1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dr. Doodledigger PHT.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by 2serve, Mar 18, 2008.

1. 2serve

2serve New Member

Man am I ever learning this Baptist Board thing. I need to educate my self in English, Computer, Bible, Probably Theology, and Typing just for beginers.LOL.

Why do we insist on Dr. doodlediggers oppinion. It's amazing to me that we (in christian circles ) are more concerned about the letters behind a mans name than we are about the call and annointing that God has placed on his life. Does not Gods word say that he is " no respecter of persons "? In the book of Acts does it not say that the Religious leadership of the day took note of the Apostles because they were unlearned, but they had been with Jesus.

Make no mistake if God has called a man and he has no desire to educate himself in the things of God there is a problem there somewhere. But what ever happened to reading Gods word, comparing Scripture with Scripture as a base for all else that you learn.

I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with not really believing that the Bible is in fact Gods Inspire, Infallable word.

What think ye?

Ok then I'll be waiting on the stones:tonofbricks:

Side note: Did you see the thing on the discovery channel last night about
    " The real Jesus"

2. North Carolina Tentmaker

I watched some of it. It was actually much better than what I was expecting. The segments I watched all talked about how modern archeology is proving the Bible correct. Of course why didn't they just believe the bible before I could not know.

3. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

We should not be overly impressed with the letters behind someone's name or a title they may bear. But there are many men and women that happen to have letters behind their names who's opinion is respected because of the reputation they've earned as faithful, reliable, and knowledgable people. It sounds as if someone was trying to bully you with their credentials. They shouldn't do that.

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Not sure who Dr. doodledigger is, or what a PHT is, but I assume it is some kind of silly slam on people who take education and the life of the mind seriously. The reason we insist on his opinion is because he has studied the issues in more depth and seriouness. It's the same reason you insist on Dr. MedicalDoctor's opinion when your body hurts.

It is amazing to me that people make false dichotomies and pretend like they are real arguments. We need not be more concerned about one than the other. And we can certainly recognize and benefit from the knowledge of people smarter than we are regardless of their spiritual status.

Yes, but it has nothing to do with those who learn God's Word at an indepth level.

Yes, and Paul had one of the best educations available in that day.

Nothing happened to it. IT is alive and well in much of the academic world where people take the Word of God seriously enough to study it.

No, it doesn't.

I think your post is built on a false dichotomy coupled with poor understanding of the issues involved.

5. 2serve

2serve New Member

Please don't misunderstand, there are a great many DR.s that I read and have studied under that I hold in high esteem but they do in no way guide my "Religious Experience" but rather they enhance it.

Pastor Larry, I would have you know that this was niether an attack on you or anyone else but rather a question about the general condition of Christianity today. I meant no harm to you or your ego. I appologise for any that was done.

And Dr. Doodledigger is a fictitious name to represent the "Religious Scholars" that so many seem to hold in such high reguard.

Ok then, I'll be waiting on the stones:tonofbricks:

6. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Not sure what this means.

There was no harm done to me or my ego. I think you have misdiagnosed the general condition of Christianity. In general, Christianity doesn't seem to care much about true knowledge, no matter where it comes from.

The argument that we either like scholarship or like reading God's word and comparing Scripture to Scripture was a bad argument. The idea that those who are concerned about a man's level of expertise in an area do not care about about his calling and anointing from God (whatever that means) is a false idea. We can and should do both.

The problem with Christianity is not too much concern for right knowledge gained through those who have earned degrees from reputable institutions. The problem is too little knowledge, and apathy about the lack of knowledge. The problem is people who think true religious experience is somehow contradictory to true knowledge.

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Humorous post.

However, I have to partly agree with what Pastor Larry posted, as well.

Ther is certainly nothing wrong with education, per se, and study is certainly 'commanded' in Scriptures. Paul, Apollos, Ezra, Moses, Luke, and Solomon were among those used by God who were highly educated. By contrast, Amos, and Peter probably were not. Same Bible; same God; different educational levels.

The Holy Spirit gave the gift of teacher, among other gifts, for a reason. In a like vein, He also inspired Paul to list being able to teach, ergo some degree of 'learning', as one of the requirements for a bishop/elder, as well.

Think about it.

Signed,

EdSutton

Edmond T. Sutton. Jr.
    ; Christian, saved by grace; possessor of two spiritual gifts, namely teacher, and Spirit discernment; B.A.; N.D.

And I usually go by merely -

Ed-

8. 2serve

2serve New Member

:BangHead: Did either of you even read what I wrote??????

I AAMM NNNOOOTTTT OOOPPOOOOSSEEDDDD TTOOOOO EEEEDDUUUUCCAAAAATTIIIOOONNNNN

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

9. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    " Does not Gods word say that he is " no respecter of persons"?"

Yep, but He also seemed to give a whale of an emphasis on Paul as opposed to others in the New Testament because he was the guy with the knowledge He wanted spread around.

I find at times a lot of the emphasis on letters behind the names come from the ones using them (read that name/letter dropping) all the time not the guy that has earned them.

10. 2serve

2serve New Member

Oh and by the way I have Noticed how that many of you guys rip folks apart on this board and if you think for just one single minute that that kind Bulling spirit will run me off or shut me up then you can believe that you have never dealt with a GOD called Former Marine like this one. None the less, I will love you wether you like it or not.

AMEN!!!

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

As always, I read every word, up through post #5, which was the last one, at that time, before posting!

FTR, no I don't get the Discovery Channel on our "rabbit ears", and "christian" should be capitalized.

BTW, who's "Bulling" (sic) and/or yelling?

Not me!

I'm outta' here, at least for now.

Ed

#11 EdSutton, Mar 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2008
  12. 2serve

2serve New Member

[Yep, but He also seemed to give a whale of an emphasis on Paul as opposed to others in the New Testament because he was the guy with the knowledge He wanted spread around.

The knowledge that paul had when he met Jesus on the Damascas Rd. was a knowledge of the very "Religious System" that he had opposed.

Jesus Christ had to take Paul out in the wilderness for a very long time to REeducate him.

As opposed to Peter who was probably the least educated most hard headed one in the group who immediatly was left to Pastor the Church in Jerusalem.

I'm symply asking the Question why do we so wish to put the Education before the Annointing.

Larry,.
    I'm sorry.
    Pastor Larry, the words calling and annointing refer to when God sets a man aside for a special duty and then gives him supernatural unction. I hope that this was a help.:applause:

13. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Have at it but just be aware that posting in those extremely large letters can get you into trouble with the moderators. That's considered extremely rude in forums. It's like screaming in someone's ear. Personaly, I find it entertaining, but the moderators may ban you for it.

14. 2serve

2serve New Member

AAHHH! I did not know that.
    I didn't mean it to be a yell but rather a drawn out exclamation. I appologise thats my fault I suppose.

15. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

No problem. If you're new to posting in forums, it may take a while to learn all the little rules. I'm still learning them myself.

16. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Yes, to those of us who have been around forums for a while, it did look like you were ranting and yelling.

No big deal if it was a mistake.
    Most people around here will be forgiving.

Welcome to the board!

17. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The knowledge that paul had when he met Jesus on the Damascas Rd. was a knowledge of the very "Religious System" that he had opposed.

"Jesus Christ had to take Paul out in the wilderness for a very long time to REeducate him.

"As opposed to Peter who was probably the least educated most hard headed one in the group who immediatly was left to Pastor the Church in Jerusalem.

And your point is ... the above does not negate my point as far as my feeble eyes can see.
    ---
    "I'm symply asking the Question why do we so wish to put the Education before the Annointing."

Maybe some do, but "WE" don't have to and leave the rest to God.:thumbs:

18. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

I am not sure that your point is a correct point. I have not seen where all those little letters made some one better than someone else, except as it has been mentioned maybe in that persons mind.

19. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When churches make degrees a requirement for the Pastorate then that creates a biblical problem. But the letters in front of the name is not and cannot be an issue. It is what those letters represent. In most cases it represents a large period of time, many, many hours, much prayer and fasting in the labor over the Word of God. That time spent in the word most certainly should be respected. Reducing the issue to letters appears to be an attempt to belittle all that work.

20. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Yes, of course. That's what I responded to, cautioning you against making bad arguments, no matter how good your point might be.

Those are not really words that the Bible uses with reference to this topic, particularly anointing, or supernatural unction. I think it is better to stick with Bible words to describe these things as much as possible.