1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

door to door

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by untangled, Feb 2, 2005.

1. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I think much of the opposition to d-t-d is justified. I mean who WANTS someone at their door at 7-8 at night on a week day?
    This is why my home church does it on Sat. morn. about 11-12.
    We are much better received this way.
    We still don't see much fruit. But at least we are not interupting someone's dinner! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    In HIS service;
    Jim

2. Soulman

Soulman New Member

I posted this on another thread as well.

If someone wants to visit me then come because you genuinly care about me. Not just because you are going out on Tuesday night visitation with a goal of getting in 4 visits. That is performing a duty and people see right through it.

I think people should give a phone call as follow up to seasoned christians. It would be more appreciated than having someone barge in for a 15 minute visit uninvited at 7:30 PM. People are relaxing and getting kids ready for bed. Most folks I know don't have much company on work nights. It is irritating.

3. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Soulman. A phone call is great if all you are doing is follow-up, but it is just like phone-soliciting if you are making cold calls.
    So, an advance phone call is out of the question in that case.
    Just do like we do. Go d-t-d on Sat. morning. That is a whole lot less intrusive on most folks. Sure you'er going to get the occasional crank, but hey! so did Paul & company. Eh wot?

In HIS service;
    Jim

4. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Jim,
    We do d-t-d on Saturday from 10am till about 2pm. I think that is the best time to go as well. I was commenting on evening visitation programs. Like our church goes out on Tuesday evenings from 7-9. The people involved are just trying to serve God also.

I just believe it is not a great time for people to randomly show up at your door and a phone call might be more appropriate. I would never suggest cold calling during these hours.

When someone visits your church they are in a different catagory than your cold calls. These are people many of whom are already saved and looking for a church,new converts, or unsaved visitors. All of which should be followed up on in some way.

Whatever works for you and your church. I just don't see alot of fruit comming fron Tuesday night visitation and know I would rather be called or written to.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is Saturday morning in the West. I am in my robe and slippers, having enjoyed a wonderful breakfast and now hitting the 'puter for an hour. Then it will be off to the list of Saturday chores, shopping, office, and later, getting everything ready for Sunday.

If someone knocks on my door right now and I looked out and saw a couple of folks I did not know, I would assume "Jehovah Witness" or beggars for some charity or such. I would not even answer the door.

If it was someone coming from a church I'd visited, etc, I would expect the courtesy of a phone call. Rude, uninvited folks don't deserve answering the door.

[​IMG] (Am I an old codger, or what?)

6. Gib

Gib Active Member

Get dressed Dr. Bob, I'm coming over.

7. Karen

Karen Active Member

Maybe not an old codger, but with your spiritual gifts, you could be passing by some opportunities.
    Two Jehovah's Witnesses knocked on my door at 10 this morning. We had a polite, short talk in which I presented the Gospel to them.
    No, not everyone should answer the door if he or she can't handle it, but it can be a fine witnessing opportunity.

Karen

8. Karen

Karen Active Member

One's attitude about door-to-door is probably influenced by local culture.
    I still get my hometown newspaper even though I have not lived there for many years.
    Lots of people drop in on each other for visits all the time, for all kinds of reasons, and it is duly reported upon in the newspaper.
    I wish people WOULD feel free to drop in on me here, but the culture is just not like that.

Around here, you would be hard-pressed to find people to visit on Saturday. Soccer rules!

Karen

9. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I think basically it depends on where you live. I think in todays world the best evangelism strategy is intentional lifestyle evangelism where you motivate your people to share Christ with those around them on a daily basis.

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always tell Mormon "elders" (kids that are 19) and JW women (the only ones who ever go out) to wait a few minutes while I finish sacrificing a goat in the back yard.

For some reason, they are never there when I get back to the door . .

11. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always tell Mormon "elders" (kids that are 19) and JW women (the only ones who ever go out) to wait a few minutes while I finish sacrificing a goat in the back yard.

For some reason, they are never there when I get back to the door . . [/QB][/QUOTE]

hehe [​IMG]

12. Gib

Gib Active Member

Uh, Dr. Bob, I just remembered something I gotta do and won't able to make it.

13. Karen

Karen Active Member

I think your FIRST sentence sums up a lot of it.
    I remember a thread a year or two ago. A number of BB members that live in urban areas stated that they NEVER see anyone they know during the week other than intentionally at work or at church. It is not that they intend it that way.
    It is that life is structured that way with people driving in their individual cars to their individual work cubicles and then home.
    They don't have relationships with the anonymous people they see in the grocery, at the bank,the cleaners, or the gym.
    Unlike the small town I am from, in which the town's business is daily discussed at the local restaurant "Round Table". My grandmother knew the life stories of every bank teller and grocery clerk and considered each such trip a major social occasion.
    I am friendly with most of the neighbors on my street, and we speak, but I struggle to have more than minimal contact with them. My grandparents knew every person on every farm in a five to ten mile radius.

In general, many people are in casual contact with far more numbers of people but know them less intimately than in years past. This poses real challenges for lifestyle evangelism.

Karen

14. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I read Dr. B's post here and this popped into mind. So...here ya go Bro! Just for you!

HebĀ 13:2
    Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

LOL :D

I NEVER turn someone away from my door. JW, Mormon, Moonie, whoever it may be. The blood of Jesus was spilt for them also.

But that's just me.
    Do what you think is best bro!

In HIS service;
    Jim