1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Doorknocking

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Copper, May 22, 2005.

1. Copper

Copper Guest

Wow - that's amazing. I would love to be a part of a group like that! Our church knocks doors but not everyone does. If I could, I'd do it 24/7. I LOVE it!

I'll have to see if they have a website. Its nice to hear about a HOT church!

Thanks for the info.

Blessings,
    Copper

2. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Behold, yee haue sinned against the Lord: and bee sure your sinne will finde you out. (KJV)

[​IMG]

3. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Posted by Craigbythesea: Behold, yee haue sinned against the Lord: and bee sure your sinne will finde you out. (KJV)

Come on Craig! You know there is no sin in attempting to give the gospel.

I door knock and head up our soul winning effort in our church. I hate when people come to my house uninvited as well. Thats where the prayer before entering comes in. Just move out of the way and let the Holy Spirit work. I have seen hundreds saved as a result of church wide door knocking. Made a few angry also. Most are at least nice. It is a well tried and true method of winning folks to Christ. Although there are many new ways with technology and all, we shouldnt abandon what has worked for thousands of years.

Crai, just let em knock a couple of times. Then they will shake the dust off their heels and leave you alone.

4. Craigbythesea

I do not subscribe to the false doctrine that the end justifies the means when the means includes sins against humanity.

Then PLEASE obey the words of our Savior,

Luke 6:31. "Treat others the same way you want them to treat you." (NASB, 1995)

When the “Holy Spirit” leads you to knock on the door at 3244 Apple Tree Lane and no one is home but their dog chews off your leg, you are probably listening to the wrong “Holy Spirit.”

Great idea! My next door neighbor comes to my door for a ride to the emergency room because he is bleeding to death and I let him die on my door step because I am afraid that some Mormon or JW, or a zombie in a trance from that church 15 miles away, is knocking on my door!

Behold, yee haue sinned against the Lord: and bee sure your sinne will finde you out.

[​IMG]

5. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Craig, Please enlighten me as to how knocking on someones door to give them the gospel is unscriptural?

Luke 14:23
    And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.

Matthew 10:14
    And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.

Revelation 3:20
    Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

Jesus was a door knocker even if symbolically. :D

6. Craigbythesea

And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.

My understanding of this verse is that the sinner is outdoors and he is compelled by the householder to come inside. The last time I drug a sinner into my house to witness to him, he didn’t knock on the door as he came through the doorway.

Matthew 10:14
    And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I don’t read in this verse about anybody knocking on any door.

Luke 6:31. "Treat others the same way you want them to treat you." (NASB, 1995)

I don’t want any strangers knocking on my door, unless they need my help, so I don’t go around knocking on the doors of strangers. Everyday I come into contact with more people with whom I could share the gospel than I have time to stop and talk to. Therefore, for me to go knocking on a stranger’s door and take the chance of offending that stranger is unconscionable.

Another point:

I do not want to cause anyone to confuse the Good News of Jesus Christ with the bad news of the J.W.’s or the Mormons, or with the rudeness of the zombies in a trance from that church 15 miles away.

[​IMG]

7. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Posted by Craigbythesea: Matthew 10:14
    And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I don’t read in this verse about anybody knocking on any door.

How do you think they got into the house in the first place Craig?

Posted by Craigbythesea: My understanding of this verse is that the sinner is outdoors and he is compelled by the householder to come inside. The last time I drug a sinner into my house to witness to him, he didn’t knock on the door as he came through the doorway.

That is a weak argument Craig. The verse plainly tells us to go out and get them.

Posted by Craigbythesea: I don’t want any strangers knocking on my door, unless they need my help, so I don’t go around knocking on the doors of strangers.

Sounds more like your preference to me Craig. Nothing biblical so far.

Posted by Craigbythesea: Therefore, for me to go knocking on a stranger’s door and take the chance of offending that stranger is unconscionable.

I will chance offending someone rather than pass them by. I would think them to be more offended if they went to hell because I didn't tell them.

Posted by Craigbythesea:I do not want to cause anyone to confuse the Good News of Jesus Christ with the bad news of the J.W.’s or the Mormons, or with the rudeness of the zombies in a trance from that church 15 miles away.

You don't want to cause confusion with the cults? C'mon! They do a great job at what we are supposed to be doing! If churches would do half the job they do, they would have no credibility.

These zombies from 15 miles away are simply doing what you prefer not to do. You have not provided one shred of scripture to back up what is clearly just your preference. If you don't want to knock doors, that is your choice. To call christians zombies out on the streets serving God is not very nice. To not be confused with the cults is just an excuse to sit home.

People are offended when their door is knocked on by a christian because:Mark 13:13
    And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Be careful when they are not offended: Luke 6:26
    Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets.

Shouldn't slam the bretheren for serving God in their way. There is NOTHING wrong with what they are doing.

8. Craigbythesea

The people at the church that I referenced behave like zombies in a trace. Although it is a very large organization that calls itself an independent, fundamentalist Baptist church it is more of a pseudo-Christian cult. I have personally interviewed many of the members, both at the church and in their homes, as I have the members of many different pseudo-Christian cults, and they are so brainwashed that they all give the same answers to my questions—using the same wording. They are VERY scary people. Their pastor very strongly suggests to them that if they leave the church to attend another church in the city, even if it is another IFB church, they were not saved in the first place. The parents of children are very much discouraged from sending their children to public schools, Christian schools, or to home teach them, but to send them to the indoctrination program that the church runs and calls a school, K-12. They are taught that Bible colleges and all secular colleges, except for one Bible college in Indiana, are institutions of the devil, and they operate another indoctrination program that they call a Bible institute, none of the teachers of which have ever graduated from a Bible college, let alone a seminary. The learning of Biblical languages is strongly discouraged and, of course, they are told that God wrote only one Bible and that all others are part of a satanic plot. When asked how many people in their large congregation were first contacted by door knocking, they reply that none of them have, but that it is the will of God for them to do continue doing it. I have tried to reach some of these people for Christ, and some of them really listen and show a genuine interest, but getting them out of their cult is just as difficult as it is to get the J.W.’s and the Mormons out of their cults.

[​IMG]

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The cults claim the same verses you do. I lived not too far from Craig. One night a young man was knocking on doors and he did not get very far. The police were called and he was told to leave. Some cities have ordinances against solicitation. In some cities if you knock on somebody's door you will scare them because an unexpected visitor may be seen as someone who may not be welcome and want to rob them. If every church member were discipling people they would have their hands so full and those people would be praying for their friends and neighbors and sharing their faith with them.

FYI, the Mormons are slowing declining. The JW"s are very much disliked. In rural areas you can get by with things that you would not be able to do in large cities. My experience from the south is that most of the traditional things they do in the south and other small areas do not even work in other areas. In a lot of cities you cannot get into a gated community and especially a large condo or apartment complex. The police will come and get you before you go very far. Also many of them have security and a gate to get past.

When I was in Europe the building I lived in required a key to get in the main door and a key to get into your living area. Anyone who did not belong would have been asked to leave.

So for the door knocking advocates I am wondering what they would suggest for their door knocking campaign in a country such as some of the Middle East countries where a bullet might meet your head if you are a believer.

Does the scripture apply to door knocking there too? Luke 14:23 "And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled."

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sounds like the same group who are in Los Osos, CA.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Are they related to the group cited at http://rickross.com/groups/the_assembly.html

12. Craigbythesea

13. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Posted by gb93433: The cults claim the same verses you do.

Only on the surface. It doesn't take much to uncover their hidden agenda.

Posted by Craigbythesea: The people at the church that I referenced behave like zombies in a trace. Although it is a very large organization that calls itself an independent, fundamentalist Baptist church it is more of a pseudo-Christian cult.

Well that explains alot! It seemed like you were slamming christians for knocking on peoples doors for a minute. We all have the cult types to contend with. The Holy Spirit is stronger and they should not deter us.

Posted by gb93433: One night a young man was knocking on doors and he did not get very far. The police were called and he was told to leave. Some cities have ordinances against solicitation.

Christians need to use common sense. We should go out in small groups or at least two by two just like in the bible.

I live in NH. We have relatively low crime here. However, when we come upon a complex marked no soliciting, that needs to be respected. Things should be done decently and in order. Door knocking should always be done during daylight keeping in mind the day in which we live.

Posted by gb93433: So for the door knocking advocates I am wondering what they would suggest for their door knocking campaign in a country such as some of the Middle East countries where a bullet might meet your head if you are a believer.

This is a free country and we have the right to knock on anyones door not posted otherwise. I cannot speak for middle eastern christians that have to hide and scrape by just for their very survival. I will say that they must be doing something to get the gospel out or there would be no churches over there. I thank God we have the freedom to get the gospel into every persons hand in this country. The people in this country also have the freedom to reject it.

14. Victory in Jesus

Victory in Jesus New Member

When I was 5 years old, a couple of Independant Fundamental Baptists were knocking on doors in our neighborhood. They knocked on our door and my parents let my sister and I go. The following week, we wanted that special prize for bringing a visitor, so we asked our mother if we could bring our brothers on the bus the next Sunday. My parents decided to go with us since they didn't want us taking our brothers-ages 2 and 1- alone.

We grew up in that church, my family accepted Christ as our Savior. I won many of my public school (yes, I said "public school") friends to the Lord (one went home and won her sister to the Lord),I had my own bus route at 15-18 when I went to college and accepted Christ as my Savior. Many kids accepted Christ from that bus route. I went on to Bible College and married a great man...a wonderful father. My children are saved. my sister is a wife of a pastor, and they have seven children, all which are saved.

All this because two men were not afraid of offending us by knocking on our door.

I later found out by one of the men that they had discussed stopping their visitation because it was getting late. But, the other encouraged him to finish the street. Our house was the next house they approached. No one has ever knocked on our door since that morning when I was five years old. I guess everyone else was trying to be nice by leaving us alone to watch Big Bird. I'm afraid to question what would have happened if those men had never visited.

A door isn't just a door. It is a seed that is planted. Just because we don't see the results we expect or hope to see, it doesn't mean that we were just a nuisance. I for one, am not going to let a few opinions prevent me from trying to witness. Do unto others? This is EXACTLY how I want to be treated...and Praise God I was treated that way when I was five years old.

Anyone got a tissue? [​IMG]

15. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

Thanks for the testimony nobodyspecial. No doubt there are countless thousands of such testimonies like yours.

Just for your information everyone...The statements that craigbythesea is making are completely false and unfounded.

The church he refers to is an outstanding church following the leading of the Holy Spirit and has no doubt seen thousands of people trust Christ as their Saviour in the past 25 years. Their Spanish ministry alone has Grown from 40-50 to over 700 in the last 6 years...all by good old fashioned hard work...prayer and fasting...street evangelism...doorknocking! I know this church and its Pastor very well...the accustation that have been brought against it on this thread are ridiculous.

If you are going to make accusation about something, it would be nice to have some scripture to back it up.

Max

16. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Amen Nobodyspecial, Great testamony. I became baptist after two men in suits approached me one afternoon as well. Praise God for people willing to hit the streets. All the objections to door knocking are from people to lazy to go!

Pastor MHG, Thanks for clearing up the issue of the zombies! False accusations make for a very poor testamony.

17. Craigbythesea

This is very amusing :D ! You write that my description of this church is “completely false” and yet you believe that you recognize it from my description! [​IMG]

Where is this church of yours? I need to pay it a visit it. I have never visited “an outstanding church following the leading of the Holy Spirit” that is so easily confused with the pseudo-Christian cult that I described in detail where the members walk around like zombies in a trance!

:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

18. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Hi Craig,
    If this church you speak of is a cult like church then why not name it? Nothing wrong with letting all of us check it out as well eh?

19. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

craigbythesea,

I recognize this

20. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

Pardon me for that last post...a slip of the finger!

craigbythesea,

I recognize this church based on your location and previous post of other topics where you have made it clear where you are.

Your post with respect to this church are boardering on slander. I am not a member of this church, but I know it very well.

It is a shame that you have never visited "an outstanding church following the leading of the Holy Spirit" you should get out more!

Until then you should post the scriptures that have been violated by this church to prove it is cultic and unscriptural or you should refrain from the slander.

Max