1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dreams

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Deborah B., Oct 11, 2004.

1. Deborah B.

Deborah B. New Member

I would like to get some fello Christian perspectives on dreams. Here lately, just about every time I sleep, whether it be a nap or sleep for the night, I have been having bad dreams. For fear of people passing judgement, I won't go in to detail about the dreams. I will state that they have nothing to do with murder or violence. Now, in my waking hours I do NOT have thoughts about such things, nor would I ever. I was saved on 2/29 of this year. Since I am a "baby" Christian, do you think that this could possibly be satan trying to tempt me??? I literally feel like I am under attack when I am asleep. If I am a child of God, and I am, how could satan enter my mind? I do pray immediately when I wake up, but it still keeps happening, and it makes me feel so guilty for dreaming such things, even though I don't have control over my dreams. Any and all thoughts and/or advice is welcome, as I know many Christians have to deal with this in some form or another all the time.

In Christ Jesus, our Lord and Savior,
    Deborah [​IMG]

2. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Sister Deborah, I just want to encourage you in your battles. As a new Christian, Satan may indeed be attacking you, especially if you are starting to progress in your Christian walk. I am in the midst of a trial that involves my wife. She is being attacked constantly, and part of Satan's tactics involves explicit dreams. But she is starting to persevere. Satan will probably use every trick in the book now that she has repented of some things that were holding her back, but I believe she will overcome.

Satan has had 6000 years to devise ways to make us stumble. He hates us and doesn't want us to get the rewards that Christ has in store for us if we overcome. But if you have faith as the grain of a mustard seed...
    James 4:7
    Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Satan will try to make you feel guilty, to discourage you so that you give up on God. But trust God and know that He has rich blessings waiting for you on the other side of this trial. And He will give you the strength you need, if you believe His word.

10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
    11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
    12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
    13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
    14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
    15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
    16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
    17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
    18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

Keep yourself in the word daily, keep praying and keep resisting temptations. Remember that you are a child of God, and that you have been redeemed. The devil WILL flee from you.

3. Sakrysta

Sakrysta New Member

Dreams can be so frustrating. You feel so out of control - and it's worse when your flesh likes what you're dreaming. *sigh*

My only advice is to keep praying. The Lord knows our weaknesses. He knows we are but flesh. When I have disturbing dreams, I just have to remember to put my focus on God and not to dwell on the dreams. He wants us to rely on him for our strength, and sometimes I think that's what he's trying to teach me when I wake up from one of those dreams.

I don't see any evidence from Scripture that Satan can read our minds. I believe it's my own sin nature trying to assert itself. I just have to spend more time in the Word and in prayer.

4. Deborah B.

Deborah B. New Member

Thank you for your reply James. I really needed to hear that I am not alone with this happening to. I was really embarrased for confessing this to everyone here, but I felt compelled to see if this happens to others so that I would not feel alone. I feel so bad because I would never turn my back on God and revert back to a life full of sin. You are right, I have gotten to the point in my faith where my love for God and His glorious son Jesus Christ consumes me. Maybe in my sleep is the only time that satan feels he can try to "get me". I just pray the devil will stop his attacks because it makes me feel sooooooo awful and guilty when I wake up. Thank you for quoting that scripture, James. I have written it down to meditate on and include in my prayers.

As children of the one and only living God, satan does not stand a chance with us! [​IMG]

Praise Christ Jesus, our Lord and Savior!
    Deborah [​IMG]

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Eph 6:12
    For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

Ro 8:7
    Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be.

Deborah, can you listen to some praise music before bed or keep it on during the night? Also, avoid any t.v. shows just before bed that might cause fitful sleep.

Praying for you!
    Diane

6. Deborah B.

Deborah B. New Member

Diane,

That is the thing. I have gotten rid of the t.v. junk that I used to watch. I mainly just watch Fam Net, TBN occasionally if there is a good Bible movie on, Fox News, Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, or History Channel. LOL I do not listen to anything but Christian music. I have made a complete turn-around from my old life. It seems like the more I change the harder the attacks gets.

P.S. Thank you very, very much for the prayers, I need them, as do we all!

In Christ,
    Deborah

7. Deborah B.

Deborah B. New Member

These posts leave me with a question. Can satan enter our minds, awake or asleep, or is it our old sinful ways trying to resist? Could it be satan or ourselves, or both?

Thoughts?

In Christ,
    Deborah

8. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

The dream I dream the most doesn't have anything to do with God or with the devil---nor is it a so called "horror" dream---

I dream the most that I am back in school(only in college---never in Seminary or in high school)---and that I've taken this Algebra class or a specific English class----and fail to show up!! Or in the English class---I have a giant research paper due the next day and I haven't even started---sometimes I panic in my dream but most of the time I remain "cool" and "suave" and "it ain't no problem that I haven't started this dumb English assignment!" It isn't the devil plantin' thoughts in my mind---"No problem, David!! You'll get an "A" anyway!! Bluff your way out of that class!"---that ain't the devil thinkin' for me---its thoughts I think while I'm dreamin'!!

One of these days I'm gonna wake up from one of those dreams and realize that I really do have a class I ain't been going to---or that I really do have a paper due that's impossible to do overnight----BUT----that day is yet to materialize---so right now---I ain't gonna panic over any dream I may have!!

Your Southern Baptist preachin', "cool" dreamin' buddy,
    Blackbird

9. Deborah B.

Deborah B. New Member

I pray that one day soon I will go back to those silly "I'm back in school" dreams. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In Christ,
    Deborah

10. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Deborah---there ain't nothin' silly about gettin' an "F" in English in your dreams!!! There ain't nothin' more satisfyin' than gettin' an "A" in Algebra in your dreams, either!!!

11. Sakrysta

Sakrysta New Member

Oh man, I HATE those! Often I end up being roommates with my boss, which is an absolute NIGHTMARE! [​IMG] A lot of times I'm in trouble for breaking some rule - being a BJU alumna will do that to a girl. ;)

12. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Phil. 4:4 Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again – rejoice! 5 Let everyone see that you are considerate in all you do. Remember, the Lord is coming soon. 6 Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. 7 If you do this, you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. 8 And now, dear brothers and sisters, let me say one more thing as I close this letter. Fix your thoughts on what is true and honorable and right. Think about things that are pure and lovely and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. 9 Keep putting into practice all you learned from me and heard from me and saw me doing, and the God of peace will be with you.

www.new-life.net

13. Deborah B.

Deborah B. New Member

All I know is that my dreams have never been like this before, as frequent. So I know without a doubt something is up. They are not dreams that I desire, nor would act upon. They are the exact opposite of me. I do know that I am not going to back slide on my faith.

Satan may not be able to "read" your mind, but do you think he could plant "thoughts" in your mind? A lot of times we are tempted by thoughts right? So if satan can plant thoughts in your mind without actually reading your mind, couldn't he plant dreams also????

In Christ,
    Deborah

14. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Well, risking another avalanche, I think that television has been a powerful medium for Satan in these last days to plant 'seeds' in the minds of believers and unbelievers alike. There is a difference between the way the brain processes information when you read it, vs when you watch it ala television. It is entirely probable that something we watch will afect us later on more than it affected us when we first saw it and digested the seed. It grows and brings forth fruit, just like any other seed.

TV is used to make us covet. We covet women, we covet cars, we covet all the wonderful things that the world has to offer as they are advertised to us one by one on the big scren in our living room. This is just the commercials. The programming is another story all together.

2Timothy 2
    15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
    16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.
    17 And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus;

Television is a never ending stream of profane and vain babblings. There may be occasional exceptions, but for myself I have found very little redeeming about the box.

Now, whether or not Satan can directly influence our thoughts, I don't quite know. But like I said before, he has had 6000 years to practice. Whatever he is doing today, he is very good at.

15. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Diane???? You ain't never had any "goofy" dreams??? HA!! A History Final you didn't study for?? Term paper you ain't even wasted the first smudge of ball point ink on???

16. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I just remembered something I saw the other day for the first time. TBS I think it was has an advertisement that I now get to see everyday on a billboard when I drive into downtown Dallas. It says in big letters:
    Have "Sex" With "Friends"
    and then underneath you see that it is advertising their 'haha' lineup of Friends and Sex And The City. Hows that for a seed?

17. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Certainly have Blackbird but Deborah has a serious concern about dreams that are not seemly to a Christian lady and that's what I wanted to address.

18. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Deborah, have you started or stopped taking a medication lately? Are you pregnant?

While I would never discount that Satan might be attacking you where he thinks you are the weakest, bad/unusual dreams may be caused by changes in your body's chemical makeup.

My dreams run the gamut from Blackbirds school dreams(comman) to scarey murder dreams(only when I'm pregnant). If I am depressed I don't dream or don't remember dreaming, once I am back on the medication I use to treat my depression I dream very vivid dreams that I remember the next morning. If I'm not depressed and not on medication, I usually wake at the end of a vivid dream and can remember it then, but not the next morning.

I can't watch anything very emotional, period. Doesn't matter if it is violent, very emotional dramatic shows wear on my nerves and cause me to dream about people dying(not murder) or getting sick. If I am very frustrated during the day, I dream that my kids aren't behaving and nothing I say or do changes their behaviour.

When I was pregnant I had two very vivid dreams about people being murdered. The first was someone chasing the family(including members we have little contact with) through an airport hacking off one after another of us in bright vivid colors. I didn't sleep good for a week after that one.

The second was worse and involved me covering up a murder that someone very close to me committed and I discovered. That one still keeps me awake sometimes.

I haven't had a dream like that any time I wasn't pregnant and those two occured in my last two pregnancies. Evidently from hormonal changes since I stay away from violent/horror type shows.

Just something to consider as you try to make sense of what you're dreaming about.

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't sweat the dreams. Ask Jesus to take them away from you, and He will. Go to sleep meditating on Scripture. Set you mind on things above.

20. Deborah B.

Deborah B. New Member

Thanks everyone! I will continue to pray and meditate!

In Christ,
    Deborah