1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Download 3 pages of AV1611

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Phillip, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

If you will go to the address below you can get a pdf file that has three pages scanned from an early printing of the AV1611 (version). The scans are from a real Bible not a replica printed later. It has the first page of Genesis, 1Esdras and Mathew. Nowhere in the entire Bible does it indicate that it considers the apocrypha as any less part of the canon as the OT or NT.

http://www.baptist-church.org/example.pdf

Since I posted it, only about two people have downloaded it.

Don't worry, the Copyright has expired and YES there was an order from the King NOT to print it which was ignored by the American colonies. So, much for arguments about copyrights on Modern translations.

2. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is slightly different than the AV1611 that Nelson reprinted - as they changed that very difficult-to-read font to an easier one.

And noticed in Genesis 1 page (and the Anglican summary before the Word of God started) that the last few words (also the appointment of food) have already a revised spelling in the AV1611 I have.

Mine says "also" while your photo copy says "alfo" - using the f as an s which was perfectly fine English then.

I am assuming, then, that my 1611 is already changing from the "perfect" 1611 that was initially printed. Interesting evolution and revisions even in the first year!

Thanks.

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I got them, Phillip. Thanks.

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is mistaken for an "f" today is really a "long s," which was used to designate the "s" sound. In its purest form the symbol has no cross stroke as the "f" does, although some examples have a "nub" that make them resemble the "f." It can be found in examples as late as the U.S. Constitution. It generally was used at the beginning or in the middle of a word, but not as the final letter and never when the final "s" represented the "z" sound.

It is akin to the "thorn," an old English letter that represented the "th" sound and looked much like a "y," as in "ye olde Baptist Board." It was always pronounced "th."