1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Door to Door witnessing

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Havensdad, Aug 31, 2008.

?
  1. All the time! Everyone in town thinks I'm a weirdo!

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. I have before, but not regularly.

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Tried it once.

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. I am chicken, butI think it's important.

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. I think this is a bad evangelism method.

12 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. You mean we are actually supposed to TELL people about Jesus?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I am currently in Pine Bluff Arkansas, witnessing door to door, for Immanuel Baptist Church. I was curious how many people do this on a regular basis for there home church> so that is the poll question>

Have you are do you witness door to door? I am NOT talking about inviting people to church, but taking people through the law, plan of salvation, etc. etc.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I voted not regular - only due to time. I desire to get out more, Lord willing, please pray for Faith Baptist

3. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

O.K.,

For the ones who believe this is a bad evangelism method...

#1 have you ever tried it?

#2 What alternate method would you suggest?

4. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

1. Yes.
    2. Acts of mercy. i.e. community involvement with the aim of preaching the Gospel. Coffee house convos (go with 1 or 2 other Christians and open your Bibles and start talking about Jesus, issues, et. It can draw others into the conversation). Post card mailings, internet, flyers, et.

5. Jesus Freak

Jesus Freak New Member

I voted for a bad evangelism method...only because everyone that I talk to about it says that they don't like it when people come to their door witnessing, selling things, collecting for things etc. I personally don't like it either. No, I have never tried it. I leave tracks all over the place and try to engage people in conversation about Jesus. I still need alot of work on my witnessing skills. I will say that door to door witnessing is better than not witnessing at all- it's just not how I choose to witness right now. God could lead me to try it tomorrow, who knows!!! Just tell people about Jesus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Here is the thing> I used to be strictly a "public place" evangelist. All of these things you said.

Going with my friend to Starbucks, NEVER opened up a conversation.

Post Card mailings are expensive, and go straight in the trash.

Internet does nothing but cause arguments. People cannot hear the concern in your voice, or see the seriousness of your eyes. Yes, I am reformed as well, but God still uses these things.

As someone who has been an active street evangelist for some time, I had to see the results of door to door myself, and I am impressed. It is, from my experience (and I have tried everything, exstensively) the BEST way of reaching large sums of people.

Might I ask, what is it about door to door that you did not like?

7. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Brother, people do not like it when you speak about Jesus, REGARDLESS of how you do it> you might as well do it the way that reaches the most people.

I applaud your efforts, though> not everyone is cut out for door to door. I am glad your doing something.

8. queenbee

queenbee Member

I'd have to agree w RB on this one. I think the more we make our profession of faith a simple, heartfelt and genuine 1:1 conversation, the more easier it is to give and the easier to receive.

I remember years ago walking the neighborhood w a dear friend, witnessing w the 4 Spiritual Laws, etc. door-to-door. At one home, we were invited in. While my friend had some interest & success with the wife, the husband sat there; folded his hands across his chest (very confrontational) and basically shut me out and stared me down. I could have been talking Jabberwocky for all he cared!

I can laugh about it now - (good training and all that!), but it did teach me a valuable lesson. People don't like to be put on the spot & preached at with pre-programmed speeches. They want to know that someone has a genuine interest and like for them - just as our Lord did when He conversed with others. I'm no different in this - i.e., Jehovah's Witnesses at the door for example. It's far more genuine and realistic to sit down and weave your faith into your conversations and even dare I say more respectful of the other person? When faith is woven into the conversation in a natural, genuine way, the other person is usually far more receptive and interested rather than being left with the feeling that someone is pummeling them over the head with rehearsed words.

9. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Jesus and all of the apostles, as recorded in the NT, were extremely confrontational. I agree whole heartedly with the "pre programmed" speech> I do not do this. I knock on the door, and have a conversation about Christ with them.

However, sitting around waiting for someone to have a conversation with you, is certainly not a good evangelism method. Jesus and the apostles were out, everyday, proclaiming the Gospel in the public. They did not mince words, and did not pull punches. That is exactly what we should be doing, in whatever form.

10. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I usually go house to house with tracts three times a week. I don't knock on every door, but often get chances to witness to people outside in the garden or whatever. Once every year or two someone comes to church or even gets saved through this effort.

This may not sound to you to be too effective in Japan--but then nothing is very effective in Japan, which is a gospel-resistant country with less than one per cent being Christians. Note that this is a lower percentage than such Islamic countries as Iraq and Iran. But we still keep at it because it is the right thing to do.

The Great Commission tells us to get the Gospel to "very creature" and "all nations." How are we to do that without some systematic method such as door to door evangelism? Until a method comes along that obeys those commands in a better, more systematic way, I'll keep going house to house. :type:

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen! Well said! :thumbs:

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm glad you are doing something to reach souls for Christ! Most Christians do nothing. Praise the Lord for your efforts! :thumbs:

In door to door work, exactly because of what people have told you, what is needed is Christian friendliness and compassion, genuine caring. They must see that you really care, don't want anything out of them, and are honest about the Gospel. They don't want to hear a quick run through of a salvation plan (and I'm for such plans, since the Gospel itself is a plan) and a quick prayer with no real concern for their souls. I believe in dealing in detail with souls if there is time and opportunity, not just a quick run through.

13. Allan

Allan Active Member

I 'love' door to door witnessing.

For those who say people don't like it that is true but only to an extent. Mostly they don't like it is because they are afraid of being confronted with something that might change their life or wreck it and they would rather not have to deal with either. I have been witnessing for over the last 17 years and tried most everything under the sun consistantly over a period of time to see the effects 'on lives'. I must say there are many methods but none so profitable as going directly up to a person or home and just sharing. Door to door is not actaully a method per-sey, but a venue in which to use certain methods of reaching out to the people. The same is said of street preaching, coffee house chats, ect..

The biggest difference I have found in door to door is that 'you' must decide to be the one who reaches out purposefully to the lost instead of hoping they come to you.

One of the things that changes the minds and hearts of those people/churches going out into the highways and by-ways is remembering that we are not out there to save people, but to present to the people the gospel that saves. If God so choose to move on them and save them - well.. let me just say it becomes a shout'in glory time for me! :thumbs:

#13 Allan, Sep 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2008
  14. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I totally agree with the last couple who posted -

I think much of the problem comes in when we start to try to figure out in our own minds what "works". We begin to look at numbers then, trying to sort through methods that we think the lost world might respond better to... Don't get me wrong, I know we ought to present the gospel in a caring, compassionate, and sincere manner - but what is God's measure for a method? I believe John of Japan hit it when he mentioned truly fulfilling the great Commission and going to *Every* creature.

Door-to-door is the only means of being sure that you reach every household in your community. Street preaching is good - but it only reaches those few who walk by. Unless you're in China at an English language learning center, you probably aren't going to get very many people walking up to you and begging you to talk to them about Christ. I think the cold mailings might have worked some years ago when there was less junk mail, but nowadays I agree that for the most part it gets chucked in the trash without even being opened.

My husband and I have been trying to raise the amount of time we go door-knocking. Our church here is more focused right now on passing out tracts on the street - although the pastor is trying to refocus them on door-to-door...it's hard for many people to change or add another method. We really aren't saying NOT to pass out tracts on the corner, but there's a whole community around us that doesn't walk down that street. And that's really the crux - how else do you reach out to every household?

15. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Wow! All great posts! Very encouraging, thank y'all.

John> I bet talking to people door to door in Japan can be an experience.From my brief one night lay over there (on the way to Korea), people seemed much more stand-offish than the people I am used to. Praise God for your efforts!

Allen> I too, have grown to love door to door. I think most would, if they tried it with open minds. This past week, I visited more than 100 homes, with every reaction from a door slammed in my face, to receiving a big plate of homemade brownies from a Christian lady who said she appreciated what I was doing. I met a lot of wonderful people, and made some friends, too.

Bapmom> Totally agree! I was big on tracting public places/street preaching (and still am), but the orderly way in which door to door works, making sure every home in an area has heard the Gospel, is more extensive. Of course, with public proclamation, you get town visitors too, which is important. BOTH are great ways of sharing the Gospel.

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Japanese can certainly be stand-offish, especially down in Tokyo and Yokohama. Up here on Hokkaido they are more open. But what we say about our evangelism is, they are apathetic. Most Japanese love Americans, American food (MacDonald's, KFC, Mr. Donut, Pizza Hut), studying English, etc. But most just don't care about Heaven and Hell. I remember a couple of months ago trying to witness to an old lady about Heaven, and her answer was, "I ain't dead yet!" :BangHead:

But two verses that have always been an encouragement to us, and should be to anyone else out there who might be getting discouraged about their evangelism are:

Gal 6:9--And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

1 Cor. 15:58--Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know this is to Allen, but Havensdad, you reminded me of going door-to-door once many years ago on a very hot day in Franklin, TN. I came to the house of a lady happy to confess that she already had faith in Christ. Then she said, "Wait here," and when she came back she gave me a glass of the best water I have ever tasted! Now every time I read Matthew 10:42 I think of that lady and bless her! :saint:

18. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I have gone door to door in the past. But I think that culture plays into weather this is a good thing or not. Here , not only is it considered rude just to show up unannounced, the JW´s and Mormons have left a very bad taste in the mouth of most people, since they have been aggressive and rude. So door to door creates an unnecessary barrier in my opinion- at least in this area.

That being said, it is perfectly acceptable and normal to leave literature in the gate or pass it out in the street. We also seek to build relationships in the community in order to share the gospel.

19. queenbee

queenbee Member

Door-to-door is not the only route to witnessing (as some others here have pointed out) and it is not necessarily the only method for each Christian's comfort/expertise level. I for one, am not sitting back and waiting on others to come to me (though to be truthful, this has happened); rather, I use my daily conversation time with others as the tool to bring Jesus into our talks.

This is far different than the picture you have painted that I and others are sitting back twiddling thumbs, waiting to have a conversation. Just to clarify.

20. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Used to do that two years ago
    Wished that I can do it again.
    Maybe someday as it was worthwhile.