1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dr. Chuck Missler, Who Is He?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Jul 5, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I had lunch with a Calvary Chapel pastor last week. During our time together, I asked him about Dr. Missler. To my surprise, he said Missler is not part of Calvary Chapel, but Calvary Chapel provides a platform for him from time to time.

2. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

In this thread was discussed "Sons of God" being angels, in Genesis Chapter 6, 1-4, it is a reference to those angels who have fallen. During my bible study this morning this point was brought up and discussed again, how the "sons of God" is a reference to fallen angels.

Previously mentioned in this thread, where's the proof of this idea, but yet to be commented upon by myself or others, there is reference to, in scripture, OT, Job to be exact, of the "sons of God" being angels.

Also, commented on in 1Peter, 2Peter, and Jude. Also, Jesus, after his death on the cross went in spirit and preached to those in "prison" or "hell", those spirits are the same spirits from Chapter 6 of Genesis, sons of God who were sent to "hell" and who will later be realeased to roam again in Chapter 9 of Revelation.

3. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Check your info

I think that you are missing some basic information on the idea of angels having intercourse with humans and producing offspring. This is NOT a wayout position. It is a serious theological position taken from Genesis 6:1-4 and Jude 1:6. Commentators and theologians are split almost evenly on the issue. We find this taught from the Jewish Rabbis through the Early Church up to and including present Bible-believing Christianity.

C.I. Schofield is primarily responsible for popularizing the opposing view although some of his own editors believed that angels cohabited with mankind. I have studied this issue with some seriousness and find that if you take the texts literally without any preconceived bias, one is pressed to admit the inference. Darby, I think, changed his view on this.

Furthermore, I find Schofield's explanation of two races to be even more speculative than the angel cohabitation view. There is no Scriptural warrant that I can find. It is an a priori assumption on Schofield's part. If my off-the-cuff memory serves me well, the commentators Ironside, Mayor, Driver and others favored the view of angels cohabiting with humans. I don't recall what position Keil & Delitzsch took. If you're interested, forget about Missler and research a number of good commentaries.

On the other hand, Missler can sound a little spooky (BTW, I've never seen where Missler included ghosts in his theory) when he starts talking about UFO's and relating this theological question to controversial ideas and UFO sightings. Although he never states outright that UFO's are fallen angels or demons, he leaves a lot to the audience's speculation and fancy. I think he is using sensationalism and mystery to increase his own standing with his audiences. He does have a good basic knowledge of Scripture and doctrine but he uses it for sensational appeal. Also, he offers the disclaimer that you are to form your own opinion.

4. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Misunderstanding?

I think people have understood Chuck to indicate that demons are these fallen angels (i.e. those who cohabited with women) in spite of Jude 1:6 which is explicit (if these are the same angels) that these angels who sinned are chained in the abyss.

BTW, the idea of messing up human genes is inferential and speculative--the Bible does not state this.

5. Allan

Allan Active Member

You are correct in the Dr. Missler is not a part of Calvery Chapel but is in association with many of their ministries. (I think they support each other)

There was a Calvery Chapel program I used to listen on the radio to back in Bentonville Ar. called "To Every Man an Answer". They had at least two pastors on the show at all times and sometimes as many as 3 or four (though four was rare). The prgram is braodcast world wide by their radio stations. What I liked abou the show was that any one could call in, mail in, or e-mail in, most any question (of course they were somewhat screened) and they answer as best they could with regard to scripture and context. They have Guest speakers on there to - which is where I first heard Dr. Missler. He is actually a fairly frequent guest on the show when time allows him. I have yet to hear anything I would equate as 'spooky' or unscriptural in any of those hour long programs. :)

#25 Allan, Sep 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2007
  6. Allan

Allan Active Member

double post. :) :)

#26 Allan, Sep 12, 2007
  7. Allan

Allan Active Member

Triple Post ! :) :) :)

#27 Allan, Sep 12, 2007
  8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ugh , spooky ! Missler is as Paid portrayed him .