1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Donald Trump Foreign Policy Genius

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by InTheLight, Jun 24, 2016.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's a tweet from Donald Trump earlier this morning.

Trump Brexit.JPG

And here is the result of the Brexit vote in Scotland:

Trump Brexit3.JPG

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeup, like mamy Americans he confuses Scotland with England. Then there are others who confuse Cornwall with the barbarians to the North.

3. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I noticed how he made the quote about him.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But isn't Scotland part of the UK?
    and if so, if the UK left the EU, then didnt Scotland leave the EU
    Trump was in Scotland - thus mentioning that country.

Did I miss something?

5. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, Trump said that Scotland took back their country and they were going wild about it. The reality is that Scotland voted 62% to stay in the EU. They didn't want to leave. They weren't celebrating anything.

Then again Trump saw thousands of Muslims cheering on rooftops on 9/11..

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, take a look at the map. Scotland voted 62% Remain. It's like blaming Minnesota for Reagen

7. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They were going wild about it in Scotland, but for the exact opposite reason from what Trump apparently assumed. Not surprising - for all the spin-doctoring we see from the MSM, The Donald exhibits an absolute mastery of the practice. And news reports from that part of GB suggest that a second referendum on Scottish independence may be in the offing, another way of "going wild".

8. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Go easy on Trump...he has a good brain.

*laugh*

9. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just to be clear, no one has left anything yet. The UK as a whole has voted to leave the E.U. Scotland as a whole voted to stay in but they are overruled by the English majority.

At some point the UK will give notice to quit to the E.U. There will then be 2 years of divorce proceedings before we finally get our country back.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, what you have here is going to be a second Scottish independence vote and this time it will most likely succeed.

And Scotland did vote heavily in favor of staying in the EU but that area has always been pro-government and pro-union and they haven't felt the brunt of being stuck in the EU - 8k/250k "refugees" live in Scotland. Donald Trump has to be able to analyze election results, he was speaking for the UK in general.

But what it is is a big foreign policy failure for Obama, who went over there to "warn" them not to leave the EU. This was a British (and soon to be Scottish) issue that Trump and Clinton should've stayed out of IMO .

11. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

ClLS1ipUYAAAxzV.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lewis

Lewis Active Member
    Site Supporter

Maybe Trump should have crossed the border into England before making his comments. Big deal.

The Scots are threatening to leave UK and join the European Union on their own. Probably the English will say Farewell. Best of luck.

"Income taxpayers in the rest of the UK will continue to subsidize Scotland by billions of pounds every year even after the Scottish Parliament wins control of the levy, a major new report published today has concluded." LINK

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Will the English really say "Be on you way; best of luck"? Scotland has been part of the realm since 1707 (longer if you count the shared throne since 1603), much longer than any American state has been part of the American union. Technically, the current royal house is descended from the Scottish Stuart dynasty. It may be that England-Wales-Northern Ireland will have no choice but to let Scotland go, but I don't think it will be easy on many levels. And is it possible that Northern Ireland — which voted to remain — might finally reach an arrangement with the Republic of Ireland, which is a member of the EU?

15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Trump did see quite a number of Muslims cheering on rooftops and if he saw any crowd at all his statement was appropriate.

16. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    London pays the welfare checks given to the Scots. The Scots would have to get a job if they left the UK.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Lewis

Lewis Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am acquainted with a few English citizens and they would be more than happy for Scotland to go their own way, sentimental reasons notwithstanding. Also I've read many columns such as this one over the last few years:

'Good riddance! QUENTIN LETTS is fed up with ungrateful Scots gorging on our money. He says give them independence...

'My grandfathers fought in the two World Wars. My family has long been royalist. With Scottish, Anglo-Irish and Canadian blood in my veins, I should be a grandchild of Empire, unstinting in my support for a union which has served us for more than 300 years.

But I simply can’t get worked up about it. I have tried to hurl myself into a unionist frenzy. Nothing happened. My heart remained as cold as a car battery on a January morning.

We English have grown tired of being hated, of being blamed for everything, of being forever the indulgent paymaster and scorned cousin.'
    LINK

18. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is that. There is a certain resentment of the English that every other nation within the union has a discrete parliament except the English, who are subject to the whims of the other nationalities.
    Maybe the English are ready to give up on the multinational state that is the United Kingdom. If so, they should be prepared to give up both Scotland and Northern Ireland and make Parliament strictly an English affair. I don't think they've thought through the issue, though. England-Wales will, though a sizable power, will be a truncated state (borders it has not considered until now) and unable to rely upon many advantages it has grown accustomed to. Maybe that's what they want: the end of Great Britain and the ascendancy of England. But maybe Wales will want out too when it sees where everyone else is going.

19. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    As to "ungrateful Scots": It has often been an unhappy union, even though the Scottish Enlightenment pulled England into world supremacy. Yes, the Scots are recalcitrant, but that's to be expected. They're Scots. If the English didn't want the Scots, they should have left them alone.

20. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    All in all, some folks are treating Brexit as if it's not important. It is. The firmest ally of the United States has been the UK. Can we count upon the constituent parts?

• Agree Agree x 2