1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Dr. Mohler on The Future of The SBC

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Thousand Hills, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No I have not seen that. Moving toward the inner city certainly shows otherwise.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have...and not impressed. Anyway they don't even exist here.....so much for the SBC.

3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where have you seen this?

#23 Revmitchell, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2014
  4. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kibbitz: What if the conventions have no scriptural authority to plant churches from the start?

Individual church sovereignty is compromised when one of the basic parts of The Commission becomes vested in a board which is basically accountable only to itself.

A similar analogy can be made for Deacon Boards.

Now what? We are still in the "falling away first" time zone.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The SBC is accountable to the local churches within its membership.

6. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting late night reading:

SBC voices.com/"autonomy of the local church". (Needs tweaking)

"Church property disputes in the civil courts": scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/ (Needs tweaking)

If you have a loan from an outside denominational entity, they can control your doctrine when push comes to shove.

The Way is not a denomination. Baptists does not denote a denomination.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

#26 Bro. James, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2014
  7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea everyone creates their own definition of things without knowing much about those they want to criticize.

8. thisnumbersdisconnected

Now that is what I've seen ... that and inner-city church planting by the SBC. The Missouri Baptist Convention and the Kansas-Nebraska Convention of Southern Baptists are both engaged with local churches in planting inner city churches in St. Louis, Kansas City, Wichita, Omaha and also in some depressed rural areas.

Seems a lot of people on here don't like the SBC because they resist strict hyper-Calvinism or phony "not-nearly-reformed" theology.

9. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

The following from the OP does not sound like pragmatism and numbers!

10. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

That is debatable. About all a local Church can do is withhold funds! Some deacons or pastors of SB Churches might know differently!

11. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remember it has been many decades since my last convention contact. But, I thought I would give my own view.

In the past, the level of giving to the cooperative program was hand in glove with the recommendation of a pastor or staff member to a church. No pastor or staff would be recommended to a church unless they showed a certain level of consistency with the SBC at not just the local (regional) level, but the state and even national level.

If a church sponsored their own missionary, or did not give to or lowered their giving to the cooperative program, the regional level would raise the issue and steps (often behind the scene) would be taken to make the local church compliant or to remove the church from being affiliated with the SBC - at times, property was seized, reorganization of the assembly, and new staff put in place by the SBC overseers.

I recall, sitting in a meeting in which the pastor had to defend himself before the deacons. The deacons had been contacted by a SBC leader who underhandedly called into question the pastors credentials, schooling, character, and teaching. NOT ONE item was true, but the damage was done.

When the SBC touts local authority, it sounds so wonderful, but in practice it only extends so far as to the local authority being supportive and in alignment to the SBC. The first sniff of misalignment, the secret "messengers" to the deacons and power brokers of the church begin. Certainly no "paper trail" existed, but it is amazing how a church member will react to a phone call from a "concerned Baptist" (who happens to be a convention "missionary") will float through the congregation.

I know what I am posting.

It is one of the reasons I left the SBC - I saw first hand what ugliness was behind the stench of their politics.

12. thisnumbersdisconnected

No offense, but if it's been "many decades," your view would be completely out of date. The Convention has changed markedly in the last "many decades."
    This has never been true. The calling of a pastor or staff member is solely up to the local church, generally by a vote of the congregation. SBC makes no "recommendations," though they do offer a placement service through which applicants can post their resumes and churches can search them. Used to be by hand, but now, online, it is much easier.
    Perhaps true of some state or regional conventions, perhaps even now, but highly unlikely. Honestly, what I sniff here is personal pique from a bad experience that colored your perspective. Virtually everything you've said here and below is possible, but not very likely. Our church sends its own missionaries, particularly through NAMB, but they are often given NAMB funds. But what you're describing hasn't been visible in the SBC in "many decades" to any great extent, and when you did see it, the things you describe were an exception, not the rule.
    Again, exception, not the rule. Also, this is indicative of a sick church, and they exist at all levels and in all denominations, not just the SBC.
    That's just outright rubbish.
    With all due respect agedman, perhaps you have an historical basis upon which to make such accusations. They are completely invalid today.
    You should come back and see what the SBC is. I'm not sure you ever really experienced it.