1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does What Isaiah .....

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by ktn4eg, Apr 3, 2014.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

..... Told Judah Apply To Us Today?

One of the Bible study groups that I follow is covering the book of Isaiah. In this study, a brother pointed out that, while Isaiah was written some 700 years before Christ came to earth in bodily capacity, he believes that much of what Isaiah told Judah in his day could be applied to 21st century America.

While I know that Isaiah was directed primarily to the Jewish people living nearly 28 centuries ago, I'm not so sure that at least some of what that prophet could, in reality, have some application to our society today.

Here's a few selected passages I've lifted from the KJV that I believe could very easily apply to us today:

[1] (1:16-17) "Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil; learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge [i.e., 'seek justice'] the fatherless, plead for the widows;"

[2] (1:22-23) "Thy silver is become dross, thy wine mixed with water: thy princes are rebellious, and companions of thieves: every one loveth gifts, and followeth after rewards: they judge not the fatherless, neither doth the cause of the widow come unto them."

[3] (2:8-9) "Their land is full of idols; they worship the work of their own hands, that which their own fingers have made: and the mean [i.e., 'common'] man humbleth himself: therefore forgive them not."

[4] (3:11) "Woe to the wicked! t shall be ill with him; for the reward of his hands shall be given him."

[5] (5:20) "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!"

As I posted above, these are just a very few verses in just the first five chapters of Isaiah that, IMHO, could easily apply to our society in general.

I'd appreciate reading your comments (good or bad) on your "take" about whether or not these passages could apply to us today.

While these passages do present a rather gloomy scenario, we also have many very encouraging passages in Isaiah for those of us who have received Jesus Christ as our personal Savior.

One of my favorite passages is found in Isaiah 9:6-7 ---- "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty god, The everlasting father, The Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this."

2. thisnumbersdisconnected

Uh ... OK.

You sure this is the forum you were aiming for? :smilewinkgrin:

3. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

tnd: I posted my OP in the "Politics" forum based on the concept that the passages I cited had and/or have more to do with what I would consider a "political" application rather than a strictly theological application.

If any of BB's administrators and/or moderators deem my OP to be placed in some other forum, that's fine with me.

(Hope this answers your reply to my OP.)