1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does Your Bible Have Titles?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mine says, "Holy Bible"

Mine has titles for each book, at the top of each page. I have some that have chapter titles and some that don't.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ONE WITH TITLES.

Right after II Maccabees in my AV1611 it says in Matthew 5:18 "For verily I say vnto you, Till heauen and earth passe, one iote or one title, shall in no wise passe from the law, till all be fulfilled."

Not ONE TITLE shall pass.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

2. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "title" instead of "tittle"

This could be considered a change of sound between the 1611 edition and today's KJV that D. A. Waite overlooked in his inaccurate count of
    "only 421 changes to the ear from the 1611 original compared with the 1917 Old Scofield King James Bible of today" (FUNDAMENTAL MIS-INFORMATION, p. 53).

3. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I might ask well ask you scholars in this thread since it is related. I have always wondered about the book Titles themselves: "Mathew", "Acts", "Genesis", etc.

I assume the books in the OT were probably named before Jesus' time. Is this correct and does anybody know who did it?

When were the New Testament books named and who named them?

Finally, who specifically divided the chapters and verses?

Excuse my ignorance, but this is something I never studied and although I remember being told about it in the past, I have forgotten the answers.

Thank you,

4. natters

natters New Member

Mostly tradition. "Mark's Gospel, i.e. the Gospel that Mark wrote", etc. Interesting though, many of the OT books use the Greek/Septuagint titles, and not the Hebrew/Masoretic titles. E.g. ("Genesis" vs. "Bereshit", "Exodus" vs. "Shemot", "Leviticus" vs. "Vayikra", etc.)

Stephen Langton created the concept of chapters in approx 1227, to ease his work with Bible commentaries and other writings. Cardinal Hugo de Sancto Caro formally added these chapters to the Bible itself (in Latin) in 1248 A.D.

The first time verse numbers were used was the the Greek New Testament published by Robert Estienne in 1551.

The first whole Bible to use both chapter and verse numbers was the 1560 Geneva in English.

5. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    OT Book titles (not tittles) in our English Bible come from the Greek word (LXX) describing the contents of that Book.

OT Book titles in Hebrew are taken from the first word of each Book (in Hebrew).

7. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Huh??

8. natters

natters New Member

The first word of Gen 1:1 in Hebrew is "Bereshit", thus the Hebrew title of the whole book is "Bereshit". The first word of Exodus 1:1 in Hebrew is "Shemot", thus the Hebrew title of the whole book is "Shemot".

9. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Thank you very much Dr. Bob and a special thanks to you, natters for you detailed explainations of the verses, chapters, etc. It is amazing the knowledge available on this website. This sure beats fussing about whether we can only have one translation in English. [​IMG]

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just keep your iotes and titles straight, Phillip, and you'll be otay! [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    some titles of some O. T. books as found in the
    Matthew's Bible

The first book of Samuel called the first book
    of the kings

The second book of Samuel called the second book of the kings

The third book of the kings after the reckoning of the Latinities, which after the Hebrews is called, the first of the kings

On some pages the title at the top of the
    page as III Samuel while on other pages it has
    III kings

The fourth book of the kings as the Latinites recken which the Hebrews call the second of the kings

The chronicles of the kings of Juda
    The first book

The chronicles of the kings of Juda
    The second book

The first book of Ezra the prophet

The second book of Ezra, otherwise called the
    book of Nehemiah

The top of the page sometimes has II Ezra
    and sometimes Nehemiah

The book of the preacher, otherwise called Ecclesiastes

The ballet of ballets of Solomon

The book of the prophet Jeremy

12. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

When we start memorizing, I think we should memorize every period and every semi-colon since they are obviously inspired.

13. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have an old KJV, dating from the 1880s, & it has the titles of the books in Gothic print, as well as the first letter of the first word in each book enlarged & in Gothic. The names of the OT books are close to what Logos lists above, with the NT titles being, "The Gospel According to St. Matthew", "The First Epistle of St. Paul to the Corinthians", etc.