1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dr Jerry Johnson's Resignation

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by mjohnson7, Aug 31, 2008.

1. mjohnson7

mjohnson7 Member

I kept waiting for someone to comment on the situation at FBC Dallas and The Criswell College, but I've not seen anything. The Baptist Press article can be found here. Does anyone know what is going on? Does Jeffress really plan on relocating the church so it's more suburban (like Prestonwood) or is this all rumor?

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently rumor. Jeffress has proposed building a new worship center downtown:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/religion/stories/010708dnmetfirstbaptist.24cd30e.html

One of the accusations against Jeffress — which he denies — is that he's considering selling assets to fund the new center.

Is there a good reason that Criswell and the undergraduate program at Southwestern should not be merged?

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Perhaps it should be mentioned that it has not, historically, been the role of the Southern Baptist Convention to educate undergraduates from a national perspective (i.e. the 6 nationally funded seminaries) but the states' responsibility through their institutions.

I know the cat has been let out of the bag at this point, but if anything we should try to get it back in. The reason most SBC seminaries have picked up undergrad programs is to boost enrollment numbers and financial coffers. Here we have an independent undergrad institution beginning to be rolled into a major seminary...that might be a problem. Particularly since when the current president of that seminary was leading the independent undergraduate institution there were many questions about finances and academic policies. But I doubt these concerns will be seriously addressed. If our convention has proven anything in the past several years it is that the people actually don't matter...everything is done behind closed doors and in clandestine meetings.

I would strongly oppose the unification of the two...but my opinion isn't important at this point. :thumbs:

4. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Trade Line Agreement"

To all who have an ear:

Rhetorician has forgone his comments. He has repented because he has said some things that could damage his reputation and maybe harm some others inadvertently.

In this case, "discretion is the better part of valor!"

I am sorry that I edited the post so very much and well try to maintain a modicum of discipline in the future before I post "more than I know!"

"Stay by the stuff!"

#4 Rhetorician, Sep 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2008