1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Doesn't Hebrews 2:3 Show The Sign Gifts Had Already Ceased?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Yeshua1, Oct 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awaken

awaken Active Member

Maybe you can explain Acts 1:8 "But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me..."

Or maybe...Mark 16:17 "and these signs shall follow them that believe..."

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

HCL is a poison. Drink some if you wish. So is Draino. Has some lately?

No need to talk me about snakes. I probably know more about them than you do, and been a lot closer to them than you have.

The question is: do you pick them up? Do you drink poison? Do you follow in the footsteps of the Apostles? The answer is no. There are no more apostles today. The gifts have ceased.

The Scriptures record how a poisonous snake attached itself to Paul's arm, and the natives thought that he was both cursed, and that he would die. Paul was neither. He was not cursed, and he didn't die, nor was he even harmed. Things like that did happen to the apostles. There is one recorded incident for us. But I don't recommend for you to "tempt the Lord your God," and try it.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The power they receive was from the day of Pentecost--the same power available to every believer--the Holy Spirit which indwells us. It is not a special power. "After that the Holy Ghost is come upon you" specifically refers to the Day of Pentecost. It was a historical event, never again to be repeated.

See my above post for an explanation of Mark 16:17.
    Don't be a hypocrite! If you really believed in those signs and wonders then you would be practicing them as they are written but you don't. So you are nothing but an arm chair hypocritical toothless speculator of the Bible.

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Speaking in tongues is speaking in a language, like Greek or Spanish, which you have never learned because the Spirit of God has gifted you to do so.

It is not senseless babblings like is heard in Church of God, Assemblies of God, Charismatic and Pentecostal churches today. Tongues was NEVER that.

Furthermore, tongues is God giving revelation. Tongues is the WORD OF GOD. When you have millions of people all over the world every week getting MILLIONS of words from God, then you have an open canon- a WIDE OPEN CANON!!

Either we have the complete word of God in the Bible, or we do not. Which is it?

Furthermore, even when the sign/revelatory gifts were still in operation it was not rampant. It was rare. The only place where it was common was rebuked for it being so common. Paul said to the Corinthians- "How come when you come together every one of you speaks in tongues??"

I don't mean to be insulting, but let's be honest- this whole tongues business is the biggest, most unfounded, most unbiblical mess in the history of the evangelical church.

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Welcome back Brother Luke!!!

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    verse 19,20......explains verse 17....just understand the context;

if everyone had apostolic gifts.....they would not be singled out constantly as......THE LORD WORKING WITH THEM.....

The establishing of the word of God is the greatest ...GIFT......

15 Moreover I will endeavour that ye may be able after my decease to have these things always in remembrance.

16 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.

17 For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

18 And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount.

19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

the word ...once... is the word for once for all time...

17 But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ;

#46 Iconoclast, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2012
  7. awaken

awaken Active Member

So you still have not searched out the poison and snake reference in the Bible?
    It would benefit you to do so! Again I say IN THE BIBLE!

8. awaken

awaken Active Member

The power of God is demostrated throughout the Bible! The power of God is still here today!

9. awaken

awaken Active Member

I will agree that it is a supernatural ability to speak a language that you have never learned or understand unless the HS gives you the interpretation.

I am not in those churches! Every language will sound like babble if you do not know it! Some we recognize if we have heard it in the past.

The written word is complete, yes! But no where does it say the manifestations of the Holy Spirit have ceased. It only said they will cease when Jesus returns.

Honesty would be that satan has confused the gifts of God! God does not want us to be ignorant of them! Satan does!
    Tongues were not meant to be spoken in church unless there was an interpretation. Buy they are never to be forbidden!

10. awaken

awaken Active Member

In context it is the ones that believe the preaching of the apostles that the signs would follow. The apostles were already believers at this point. So 17 is referring to those that believed their preaching.

So are you saying that the Holy Spirit is not our teacher today too?

THe whole word of God! In the word of God it talks about the manifestations of the Holy Spirit in believers lives! That is the word too!

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

(Geneva) And shall take away serpents, and if they shall drinke any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them: they shall lay their handes on the sicke, and they shall recouer.

Even some of the oldest translations that we have agree with me.
    Your problem is that you want to allegorize "serpent." Am I right?

However when it comes to "drink any poisonous or deadly thing" the Greek is as clear as it gets. It is exactly what it says, and there is no maneuvering for anything else. So go and swallow your HCL and draino.

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Awaken,

The Holy Spirit quickens the word...that is why He gave it. We do not have to wonder what the word is...because the Apostolic word...THE FAITH....has been given ..once for all.....

Awaken....God at times in History had allowed angelic beings to appear, smite people with blindness, kill 185,000 people in one night,etc...that does not mean He is doing that now.
    What God has ordained is faith in His word.

The word of God talks about sign gift manifestations...be cause they happened. It talks about the red sea parting also....but not everyday.

13. awaken

awaken Active Member

Your sweet spirit is nice!:smilewinkgrin:

So much more to the poison and serpents...they understood what he was saying back then! But we will not unless we search out how he used serpents/snakes and poison in reference to the religious crowd,

14. awaken

awaken Active Member

He talks about the manifestation of the spirit so we will not be ignorant about it!

15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No....he talks about the gifts to those who had them...explaining how they would function at that time.He did not want THEM...to be ignorant....but instead directed them back to scripture.

16. awaken

awaken Active Member

The gift is the Holy Spirit! I do not see where any are denied the Holy Spirit that believe. The manifestation of the Holy Spirit is what is explained in 1 Cor. and that is what they do not want them to be ignorant on! They did not have the complete word of God in 1 Cor. so what were they directing them back too?

17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    They were directed back to Ot scripture. plus the Apostolic word....which was being confirmed by the signs...

18. awaken

awaken Active Member

Again...more than just the apostles manifested the Holy Spirit! Heb. 2:3 does not prove the manifestations have ended!

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I have addressed this quite a bit. I believe you are getting into heresy. God Almighty, the Creator of Heaven and earth, the triune Godhead, to whom every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of the Father, He being three persons and yet one God is not a gift.
    He is the giver of gifts.
    He is your Creator; your Maker.
    He is the potter; you are the clay.

His gift to you via the cross, and only if you will accept it as a a gift, is eternal life or salvation. He is not the gift. He is the Giver of the gift.

Your premise is flawed. That flawed premised demeans God Almighty.

20. awaken

awaken Active Member

So what is the gift "of the Holy Spirit?"

In Acts 2 it is God who made the promise, and who, through His Son Jesus, pours out (what?) on people. God is the Giver; holy spirit is His gift to mankind. You call this salvation...the Bible calls it Holy Spirit.

What were they filled with in Acts 2:4? THe holy Spirit!

Acts 10:45.."The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the GIFT of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles."

A friend can be a gift from God! The Holy Spirit was sent unto us to guide us! Anything given from God is a gift to us! Even the air we breath!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.