1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does your nativity scene tell the truth?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by J.D., Dec 13, 2007.

1. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's an avoidance, not an answer.

2. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I don't have one (we live so far back off the road, nobody would see it anyway) but I put one together for one of the families in our church.

The lights are arranged so that the shadow of a cross falls across the manger.

3. trustitl

trustitl New Member

I posted this on the thread about Rick Warren and came here next. I thought it might be appropriate here as well.

Just a reminder that these "bulleting boards" on the information super highway may be looked at by people seeking information about Jesus.

Eph. 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. 30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. 31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

Edited later:
    "Bulleting" was an unintended mistake and should have read bulletin (or maybe it shouldn't have ).

4. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I grew up so far back in the woods that I thought a nativity was something only catholics do. When I left the farm and went to the big city I found out otherwise.

5. trustitl

trustitl New Member

The original post was an honest question. If you think it does not matter, state that and why in the right spirit.

I think "standingfirminchrist" hit the nail on the head as to what happened here.

6. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

How is it that pursuit of the truth genders strife?

7. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Perhaps, one could put the shepherds out on Christmas Day, and then take them away on, let's say, December 26th (as they are out spreading the good news). Then on January 6th one can place the Wise Men and their camels at the scene. :cool:

8. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But you have to change the manger scene to a small house before the wise guys show up.

9. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Most north american nativity scenes "lie" by having Anglo-Saxon characters when most of us realize that they were really Middle-Eastern/Arab looking. They also probably have 1st century fashion all confused, missing the drab colours that were in-style at that time. ;)

#29 Gold Dragon, Dec 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2007
  10. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Okay guys, I know I'm trying to make a mountain out of a bump in the road, but I just wanted to see if anyone would belly up and admit that the common nativity scene tells a lie. The wise men saw Jesus in the house, not the manger. I think if I had said "Does your nativity scene depict the manger scene with complete accuracy" people would have said "well of course not, everyone knows that". But notice how quickly feathers got ruffled because I used that word "lie".

Don't we find it convenient to re-define a lie to be an insignificant inaccuracy?

How can we criticize the catholic church for taking liberties with extra-biblical inaccuracies when we are guilty of the same thing?

11. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

Whatever.

You know, a stable is technically a house for animals. Who decided that it was the nativity that was lying?

12. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

I would like to know if Mary, Joseph and the babe were lying in the manger, or if it was just the Babe. Luke 2:16

This is a nativity you could copyright.:thumbs:

13. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Whatever.

But technically, accuracy matters.

14. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Ah...good point.

(But then where would we put Nester the donkey? :laugh: )

15. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

The stable could have been attatched to a house (like an attatched garage), so when the Astrologers got there, they stood in the house, looking through the doorway, and worshipped the babe in the stable.

By the way (I almost forgot); even if you have the wise men in the right place, if they don't have gold, frankincence, and myrrh (as opposed to a cheap and rather deceptive misrepresentating (and prpbably lead-based) paint on these gifts), then you, sir, are as or more guilty that those you judge, and therefore you will be judged in like manner.

Ah wih nah wemove da dongue fum my sheek.
    (I will now remove the tongue from my cheek.)

16. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

"And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him:"

No "looking through the doorway" in that. Besides, nativity scenes do not depict them looking through a doorway so it's a moot point.

I please innocent to not having gold, frankincence, and myrrh as might be required in an accurate representation of the nativity because I don't display nativity scenes, period. But I appreciate the tongue in cheek.

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

Actually....it's more like, "some of us find being called liars offensive; particularly when we have a symbolic interpretation (nativity scene) to remind us of Christmas' true meaning and message. Want to disagree with it? Fine. But expect folks like me to not be happy when you accuse us of "lying." I don't agree with your accusation, nor do I appreciate it.

Yeah, some folks don't like being called liars. Can't imagine why.

Nah...ya think?

If you get consistent....things get silly fast: many churches have crosses in them. If said crosses aren't exactly like the one Christ was crucified on, then we are "lying." Stained glass windows? Probably full of "lies." Got a photo/painting of the "empty tomb?" It better be "100% accurate," or you're "lying."

See how silly this gets?

#37 rbell, Dec 13, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  18. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So are mirror reflections and photographs. That commandment says to "...not make any likeness of anything..."

19. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Appreciate it or not, it's still lying if you know it's wrong and you display it anyway.
    I agree. One reason why crosses should not be displayed.
    Again, I agree!
    Hay, we agree again!!!

20. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

You may have a point there, but at least a mirror or photograph is an accurate representation of the object.