1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Donald Trump Releases Plan to Make Mexico Pay for Border Wall

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Apr 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for answering the question. Looks like you've thought it through.

I presume you would have a safeguard in place to ensure the sender was a US citizen, perhaps requiring a social security number to be used to verify identification? Or perhaps a number from a particular line on the most recent 1040 form tax filing?

Anyway, you see the same problem I do--anybody sending money anywhere outside the country would be presumed guilty and have to prove that they were legal citizens.

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely ITL, the system software would have to edit the information and send it to ICE with (perhaps) a gestapo style on-the spot "detainment" of the sender if necessary.

The more one thinks about the more impractical it sounds which was your point from the beginning.

HankD

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I guess that's how he and Bernie draw their crowds. They just say stuff. Doesn't matter if it's workable or not. Just say whatever you think folks want to hear.

Mad at the illegals? Well I'm gonna build a wall and make them pay for it.
    Mad about tuition? In Oprah-esque fashion...You get free tuition. And you get free tuition. And you get free tuition. EVERYBODY gets free tuition!!!

How?
    Hillary made some speeches to Wall Street. We must break up the big banks. And I've never taken money from the billionaires.Rolleyes

Both he and Trump sound like they are a few eggs short of a dozen.

4. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hank I like you. I wish everybody would just stop for a second and see what good behavior in debate looks like. Hank stated a position and actually thought it through. There was no ego to protect, just a desire to have the conservation and weigh the information. You are one of the good ones Hank.

• Like Like x 2
  5. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well it is if he does and just if he does become President. If the Donald will keep that promise or go back on it. Many politicians have gone back on promises. Remember George H.W. Bush's Read My Lips, No New Taxes speech?

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

This is absolutely true. And the minute one company starts doing this, shell companies off shore will start popping up to receive and resend the remittances to Mexico. It is virtually impossible, again, to completely block money transfers without completely controlling the internet.

Not to mention that there are banks now that allow you do Person to Person transfers, or person to bank account transfers.

There are simply too many ways to get that money to Mexico.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks UOT your OK as well.

HankD

• Like Like x 1
  8. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I build a college, I expect the students to pay for it too! Higher education is not an entitlement, it is career enhancement and it comes with a price! Again, you are blurring the lines between fantasy and reality! Barefoot

9. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah as many ways as there are for them to sneak over the border and try to live here illegally! Great point!

10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do realize Zaac was speaking AGAINST Bernie, right?

And by the way: you don't have to make the students pay for it directly. You increase federal payments, based on raising taxes, and students then spend the rest of their lives under heavy taxes paying it back. But at the time, it appears "free."

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    About as impractical as detecting bank fraud.

It just takes the flip of a switch.

12. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which switch? Where?

Is there a giant OFF switch for money transfers?

Please elaborate. I really want to know how this plan would work.

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Aaron,

I have been a software architect/engineer for going on 50 years and I have yet to see a system that just takes "the flip of a switch" to consistently detect bank fraud.

While we are relatively safe, no sooner does a new system installation or new system upgrade take place that our "friends" and enemies alike are working to crack it and usually succeed in less than a year.

The challenge is to stay ahead of them.

Russia, the Ukraine and China are the most enterprising software hackers of our banking systems.

HankD

#113 HankD, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Again, thanks Hank. As I mentioned before, I do some consulting to help design remittance apps. So I get to deal with the front end and the back end. There's a lot more involved than just flipping a switch. And with the advent of the internet and the dark web, there's no one bottle neck that can be squeezed to stop the flow of information.
    Multibillion dollar corporations don't have any problem finding and paying top dollar for hackers to help them get around "inconveniences".

• Like Like x 1
  15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed, hackers are the number one fly in the ointment of the IT Industry.

HankD

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Flip of a switch" was a figure of speech, obviously. The point is, systems can be and are implemented, not because they're practical, but needed.

17. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Sure they can be. But blocking remittances is neither practical nor needed. As I said earlier, we export several hundred billions of goods to Mexico every year. And our unique trade agreement with them causes them to be one of the few countries with which we actually have a trade surplus. Last number I saw was over 130 billion dollars over a handful of years.

Why on earth would we mess that up over a wall?

If you want money to build a wall, then change the production sharing agreement.

#117 Zaac, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  18. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You keep saying this. How about some details. There are two people on BB that work with this EXACT sort of technology on a daily basis and they say Trump's plan is a fool's errand.

First of all tell us how you would separate the illegal immigrants from US citizens when trying to intercept money transfers? Or would you separate them? Would all people wanting to send money need to be examined?

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The basic system requirement would be a national ID card with information containing place of birth, gender, type of US citizenship (if any) along with other pertinent demographic data. Then a software algorithm containing the answers to your questions above and a decision tree to deal with the consequences of the algorithm and its permutations - (OK to send the money, not OK but no detainment, not OK with detainment, etc...).

Kind of like Berlin in 1933 (Gleichschaltung).

https://uahsibhistory.wikispaces.com/Gleichschaltung+in+Nazi+Germany

HankD

20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do? I think I only mentioned it in this thread once.

You're talking about wiring money. No one can wire money without the service of a financial institution, and financial institutions are regulated all the time and have to report all kinds of transactions, and they charge big bucks for international transfers (and there's always a record). Congress makes a law, and then the financial institutions design systems to comply.

If you need an example a cursory Google search yielded the Financial Recordkeeping and Reporting of Currency and Foreign Transactions Act of 1970, (The Bank Secrecy Act) It requires institutions to maintain appropriate records and file certain reports involving currency transactions and a financial institution’s customer relationships.

This is already being done. And there are many more regulations like this.

I don't have to come up with a detailed plan. I don't have to design the system. Congress just has to make a law. It is well within the auspices of the Constitution for Congress to impose any regulation on any money leaving the country.

The financial institutions comply or the feds come in and it's over.

This point is now moot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.