ, I do not do so because I think "they are good, and I am not". Rather, because they, like myself, am on a journey to know Jesus better. We are all a messed up bunch stuck on ourselves trying to unravel and become stuck on Jesus. Insights from others certainly help me in that. Caring about a "great thinker's" multiple volumes on how they interpret election may have some, but little help. I'm a little wiser than to get caught up in the error of scholasticism in our day.

7. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Nope. Not even a little bit.

8. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

May I ask a couple of questions?

What is election?

What are we elected to?

9. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

GE:

Why bother to know if nobody else's insights aren't worth a penny?

On this topic though, I wouldn't mind if I alone were to think I ought to listen to others.

10. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    dann e:

"I'm a little wiser than to get caught up in the error of scholasticism in our day."

GE:

It's not the least 'scholasticism in our day'. When you read a sermon (say of Spurgeon's), that's the Gospel being heard in truest 'evangelical' sense. To 'proclaim', while 'theologising', is good - a science, an art, a gift, not for everyone. So I'll keep on to regard our Christian 'great' men, highly --- MUCH higher than any I've come accross on this Board or in the churches where I have worshipped.

11. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    One cannot preach unless one is called - elected to the task and for the responsibility. That distinction exists today as ever before. It is from God, and not to be lightly dealt with.

12. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This pretty much says it all, I would say.