1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does your church do this?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HeDied4U, Jan 14, 2012.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Any of the traditions and traditional instruments too?

Psalm 150:3-5 "Praise Him with trumpet sound; praise Him with harp and lyre. Praise Him with timbrel and dancing; praise Him with stringed instruments and pipe. Praise Him with loud cymbals; praise Him with resounding cymbals."

2. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

None whatsoever. Thank God.

Just curious, do you dance in your worship service? Do you have a harp?

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

They are in scripture. Isn't all scripture inspired by God? I have been to a messianic congregation and dance was well planned. It was such a let down to go to my own church the next day with such sugar water from the pulpit compared to what I had heard the day before. When the pastor asked the congregation to turn to one of the minor prophets they did without any hesitation. Imagine that at the typical church.

4. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

In yet other Baptist churches (including mine), everyone greets everyone else naturally as they come in, and visitors are welcomed personally, as well as the general welcome to all given from the pulpit or in the notices.

5. Scribe

Scribe New Member

Our church does the "greeting thing" also, and I'm not crazy about it either. It just doesn't seem very sincere to me, especially when someone is shaking your hand and can't even look you in the eyes because they are looking for the next person they can "greet". :laugh:

6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Learn to play with your toes, so they can come and shake hands with you. I wouldn't want you left out, you know.....LOL

7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

In the ORB churches I have been to, they're pretty close to the same. When we come in, we go around and shake hands. During the last song before prayer, we go around and shake hands with each other. Some just shake hands with those around them, others will go around and shake as many hands as they can. I try to shake as many hands as I possibly can, especially the visitors. I also try to thank them for coming to be with us. At the end of the service, as we are singing the closing hymn, we go around and shake hands again. I find this to be pretty close to the norm with most ORB churches...or that's they way they do them in the ones I have attended.

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I used to belong to a church that had a BIG bottle of Purell placed on the pulpit. I am pretty sure it was Purell. One can never be to sanitary. Believe me, I know. I work in a hospital lab, where we come in contact with sick people all the time. The single best way to stop the spread of germs is hand washing. Also, a 70% hand sanitizer is supposed to get your hands cleaner than soap and water.

9. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

As mentioned before, I was away from the church for more years than I'd like to admit. A number of reasons for this, most of them my fault. Something I deeply regret, today.

During those years, we'd go to church from time to time. One in particular comes to mind. We walked in, sat down, heard the message and left. Other than a quick handshake from the pastor when we left, not another word of welcome. We didn't go back.

Where we are members now, what brought us back the second Sunday, was the warm welcome we received the first Sunday we attended. It began with the Greeter who took time to take us to the appropriate Sunday School class and introduce us, to the last handshake and "Hope you'll come back" after services. We're just ordinary folks. There's nothing special about us, yet we were treated as if we were "special". As if we were truly welcome!

We are the body of Christ, coming together on a Sunday morning for worship and fellowship. We're not a group of folks going to the town hall meeting to discuss a proposed zoning change. I don't expect a simle from the person handing out copies of the proposal. I don't expect each town commissioner to shake my hand. And definitely not a pat on the shoulder to signify appreciation for my presence. Especially when my presence may mean opposition to what's being proposed.

As members of the body of Christ, should we follow His example? If He could reach out and touch the unclean, should we at least extend a hand of friendship and welcome to all we can on a Sunday morning? isn't it better to err on the side of too much welcome than not enough?

Our church as two front entrances. It's interesting to observe who uses which, both on arrival and on departure. At the close of the worship service, some make a bee line to the secondary entrance and make their quick get-away. They are out of the parking lot before the pianist finishes the hymn that follows service. They leave as quickly as I do after a town hall meeting.

On the other hand, it may take 10 minutes to reach the porch at the main entrance. Enough time to make a visitor feel welcome. To offer a word of encouragement to someone facing problems. To congratulate another on a success. Or, to simply say "It's good to see you today."

A time for the members of the body of Christ to bond with each other.

10. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I am sorry for you and your wife's bad experience, and thankful for the second experience. If we don't show people we are glad to have them to fellowship with us, then why should we be shocked if they never come back? We should treat each visitor as if they were the most precious thing on earth. I am not saying we should overshower them with affection(that could do more harm than good to some people), but go out of the way to show them how much we appreciate them being there. "By my lovingkindness have I drawn thee."

This was a most excellent post, with many wonderful points. If we don't make them feel welcome, then they won't feel welcomed. And if they won't feel welcomed there, then they won't be back.

11. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Sorry about your personal experience with sugar water from the pulpit. There was no sugar water where I visited in Charleston. The sermon was from Hebrews 10:24-25. Dearth of good preaching is just as bad as meet and greet, well almost. With bad preaching you can just sit there and let your mind wander.

12. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Or text the pastor and tell him to step it up a notch cuz everyone's about to nod off.

Or sit patiently waiting for the dressed up whole raw chicken you set up with fishing line and a timer to start unreeling to start its slow descent from the opening above him where the baptistry is and watch as he stares in wonder as everyone's eyes appear glued to him.

Or put rubber duckies in the baptismal pool.

Or rearrange the colored chairs so that one color spells out the initials of a rival sports team.

(please pray nobody from my church reads this board)

13. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

My wife and I are dying to get back down to Charleston soon, need to work a visit there into the trip. :thumbs:

14. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I've seen that--someone shakes your hand on the move and doesn't even stop. They're just trying to see how many hands they can shake and aren't interested in chatting.

15. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

That's when I say ridiculous things, once I figure out the ones who will ask how I am and keep walking.

I'll respond with ridiculous things and they don't even notice.

"Died last night."
    "Terrible."
    "Empty and hollow."
    "Amazing, found out good news!"
    "Ask my husband."
    "I have no idea."
    "Chickens giggle."

It's a way to turn it into an amusement rather than a hurt, because it's just mean to ask and not listen to the answer! What if someone really was hurting or wasn't good? I'm sure it happens and "how are you" isn't an obligatory greeting, it's an actual question. If you don't want to know, DO NOT ASK.

16. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

More likely they dismiss you and your silly games.

Hand shaking time isn't the time to burden someone that you aren't good friends with by telling them all your life's troubles. The phrase "How's it going?" or "How you doing?" is simply a greeting that should be responded to with "Pretty good", "I've been better", or something like it.

It seems that some people around here are looking to make a big deal out of just about anything. It's hand shaking and meet and greet time. It's not pour your burdens out on everyone time. It's not oh they didn't stop and listen to all my problems time. It's not they didn't really get to know me right now time. Get over it.

17. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

I don't mind it. However, I don't like having it at the same time all the time, and sometimes we don't do it at all. It does seem to be an important part of edifying the community.

My main problem with it, is it almost breeds the fake. I hear many people who are frustrated with people painting a smile on their face and pretending to be happy (not to mention your friend). I think this can be helped by having a time during the week, like small groups, where people can actually do the weep with those who weep and rejoice with those who rejoice thing.

#57 mont974x4, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2012
  18. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Based on my experience, the best way to do this is to volunteer to help with anything and everything that comes along that's within your ability. Actually working with other people in the church is the best way to get to know them, IMHO.

In most situations where "work" is involved, it will be small groups. Not many want to mop the Fellowship Hall floor or pick up trash that's blown into the cementery.

If there's a new Bible study class on Monday night, go. If there's a Men's or Women's group meeting on Sunday afternoon, go. If you can sing, join the choir. If you can't sing, learn the sound system, so you can be there for choir practice.

If you worked all day Saturday at a fund raiser with Bob Smith, a wave, a smile, and/or a handshake is all that's needed on Sunday morning.

#58 Oldtimer, Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2012
  19. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

My new church is the hugginest church I've ever seen. If you come in expect to be bear-hugged by at least 5-10 people. Also expect the ones doing the hugging to be of different ethnicities, black, white, asian, hispanic.

I've been in some personal-nature churches before but this one is off the hook and they've been at it for decades this way.

I'm working to reign in the practice just a tad so we don't scare newcomers off. :thumbs:

20. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I remember moving from one side of the country to the other. In the state I'd been in, you could expect to get slugged if you got tried to hug a stranger. In the next one, strangers at church would dance up and throw their arms around you.
    I unintentionally pushed the first person because she took me by surprise. I felt sooo bad, then realized that it was just how things were.

I wonder if it not only varies in different areas, but between denominations. I remember going to a Catholic church with a friend as a teen and nobody touched anybody, or really even looked at each other much.

Practically got molested in a charismatic church.

Have been in IFB ones where the pastor distinctly made it clear that there was a three second rule, and he'd practically rip your shoulder off tossing your hand away if you hadn't yet gotten used to the grab and let go technique.

Hrm.

Maybe everyone would be happier if we just used our Bibles and touched others on the shoulder with it. :thumbs: It definitely would be unique! Tag 'em and say "May your day be blessed." I like it!