Dr. Al Mohler on Seminary Education

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges / Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician
    Expand Collapse

Brethren:

Please read the following quote. I also hyperlinked to it. We are reading the Trellis and the Vine about training young ministers in the local church. I think you will find Dr. Mohler's quote and entire address extremely informative as well as interesting and provocative.

http://andynaselli.com/theology/al-mohler-the-cost-of-conviction

"The Cost of Conviction"

"There is a sense in which I believe the perfect model of theological education is one man called of God, pouring himself into another man called of God, on the basis on the authority of the Word of God. I think there is no model greater, or better, or more powerful than that."

"One of my ambitions is to put my institution out of business in 20 to 30 years, if the Lord allows. I don't really mean that there won't be any use for the buildings or the books or the faculty. But one of my main ambitions is to get us out of the business of training ministers, and get us back in the business of training churches to train ministers - that's where it needs to take place."

Let me know what you think. It seems this has been discussed here before but not by someone of Dr. Mohler's stature.

Hoping to shed more light than heat. :smilewinkgrin:

"That is all!"

2. puros_bran

puros_bran
    Expand Collapse

One of the churches in our association recently hired a young man who sat under the tutelage of a Pastor for 7 years in the capacity discussed. I'm not opposed to Seminary training in any way, but there are other viable ways to enter the ministry.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus
    Expand Collapse
    Supporter

One of the great blessings I received in my ministry was during and after my time in seminary I was able to serve on staff in a residency style program. It has made all the difference in the world.

About 65% of the guys I sat next to in my classes, within 5 years, were out of ministry...a few were out of the church period. We've got a HUGE problem with attrition with young ministers.

I believe the key reason is that too many good young men walk out of seminary and right into hard ministry situations. They are fired, used up, or burned out because of abusive situations. This isn't to say the churches are bad, just needy. We need to allow young men to ease into ministry and have "fire proof" situations so they can learn how to minister.

This is a big deal to me and I'm thankful Dr. Mohler has said this.