1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Dr. Paige Patterson speaks out

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Salty, Dec 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read the op

2. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So nothing. Your statement says "new calvinism" is contrary to baptist belief. Op says some....you labeled it in its whole contrary. How???

Of course some are going to be contrary. Presbyterians csn be part of thr movement as well. It isn't limited by demonination. Again, Albert Mohler....the best know Baptist new calvinist. What does he hold contrary.

....FYI. i changed it from *Danny Akin to Matt Chandler in a previous post. I was reading a Danny Akin book....put the wrong name.

**Of course Akin is part of the Gospel Coalition...so he may be a new calvinist as well

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read the op. If you don't want to do that then there is no use in taking part in this thread. It is all described there. Othewise you are just making a fool of yourself. Now take that back over the dog house forum.

4. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read the op. I posted a summary earlier in the thread.

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then what is the world are you whining about.

6. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...and the OP has nothing to do with your statement about "new calvinism " being contrary to baptist belief. Other new calvinist from other denominations are contrary....but not baptist new calvinists. You are mispresenting what new calvinism is.

7. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You claiming new calvinism is contrary to baptist belief. Which you cant provide proof of.

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So it appears you have not read the op. Go read the op.

9. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have no idea what the new calvinist movement is do you? Simple question, again, what doctrine does Mohler teach....the biggest name in the SBC...that is contrary to baptist belief. The OP has nothing to do with your statement. Stop deflecting, prove your charge that New calvinist is contrary to baptist belief. You think mohler is going to try and take away belivers baptism....that he his planning to over throw SBC stlye church government???

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dont forget Washer.:Wink

11. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would be interested in your listing those doctrines and practices that are contrary to Baptist Doctrine.

As I understand the "New Calvinism" among Southern Baptists it emphasizes:

1. Addressing the on-going evangelical accommodation of postmodernism.

2. Criticizing churches for applying business models to ministry.

3. Concern over "seeker sensitive" churches, church-growth marketing, and manipulative revival techniques.

4. Being missions focused and reaching beyond the church house to reform culture and society.

5. Reclaiming the city centers, largely abandoned for the suburbs in the last half of the last century.

I admit I am troubled that so many of them seem to be continuationist regarding spiritual gifts.

But other than that I don't see where any of it departs from historic Baptist doctrine.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read the op

13. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am going to have to assume you cannot answer either my or McCree's questions. I have read the OP article three times. Nowhere does it support your assertion.

Unfortunately you are starting to sound like Evangelist. "Read the book." "Read the op."

Please, tell me you are not going to tell me to "go chase a rabbit."

If you can answer the questions, please do. If you can't just admit it and we will move on. :)

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Well I am going to have to assume of you, like the other fella, that you have not read the op. Its all there. So here is what happens on this board by you cals, reforms, or whatever you want to call yourself. You don't like what is in the op, but the person that authored the op is not here. You need someone specifically to demonize so you try to atribute what is in the op to people on the board and completely ignore that the positions being debated were authored by someone else. The op does support what I said because I drew it from the op.

Again, he calls many of the positions Presbyterianism because they are positions not held, historically, by Baptists such as elder led, receiving members who have only been sprinkled by other demons etc. It is right there in the op. Now go read it and stop this childish accusation. Really, its beneath you.

15. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please, stop being childish and just answer the question.

I have read it three times and I can't find where any Southern Baptist has denied or abandoned historic Baptist doctrine.
    I call myself a Particular Baptist. I am sure you remember from Church History the Particular Baptists dating to the early 1600s?

I don't like that some seminary students reacted rudely by interrupting and walking out. And I don't like that the preacher failed to distinguish between Baptist New Calvinists, Presbyterian New Calvinists, and other Covenant Protestants, and instead tarred all with the same broad brush.

I don't need to demonize anyone. I just what you to specify where Southern Baptists deny historic baptist doctrines. So far I have seen absolutely no evidence of that. All I have seen is your continued demonization of anyone who believes in Particular Redemption.

No, the op clearly says "some" New Calvinists, but never says that Baptist New Calvinists support baby sprinkling, allow new members who have not been immersed, demand elder led churches (even though W.B. Johnson, the first president of the Southern Baptist Convention, wrote concerning the plurality of elders in most Baptist churches of the South in his time) etc.

Yes, the Presbyterian positions are Presbyterian and Baptist positions are Baptist. And so far no evidence has been offered to show that Baptists have adopted Presbyterian doctrine or that Presbyterians have adopted Baptist doctrines. For "elder led" in Baptist churches see above.

No evidence of any Southern Baptists who are doing that.

I read it. Not a single Baptist mentioned.

I read it three times. The only childishness is your silly "Read the op."

Asking you to support your unfounded allegation? I don't think so.

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    one small part of the op:

"
    ”Would you believe that some Southern Baptist churches today are receiving as members those who have merely been sprinkled but have never been immersed?” Patrick marveled. “Immersion is the only mode of baptism recognized in the Baptist Faith and Message. This creates an entire class of non-baptized Baptists, and this is prevalent especially among our Calvinistic churches, as they receive Presbyterians, for example, into their membership.”

“Southern Baptists cannot help but wonder what is happening as we increasingly embrace the Presbyterian view of salvation doctrine, church government, the mode of baptism, avoidance of the altar call, the use of beverage alcohol, the approval of societal missions funding and so on,” Patrick said."

There is more but my point is made and sustained.

17. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I wouldn't believe it without evidence. What Southern Baptist Church accepts non-baptized members? Asking a question is not evidence. It is not even a claim. It is a question. And a dishonest question at that. It implies that such a church is known to the writer. But he has not offered a church name that meets his assertion. So. No evidence = no proof.

Actually your point is neither made nor sustained. The question would not be considered best evidence in any court in the country. No competent prosecutor would allow his witness offer such a question as if it were a statement, no competent defense attorney would fail to object to the question if it were offered as evidence, and no competent judge would allow the witness to make such a statement.

So, until such a church is named, and the leadership of that church admits that is its policy, it is just hearsay.

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is that all you got? Good grief. My point was not whether he was right or not. If you don't want to believe him that is your personal preference. As I said over and over again. It was in the op. It helps to actually read it before one comments on it.

19. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. The truth is all I "got." Isn't that enough?

Believe what? He never said Baptists were accepting new members without baptism. He said, ”Would you believe that some Southern Baptist churches today are receiving as members those who have merely been sprinkled but have never been immersed?” Perhaps you misunderstood him?

Okay evangelist6589, whatever you say. Nobody read the op except you. Got it. Uh huh. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

20. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, folks considering the tenor of this thread, I'm going to issue an early:
    Six Hour Warning
    This thread will be closed sometime after 6am Pacific.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.