1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Don't laugh

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by luvnlife33, May 11, 2004.

1. luvnlife33

luvnlife33 New Member

Can someone please briefly explain the difference in the denominations? And possibly why? :confused:

2. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Too many to list, however the reason there are denominations is because no one group agrees on the scriptures with another.

Throughout the years groups have fallen away from one another because of differing beliefs and interpretations. Gradually those interpretations become more polarized and the groups are unrecognizable to each other.

It's hard to believe that all of the Christian churches in the world began as being one in the same.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Yeah, and they were all independent Baptist in doctrine ;) .

4. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

The problem is that there are so many answers, I think the best thing to do is to have a study on church history.

King Henry allowed the Anglican (episcopal) church to start in England and the Catholic control of the church was broken. Yet the new church was a copy of the old just with differnent leadership.

Different reformers came along, Luther, Wesley, Booth and reformed the church back to percieved biblical foundations. Luther made a speech called "I Dissent" which is quite interesting.

Yet in the modern time churches split all the time, usually over leadership issues or differences in doctrine. Which sometimes are only slight things. Yet lead to a split.

5. luvnlife33

luvnlife33 New Member

What are the difference in the baptist? I saw a bunch of different abreviations... what do they all mean? I thought all baptist believed the same...they don't?

6. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Most share the same core doctrines. Yet there are differences for example in the way that they take communion. Others might have a different focus on parts of the Bible. For example do a search on the "Six Principle Baptists" and you will find a group that are almost exactly the same as the SBC - Southern Baptist Convention, yet have a particular focus on a verse in Hebrews, and focus on the laying on of hands for prayer. Yet ultimatley no one in either group would question the others salvation over these, and would likely consider the others fellow christian brothers and sisters.

7. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. WallDoctor

WallDoctor New Member

By Doctrine I'm Reformed Baptist which puts me in the Baptist Circle but on the outer edge. We're 5 point Calvinists, often hold to Covenant Theology and Amillenialism but other than those BIG differences, we are baptist in every other way. [​IMG]

And in case anyone questions if Reformed Baptist is possible---we hold solidly in Doctrine to the 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith which is one of the oldest Baptist Confessions that Baptists held to and in the 1700's was the main Confession held by Baptists (also known as the Phildephia Baptist Confession of Faith in the US for some very minor revisions)

WallDoctor