1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does your city have a Cinatown?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by UnchartedSpirit, Apr 4, 2006.

?
  1. yes

100.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

The poll is as simple as the title...or it is the title with a few more questions...famus is relative....

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

We don't have a chinatown, I'm not sure any chinese or other asians live in our town at all. We do have a minority part, across the tracks, called, henrytown, enough said. ( a name I never use, it racist, or at least it is meant that way). I think the only minorities in our town are black and hispanics, and a few Indians (from India, who are doctors and hotel owners).

3. North Carolina Tentmaker

We have a Chinese restaurant. Does that count? We also have a Mexican place and a pizza place; total culinary diversity.

4. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In Toronto we have about 6 "Chinatowns".
    We also have a Little Italy, Greektown, Little India, Portugal Village, Koreatown and Little Poland.
    I've always loved that about Toronto, that you don't need to travel the world to have high quality international cuisine.

5. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Philadelphia's Chinatown is quite famous, with many, many fine restaurants, and an old Chinese Baptist Church. It is located in a part of the "downtown" area.

In my area in the northeast part of town, we have a large Korean and Vietnamese community, also with many great places to eat.

But in my immediate neighborhood you can find food from all of these ethnic groups:

Chinese, Italian, Portuguese, Puerto Rican, Korean, Vietnamese (also a Vietnamese Baptist Church!), Indian, Jamacian, and Haitian (and a French-speaking Haitian Baptist Church!). Our market also stocks food from Ireland and the UK in its ethnic aisle, along with Jewish, Mexican, and Asian.

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I live just south of San Francisco. That's home to the original Chinatown. Not to mention the Mission District, home of the giant (at least by Mexican standards) burrito; then there's Daly City aka East\New Manila. In the South Bay, Fremont is known as Little Kabul for its Afgan population.

7. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Miami IS a "minority city" with over 50% of the residents being born in another country and more than 50% of the residents speaking a language other than English at home. It's not all Spanish either -- could be French, Hebrew, Portuegese, or whatever.

For example, in our office of 20 staff, we have colleagues from the following: Cuba, Jamaica, Trinidad, Nicaragua, Honduras, and the Bahamas - and some even born in the USA.

8. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

The population of my city is under 4,000. The Chinese restaurant is also a hotel, and all the workers and their families live there. Is that close enough? Oh, wait, the owners of the Chinese restaurant are Korean. Nevermind.

9. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

We have almost the same thing here in Orlando. I live about a block from Universal so my own neighborhood is usually a melting pot of tourists with some locals, of all nationalities and ethnicities mixing in. Other than that there are certainly areas that are predominatly more one race/ethnicity than another. I think that would be found in most places, though. On the whole Orlando is pretty diverse.

10. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

You're right, Orlando is becoming much more diverse. I travel up there on occasion, both on business and to see Mickey & Minnie, and have begun to notice the difference -- especially down toward the Kissimmee area, which has a large Puerto Rican population. For us, however, a visit to Orlando is a visit back to the states.

11. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

[​IMG] I always thought Orlando was diverse, but then again when my parents moved us here in '93, I was coming from the small rural town of Westminster, Md. For as long as I have been here Orlando has had large Haitian and Jamaican populations, as well as Puerto Rican. I'm sure we don't compare to Miami, but we are getting there. Personally I like all the diversity. It makes things interesting.

12. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Hmm I don't get out much but as far as I know we don't have a chinatown. lol We seem to have all types of people but maybe mostly white.? I would need to look up the stats of my town to really know. Lots of rednecks though. :D

13. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

wow I could go visit Robertson's church. I don't think SF's Chinatown is as respectable as Oakland's though. The restraunt quliaty is way better for one thing...

14. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

We don't have a "Chinatown" but we do have Cuban Chinese restuarants. Do they count???