1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dover School Board Member Prayer report

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Paul of Eugene, Nov 11, 2005.

1. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

One thing to recognize is that science and the theory of evolution do not and can not address what happened in the universe before anything existed at all. Essentially, I'd say that's the situation described in:

Gen 1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness [was] upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

The Big Bang theory failed in this area as well as there was a discontinuity in its equations right after the bang.

Therefore, any attempt to understand how nothing became something to my knowledge requires a "leap of faith." I choose to make that leap based on Christianity.

I used to be a proponent of theistic evolution but have changed my thinking. Evolution, given that matter "somehow arrived" in an empty vacuum, simply does not explain how the jump from animal to man took place given that man plays a special part in the world and has an eternal soul.

I don't feel a need for my faith to match current science because science is forever changing. Anyone who strongly held to Newtonian physics would have been shocked by the ideas of Einstein and Max Planck many of which have been shown to be true under certain conditions.

On the other hand, I believe that different parts of the Bible need to be interpreted differently. (Can anyone argue that Psalms should be read in the same way as Revelation or John for that matter?)

I don't currently believe in a young earth. Why would God trick us into believing an old earth by changing physical constants over time of which we have no evidence?

My faith doesn't rest on such minor issues as the age of the earth. It does rest on the fact that God is in control and that He sent his only Son to save me from my sins.

2. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I dont believe in a young earth either.

6,000 years is an extremely long time.

3. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Everything is relative. Relative to most theories about the age of the universe, 6,000 years is a brief moment.