1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does Your Church Have A Dress Code?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by InTheLight, Feb 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Here's the problem I have with a strictly enforced dress code. One of our most faithful members was turned out of another ORB church because she was seen wearing pants UNDER her dress...not in church, either. They met her in the parking lot and excluded her there!!!! I get mad thinking of such STUPIDITY!!!!!!!!!! They eschewed Matthew 18 altogether!!! This church isn't in our correspondence because we allow men who are divorced/remarried to preach, whereas this other church won't even consider adding them as members. It's slowly dying, no getting around it.

When you turn someone out over wearing pants, you've went the extra-biblical route, imo.

Show me where women wore dresses to worship.

2. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I go to church wearin' my casual, comfortable clothes. A pair of pants, a t-shirt (hmm, well sometimes something a tad more dressy), and sneakers. *shrug* Having grown up in a family where you wear your "Sunday best", it's a nice change I think. Some do consider wearing nice formal clothes to be a sign of respect, though.
    My "church dresses" are now only brought out for formal occasions, such as funerals or weddings.

#42 evenifigoalone, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2014
  3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about their bibles brother? How about the husband being the spiritual leader and teaching the word daily to his family at dinner? How bout family prayer times & times alone in prayer on their knees with the Holy Spirit? how bout an active prayer life where every hour, every minute & every second is a little prayer of gratitude & love & dedication to the Lord.

Youve heard this......Praise God from whom all blessings flow. My family believes this, its imprinted in their hearts & because they know their lives are better with Him than without Him. I would humbly suggest we all start there. After Grace of course.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good! VERY GOOD. IN ALL GODS SPEED!!!
    I would be at that church Sunday with a sermon that would burn their Hypocritical hearts.....they are out of order. These are the very reasons that people turn their backs on those Dagnabit churches. And who could blame them for doing so, Not I and certainly not GOD.

John 8:7

King James Version (KJV)

7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

Let His Grace & Mercy rule the day .....and stop trying to dictate to God what he wants. Yea, Id humiliate each and every last one of those hypocrites.....but then again, I am not without sin.

Perhaps burkas are in order. :tongue3:

#44 Earth Wind and Fire, Feb 17, 2014
  5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I hate to see any church wither away, Brother Steve. :tear:

TBS, they're doing it to themselves.

Also, I couldn't preach there. I am not in their correspondence, and only those they correspond with, can preach, take communion/feet washing, with them. Anutter :tear:

6. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I Like very much. Sounds to me like Missus Mohler is as intelligent as Mr. Mohler.

#46 OldRegular, Feb 17, 2014
  7. OldRegular

How could another Church exclude one of your members?

You need to cool off and consider what Scripture states about the dress of men and women.

Deuteronomy 22:5. The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman’s garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

Now in this country, in fact in most of the western world except Scotland, men wore/wear pants and women wore/wear dresses. So historically, in the western culture and certainly in this country. when a woman wears pants or a man wears dresses they are in conflict with the admonition of Scripture. Frankly I agree with Scripture even though my wife wears pants on occasion though never to a meeting of the Church.

Convicted1, before you blow a gasket over women wearing pants consider what you would do if one of the Elders came into the worship services or stood to preach wearing a dress! I can pretty well guess!

8. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are men's and women's pants these days, so I tend to think it doesn't go against scripture at all.

9. OldRegular

You are correct since I consider that the Church is always in Biblical times.

10. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

No, you misunderstood. Sorry about that. She was excluded from that ORB church not in our correspondence. She then came to us, knowing our pastor for years. He used to be assistant pastor at the church she was excluded from. She's one of our most faithful members, btw. It's STUPID to exclude a woman based solely on being spotted in public with a pair of pants UNDER her dress. Hosea stated, "My people are being destroyed because of lack of knowledge."

That's well and good...but women didn't wear dresses back then. They all...both men and women wore robes. Now, the woman's garment at that time I have no idea what it was.

That's historic, and that may be true. But during biblical times, women didn't have dresses, but robes, imo.

Men wearing dresses is far different than women wearing pants. They have pants women's pants that fit women. They're not "fitted" for a man. Our hips are differently shaped and wouldn't look right. There are no dresses designed for a man....closest would be a kilt...

But to exclude over wearing pants is absurd...

11. OldRegular

You are really ignoring the Scripture, or at least pussyfooting around it, and an Elder, or a plain ole brother or sister, should not do that. Whether the women wore dresses is irrelevant but I would say a "robe" is more like a dress than it is pants!

This is Biblical times for the Church! It is always Biblical times for the Church!

Please? Tell me why:
    The fact is that in western culture pants are men's wear and dresses are women's wear. That the pagan culture outside the Church designs pants specifically to fit women is irrelevant. If that pagan culture designed dresses to fit men would you then say it is OK for an Elder to stand before the congregation and preach?

12. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Okay Brother OR, what if they excluded your wife for cutting her hair and/or wearing pants in public? Would you stay at that church?

13. OldRegular

You are dodging the questions brother. I asked:

14. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Here's the question. When the book of Deuteronomy was written, did men wear pants and did women wear dresses? If not, then where did the idea of women wearing dresses to church made a prerequisite/biblical mandate to attendance?

15. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I am not dodging your ?. I thought I addressed it. I am sorry if I didn't.

We need to look at how the times were when each book of the bible was written. During the days when Deuteronomy took place/was written, there weren't dresses for the women to wear and no pants for men to wear. Now how can this be taken for men to wear pants, and more importantly, women to wear dresses?? Now, I believe men need to look like a man a a woman look like a woman. A woman can look womanly in pants, but a man can't look manly in a dress...

Maybe Joe Stampley and Moe Bandy could, seeing they sung the song, "Where's the Dress?", poking fun @ Boy George... :laugh:

#55 convicted1, Feb 17, 2014
  16. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Now that I've addressed your post(s), will you please address this post below???

17. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Brother Baker, let me give you a deeper reason why I am against this. The church I mentioned, has always had "double standards". I know this for myself, seeing my uncle is a deacon, I have two aunts that are members, and a few cousins. My uncle who is a deacon, has been "hen-pecked" his whole life, and the church knows it. That excludes him from being a deacon, but he's still considered one. Quite a few of their believers have never worked, and have lived off welfare for decades. Some have made debts they refused to pay. Yet, they chose to exclude this sweet little Sister for wearing a pair of pants(maybe they were bluejeans) UNDER her dress in the winter to keep herself warm. They met her IN THE PARKING LOT and excluded her. They failed to adhere to Matthew 18, because no one went to her, and her alone, FIRST. That's why it bothers me.

18. pk4life

pk4life Member

Is a trench coat a mans garment, or a woman's garment?

I wonder what Deuteronomy 22 has to say about it:

5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God.

This obviously means that a man should not wear a trench coat.

19. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

When you appeal to culture, as in culturally for centuries in the Western world women wore dresses and men pants, you immediately have just given permission for women to wear pants to church, as CULTURE HAS CHANGED.

Now, my years in Wyoming and ND taught me to put common sense ahead of bullheaded men dictating what I can wear. Let THEM put on a dress, heels, and pantyhose and go to church in the next raging blizzard. Til they do, they can just hush up.

No, no dress code per se. But as folks get saved you do see them focus on modestly--covering what needs covering in clothes not skin tight, and giving up ostentatious dress. Maybe Mrs. Mohler needs a trip forward for rededication for advocating what scripture forbids, honoring the better dressed.

20. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, give us a break! We're not southerners, we're on the northern island of Hokkaido! :tongue3:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.