1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dr. Patterson's View of Women (Straight From the Horse's Mouth)

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Todd, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Todd

Todd New Member

GB, to me it just seems way to convenient to make a distinction between pastor/teacher and teacher in order to validate a female having authority over men in the seminary classroom. The issue is not one of pastor/teacher vs. teacher. Rather, the issue is one of authority, and clearly the aforementioned female professors had authority over the men in their classes. I know you could retort by saying that Paul's words only applied to the home and the local church, but be consistent: In your previous reply you seemed to indicate that it's OK for a woman to teach a mixed class or even a men's SS class as long as she submits to her pastor's authority. But again, just because she may not be the final authority, she does have substantial authority in the handling of God's Word, and Paul plainly teaches that such an arrangement is not the will of God (1 Tim. 2:11ff).

If you don't think Paul's words can apply to the seminary classroom (which seems like something of a stretch to me), at least be willing to apply them to the local church.

2. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Todd,

Somehow this thread has morphed from Patterson's view of women to your view of women. That's fine, if that's where you want to go with it.

But do you have anything in writing or a site that you can direct us to that reveals what Patterson's view of women is in relation to the seminary?

Thanks.

3. Todd

Todd New Member

Paul, I stated in a previous post that I have no such writing or statement from Dr. P. that explains in detail his position on women teaching men in the seminary classroom. That is why I challenged you and any others who are concerned to call Dr. P. at SWBTS and ask him yourselves. As I said, he has always had an open-door policy and I can assure you that he will not duck the question.

I think it is quite clear where he stands on the issue based upon his recent actions at the school, but if that doesn't provide you with the clarity which you are seeking, pick up the phone and call him. I'd love to know what you find out.

4. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Why don't you call him.

I don't know Patterson. I'm not a SB. Why would I call him?

You really did us a disservice. You posted a semon by Patterson claiming to reveal his stand in regards to women. When we tried to apply his sermon to situations in the church or seminary, you accused us of slandering and attacking Patterson.

Obviously you know more about Patterson, his beliefs, and his actions at the seminary.

When we finally understood that you had an agenda different from the original post, and call you on it, you tell us to call Patterson.

You call him. And then report back to us what you discovered.

In other words, straight from the horse's mouth, tell us how he applies his "sermon" to the seminary. And do it without accusing us of attacking Patterson!

5. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Recent actions:

Why don't you list out for us the recent actions that Patterson has taken at SWBTS that makes his position so clear to you? Thanks.

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It might be good to note that the above article isn't a verbatim text or transcript of Dr. Patterson's sermon. It is done in the normal BPNews format of quoting a line then exegeting it.

You might want to check the whole sermon and not a slice before getting all the info from some horse's mouth