1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Seeker Of Truth, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Seeker Of Truth

Seeker Of Truth New Member

MLK holiday is soon approching, he was very a influencial person in the US. I decided to do some research on him because i knew he was a Baptist minister.

What I discovered about MLK was shocking to me, many say that he was a communist or that he was affliated with 60 Communist Fronts.

He was born with the name Michael King on Jan. 15, 1929. In 1935 his preacher father decided to name himself after the great Protestant reformer Martin Luther. He announced the congregation about his name change and that his son will be known as Martin Luther King Jr. They never bothered to have this act legalized in court. So his real name is Michael King not Martin Luther.

King led a bizarre sex life which included acts of shocking perversion. It is widely known that King was a womanizing adulterer. He had a weakness for women and indulged in extramarital affairs. The Bible calls those "extramarital affairs" ADULTERY! "Reverend?" I think not.

As a young boy King followed religion not Jesus. In his autobiography King states that he joined the church because of his desire to keep up with his sister.

Martin Luther King may have had a religious experience, but he didn't find Jesus. Going to church to keep up with his big sister is nice, but it is not salvation. King had Churchianity without Christianity, religion without Truth.

King denied the fundamentals of the faith such as; the bodily resurrection, virgin birth of Christ, and the deity of Jesus Christ.

King was also scornful of "fundamentalism" and uncritical of liberalism. He said that Christianity grew out of mystery religions.

King rarely preached about Jesus Christ and Him crucified. Instead, preached a social gospel using Black churches as his springboard.

From the information above he appears to me that King was no Christian but a heretic.

I don't want to sound mean and I'm no racist for God is no respecter of person. I do have black friends but I believe many are deceived as to what King stood for. I give him credit for stopping segragation in this country. I'm for equal rights among all color and race.

But should we look at him as a true Christian who called himself Reverend?

2. shannonL

shannonL New Member

I believe MLK was a good oratator and that was it.
    He was the mold that has shaped all black demogogues since himself. Is Jessie Jackson a
    "Reverend"? Extortioner would be more like it.
    Al Sharpton, :Louis Farrakan, Malcome X, even Mohammad Ali,these fellows have all taken their cues from MLK even though their theologies might have differed.
    Why does every major and even small city in America have a street named after MLK? I don't care I just find it odd. George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln and alot of other founding fathers should have streets named after them in some place other than mostly Washington DC.
    IMHO the two most harmful groups of people that have been most harmful in helping black americans succeed have been the demogogues I just mentioned along with the democratic party. Neither group in all reality really wants black americans to succeed.IF they did they wouldn't continue to use the issues that face the black community for political capital. Fix the problems = no political issue.
    Also,what most people fail to realize is that the majority of civil rights laws that were passed in this country were passed by republican senators and congressmen. The proof is in the pudding. Go look it up the records are there.

3. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

My opinion of MLK is that he was just a trouble maker. I actually called him that in a 5th grade essay and the teacher loved that I went with my honest opinion. I got an A [​IMG]

ShannonL, so far I have not found an MLK street in my former city nor the one I live in now. Pretty pleased on this end. One bright thing is that in Murfreesboro (former hometown) has a John R. Rice Boulevard. It is where Dr. Rice lived and they actually left the mailbox standing although the house in no longer there. I love it!!! It's about a mile down the road from the Sword buildings.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Would appreciate some documentation of some of the charges so I could state an informed opinion.

5. Seeker Of Truth

Seeker Of Truth New Member

C4K go visit www.jesus-is-lord.com and click on wolves in sheep clothing. There are a few articles on Martin Luther King Jr.

Let me know what you think.

6. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The FBI was investigating MLK because one of his associates, Stanley Levison, was an alleged Communist party member. J. Edgar Hoover, then FBI director, had an openly hostile relationship with MLK. It should also be kept in mind that the McCarthy era was only a decade before.

Here part of the FBI file made available through the Freedom of Information Act that outlines some of the FBI's investigation of MLK. Part1b, page 113 and onward describes the alleged communist connection leading up to survailence of MLK and insinuation of his extramarital affairs.

FBI : FIOA : Martin Luther King, Jr.

Liberal Christianity lead many movements of that time like woman's sufferage and civil rights while Christian "fundamentalism" was opposed to them. While that may not have been true of all fundamentalists of that time and is rarely the case for modern fundamentalists, the Christian landscape was very different in MLK's day.

7. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

Malcolm X did not take his queues from MLK. Malcolm X disliked MLK and his integrationist views. Also, Malcolm X was older than MLK. Malcolm became a leader of the Nation of Islam just as MLK was becoming known nationally in the early 1950s.

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I'll try to have a look tomorrow. I do not already that the site is less than reputable in many areas of study.

9. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Some quotes from the FBI report I linked to above.

10. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

What is the point of all this.

The man is dead. And the movement he lead turned out to be good for this country, right.

So I fail to see the point in critisizing a dead man no matter his faults. I guess my question is what is your ultiment goal with this post. Do you want us to hate the man? Why? and what would it accomplish if we all did?

Did MLK have falts, I think he did. Why dont you add some of the good things he did to this post?

11. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the point of all of this?

It's racism. Pure and simple.

Yes, he was a prominent political/religious figure who had some strong allegations made about his personal life.

We all know that. We've ALL known it for a long time, now.

Were these allegations true? I don't know.

But I know this.

Why don't people crucify JFK in the same way? You want to talk about a bizarre sex life and a crazy father. And what about his claims at Christianity?

JFK is a prime target for this thread.

So are quite a few notable and "beloved" white men who lead at various levels in the political and religious arenas of our country. Quite a few.

I'm not saying that anyone who talks about MLK and questions his virtue or ability to lead is a racist. Not at all. There is nothing wrong with having a discussion on whether all those allegations are true or not and what does that do to his credibility as a man and his being worthy of having a holiday named for him.

But the original post was not a simple discussion. It was a character assassination based on one thing. MLK was black and he has a federal holiday in his honor.

There are white people ALL over this country who would rather eat broken glass than to allow a black man to have a federal holiday named after him.

Maybe I am wrong about the original post, but it just screamed racism to me and not a critical discussion.

If I am wrong, I apologize.

Peace-
    Scarlett O.
    <><

12. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's what happens to them what's get uppity with their betters.

I don't really know why this is a matter of debate. MLK is honored as a civil rights leader, not for his Christianity. If he was right, he was right, no matter his theology.

Except that he had the mistaken impression that Christians would think Jesus would be against the egregious racism that King was facing. How in the world could he think such a thing? After all, southern Baptists— and many other southern Christians — knew race mixing was wrong. Their preachers told them so.

13. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Scarlett

I did not want to say it, even though I can see no other reason. I was really hoping somebody would have an answer.

This is a rerun of the Rosa Parks thread a couple months ago. That thread made me sick to my stomach.

I think I see a patern.

14. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

You don't know?

And yet, although no one said anything racist, you do know that it's racism, pure and simple?

You don't know plain, documented, undisputed history, but you know the hearts of writers on a topic concerning which they have not expressed themselves?

Thus the Annual Disgrace continues . . .

15. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Pipedude

I was hoping it was something else.

Please give me any other reason for this topic. Just give me one good thing this thread can accomplish and I will be happy.

16. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Well, since you said "please," I'll comply.

If we concede that any threads accomplish anything, (a claim which is, itself, disputable), this thread can instruct those who are (1) ignorant of the disgraceful nature of this national holiday and (2) interested in truth. As a result, they might avoid praising God's enemies and advancing that which he opposes.

17. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

This above referenced site gives me the creeps, I remember running across it 4 or 5 years ago. I still have the heebee-jeebees as I type this.

This stuff is the polar-opposite of Christianity-lite (seeker, purpose-driven, Osteen, etc.) - there's a good deal of truth there but the leaven is deadly. I only glanced at the page but if it's anything like it used to be it is very mean-spirited and reeks of self-righteousness.

18. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Pipedude

I read your reasons and again think, what is the point?

This person is dead. It is now up to God to judge him, not us. MLK is the name placed on the civil rights strugle. MLK holiday is a celebration of that strugle. Nobody is going around saying we should sin just like MLK. In fact the charges brought against him are not even well known. He is just the face and name placed on a time in our history that we wish to celebrate.

Why not other historical figures. JFK, Jefferson. Would it be appropriate to look thru the obituarys and then write letters to the editor charging dead old people with sins in their life.

More importently, there are who knows how many lurkers on these forums. Wether this post is meant to be raceist or not, it defentaly looks to be that way.

This post accomplishes nothing good, and it is a bad wittness. It should be removed from this forum.

19. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Wow, I had never heard the things I read in the OP. I can't say I know much about the man though.
    I would like actual proof also about all those charges. I can't imagine calling him a trouble maker for helping black people gain equal rights and in a peaceful way?

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

The charges in the OP are ancient. I have yet to see substantiation through a reliable source regarding them however.