1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dream Interpretation?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Ben W, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Good scripture, StefanM.

We are living in the last days, are we not?

2. Link

Link New Member

Circuit rider wrote
    **We must keep in mind that God speaks to us through his Word and that Word is complete. We do not have nor need further revelation through dreams or any other medium. Dreams are simply a function of the subconscious mind and reflect our activity and thinking patterns.**

I do not see any scriptural evidence for your position. The idea that God only speaks through the Bible contradicts scripture. The Bible clearly shows us that God spoke to prophets whose prophecies were not all recorded in scripture. Since the Bible speaks of revelations outside of itself, we know that the Bible is not the only revelation.

'Word' with a capital "W' should apply to Christ, since Christ is deity, and the Bible is not. The Bible is not a fourth member of a quadrinity.

The Bible clearly shows us that God can speak to people through dreams and give others interpretations. We see examples of this in the lives of Daniel and Joseph. The New Testament also predicts that God will pour out His Spirit in the last days and that old men will dream dreams.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

But when God did this, the canon was not complete. Also, God did it either with prophets or in unusual situations, such as events surrounding Jesus' birth.

There is no case in the Bible that I can think of where a dream is being given just for a person's private benefit -- it always had to do with the prophets, Israel, Jesus, or the church. And those dreams were recorded in the Bible so that we have the benefit of what they revealed.

4. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Surely you aren't asserting that "if it's not in Scripture, it's wrong", are you?????

This philosophy could lead to all kinds of rabbit trails---!

Do we need to strictly limit this verse to things that Jesus "DID"! Can we not logically infer that there is a great deal about God dealing with man that we aren't told?

Does having a dream where God speaks directly to an individual for his own good violate any of His word?

If any belief/concept/action does not contradict the written word, then why condemn it?

And please, (not that I think you, Marcia, would do this, but there are many who love to argue simply for the sake of arguing) do not retort that nowhere in scripture does God condemn chewing tobacco, or getting high on canned air, or some such nonsense---the principles are there if you are really concerned enough to check it out!

The point being that absence of any word in Scripture about any given topic does not condone OR condemn that topic.

Each subject must be examined against the teachings of Scripture to verify or deny it's validity.

5. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

I think we're back to the old revelation vs illumination discussion. IMHO, there is no longer direct revelation but illumination, whether it be by Holy Spirit throught The Word or by dreams, a possibility that I'm not ready to judge.

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Surely you aren't asserting that "if it's not in Scripture, it's wrong", are you?????
    </font>[/QUOTE]I think it's getting into tricky waters to say God is giving dreams to people. However, I said in a previous post that it's possible.

Do we need to strictly limit this verse to things that Jesus "DID"! Can we not logically infer that there is a great deal about God dealing with man that we aren't told?
    </font>[/QUOTE]If God doesn't tell us, then there's a good reason. I see Jn 21.25 used all the time to speculate on all sorts of things and sometimes to justify them. But if scripture is silent on something, we should be careful. Maybe God doesn't include things in the Bible for a reason.

Please don't put words in my mouth. I didn't condemn it. I merely said that there is no example in the Bible where God gives a dream for a person's private benefit.

Yes, but we should keep things like this mind as well:
    I just don't think it's the norm nor should one spend time trying to figure out if a dream is from God. If it is, I am sure they would know it.