1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does true salvation result in good works?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by IfbReformer, Mar 25, 2003.

1. IfbReformer

IfbReformer New Member

The concepts are totally biblical. The solution is not to disguise correct terminology so that others feel more comfortable. The solution is through proper instruction and usage.

Consider Col. 1:22-23. Who are the saved people in that passage?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Colossians 1:22-23(NIV)
    "But now he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation-- 23if you continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant."

Ok preach,

We know Paul is speaking to Christians here - so what does he mean by the phrase "if you continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved from the hope held out in the gospel."?

Does he mean you can loose your salvation?

Does he mean if you do not continue in your faith you were never saved(never one of the elect)?

Then the other question comes in - what does "continue in your faith" mean? - does this mean daily Bible reading,prayer and church attendance or what?

I have some ideas on these things but I would like to see your answers.

IFBReformer

2. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

I take it as (and now that I am excerting my own opion I will probably say something heretical, so be patient with me) that all those who are saved will wake up every morning and say, "Today I trust in Jesus for my salvation, I lean up him for my present and future, trusting in His promises." This to say, they won't say, "I am saved because I went forward six years ago" if they think anything at all. Now, they probably where saved six years ago when they went forward, but if they are saved the will continue to trust in Jesus, because true saving faith is not going away. In that sense, they are saved because they Trust Jesus RIGHT NOW, though they have been saved for some time. It sounds all messed up but keep in mind that it is God that delivers us from our sinfull nature, and If God would give us His own Son, how will he not also give us everything else (Romans 8 - paraphased), It is He that sustains our faith, so that it is no more works that I must continue in my faith now then it was when I first believed. To God be the Glory! But continue on must, for that is what it seems to say there in Colossians, and in Hebrews, and in a few other places. It is enough of a reality that Paul could say in Galations, that if they continued on in works, he labored in vain!

3. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Pete, have you read Shreiner's book on perseverance?

4. RTB

RTB New Member

Without trying to speak for the others I do not think that is what anybody is saying.

Phillipians 1:4-6(NIV)
    "In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."

Ephesians 4:30(NIV)
    "And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption."

2 Corinthians 1:21-22(NIV)
    "Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come."

When we are saved we are indwelled with the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is not only our guide but he is also our deposit and guarentee of our salvation.

Is is possible to fall out of fellowship with God after salvation? Absolutely! Much of the Pauline epistles are written toward backslidden Christians encourage them to get right and live right for God.

In fact in the passages above Paul makes it clear that is possible for someone to grieve the Holy Spirit by there lifestyle - but this same person is "sealed for the day of redemption." by the Holy Spirit.

It was God who began the good work in you,it is God that makes you stand firm and it is God that will finish the good work in you.

I encourage you to get in church and stay in church, a Christian who is not in church is like a fish out of water - its not very healthy for you spiritually.

IFBReformer

IFBReformer

Thank you for that reply to a question that has been on the minds of more people that we are aware. This question was asked of me recently and I could not answer nearly as well as you did. Thank you.
    Also about true salvation. If a person says that they are saved then there spiritual status is between them and God. But by your works you will be known and if their life and "works" do not reflect Jesus in any way shape form or fashon, I won't doubt their salvation, but their Witness is in doubt and if your Witness is worthless, what use is your salvation to anyone else? And one more question, along this line. If someone can't explain the basic tenets faith or just the basic meaning of salvation, Is that person truly saved?

5. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

Preach,

Not yet. It has sat in my shopping cart on Amazon for some time now. It might be awhile before I can convince my wife to let me buy more books.

Pete

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I likewise use saved, sanctified and glorified as they are ALL good biblical words (Romans 8) and keep the distinctions clearer in the minds of most.

But I don't mind you using other words. :rolleyes:

7. IfbReformer

IfbReformer New Member

Preach - I think much of what we are speaking of has lead into the doctrine of perserverance of the saints.

I think when I get a moment to put my thoughts together I am going to put a new thread in the Calvinism/Arminianism forum.

Talk to you guys later.

IFBReformer

8. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Preach - I think much of what we are speaking of has lead into the doctrine of perserverance of the saints.

I think when I get a moment to put my thoughts together I am going to put a new thread in the Calvinism/Arminianism forum.

Talk to you guys later.

IFBReformer
    </font>[/QUOTE]No don't. Do it here. It isn't an issue of whether or not God has freewill or man is sovereign. Start your thread here.