1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dreams

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by christianyouth, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

How about just giving Scripture on the matter instead of thoughts?

Acts, chapter 2

"17": And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Joseph, I actually think this is more a case of God convicting you through His word, rather than a dream. The preacher's words, which came from the Bible, were in your dreams. God was using his word and the vehicle for that was your dreams. I don't know if I would call this God speaking to you in dreams. He wasn't speaking to you directly the way that I thinking of on this thread -- he had already said these words and you were hearing them in dreams, undoubtedly due to conviction.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

This has to do with direct revelation from God and some think it was fulfilled at Pentecost. It seem apocalyptic and figurative - You can't take it literally or else it's only old men who are having the dreams. Do you think this justifies believing that people have direct extra-biblical revelation from God today? If so, you must be charismatic/pentecostal.

Would be interested in other views on this. Maybe you should start a thread on it.

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

maybe God speaks to us...we repress what He is saying...and then it comes back at us in dream form.

One of my student ministry workers was brought to God through a vivid dream he had of dying without Christ. God had been calling him all along, and he had been ignoring God...maybe God let this guy's mind work overtime that night, and God's pleas (and warnings of judgement) were replayed in the gallery of his mind. That next morning, he found a Bible, opened to John 3, read, and asked Jesus to be his Lord.

wow, did I ever ramble on that one...

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

It says in the last days and I am not Penecostal but Old Regular Baptist who all believe in dreams from God, why? does everyone believe only Penecostal can have dreams from God? What I don't understand is why would you have a problem with it if the Scripture says so. Why are you completely glossing over those Scriptures. The OT is full of dreams and visions. Can anyone show me by Scripture where God has changed? God even comforts those who have lost love one in dreams. God will guide you in which way to go when there is trouble in the Church. Maybe some believe it was done away with but they don't have Scripture for it for I just gave you Scripture for it and it say old men shall dream dreams but it does not say the young men shall not dream dreams or visa versa. I notice that everyone is glossing over the Scripture and wondered why but those who do not believe in dreams from God are wrong and against Scripture.

May I ask you a question Marcia? In the church where you have membership do they ever rejoice and praise God? The reason I am asking is because that was what happened on the day of Penecost also.

#25 Brother Bob, Jun 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2006
  6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Different ages and different sexes. All NT, if I put down the OT I could not get them all in and that is not all in NT. God will give dreams and visions until the end, Amen. (I call them "Baptists". :applause: :praying: )

Matthew, chapter 27
    "19": When he was set down on the judgment seat, his wife sent unto him, saying, Have thou nothing to do with that just man: for I have suffered many things this day in a dream because of him.

KJMatt.02
    "19": But when Herod was dead, behold, an angel of the Lord appeareth in a dream to Joseph in Egypt,

"20": Saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and go into the land of Israel: for they are dead which sought the young child's life.

"21": And he arose, and took the young child and his mother, and came into the land of Israel.

"22": But when he heard that Archelaus did reign in Judaea in the room of his father Herod, he was afraid to go thither: notwithstanding, being warned of God in a dream, he turned aside into the parts of Galilee:

2 Corinthians, chapter 12
    "1": It is not expedient for me doubtless to glory. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord.

KJMatt.17
    "9": And as they came down from the mountain, Jesus charged them, saying, Tell the vision to no man, until the Son of man be risen again from the dead.

Luke, chapter 24
    "23": And when they found not his body, they came, saying, that they had also seen a vision of angels, which said that he was alive.

Acts, chapter 9
    "10": And there was a certain disciple at Damascus, named Ananias; and to him said the Lord in a vision, Ananias. And he said, Behold, I am here, Lord.

Acts, chapter 10

"1": There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of the band called the Italian band,

"2": A devout man, and one that feared God with all his house, which gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God always.

"3": He saw in a vision evidently about the ninth hour of the day an angel of God coming in to him, and saying unto him, Cornelius.

Acts, chapter 16
    "9": And a vision appeared to Paul in the night; There stood a man of Macedonia, and prayed him, saying, Come over into Macedonia, and help us.

Revelation, chapter 9
    "17": And thus I saw the horses in the vision, and them that sat on them, having breastplates of fire, and of jacinth, and brimstone: and the heads of the horses were as the heads of lions; and out of their mouths issued fire and smoke and brimstone.

You know, I been thinking and don't know if I ever ran into anyone who don't believe in dreams from God. This is knew to me. I guess I haven't been around long enough!
    :confused:

#26 Brother Bob, Jun 16, 2006
  7. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

I firmly believe that God speaks to us in many forms...one of which is dreams. God may use other people, music, dreams, to talk to us. If we only used the bible....where would preachers be?
    :praise:

8. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

I agree with bapmom though. No special revelation. Anything God tells you should already be found in your Bible. God the Holy Spirit does indwell us so I believe God speeks to us. But if you are hearing something outside of scripture then it is not God speaking. Special revelation is the excuse all Mormons have as to why they believe outside of what the Bible teaches.

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Of course He don't tell you something outside of Scripture. No one is saying that. We are saying through dreams He may comfort us, guide us, warn us. The Lord is my Sheppard, I shall not want etc.
    If the Holy Scripture says He will then He will.:praise: And the Holy Scripture not only says He will but says He did and does!

I agree with bapmom too. If anyone says God told you to give him 10 million or he is going to die then call the funeral home. Now if that is what Marcia is saying also, then I agree but that in no way says that God don't talk to his children through dreams and comfort them and guide them. We had terrible trouble in the Church years ago and I didn't know which way to go and God showed me in a dream what I should do. I followed that dream and it turned out right. He also showed me if I went the other way what would happen. I really feel sad for someone who has never had a dream from their Father.:tear: It is a witness that you are His.:praying:

#29 Brother Bob, Jun 16, 2006
  10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The dreams recorded in the Bible are part of God's revelation to us; they are not just personal guidance. I do not think this kind of revelation is going on today or we would be having to add pages to our Bible.

I never said God doesn't give personal guidance to people in dreams. I was just giving cautions as I find far too many who want to hear God in dreams rather than read what He's already told us in His word.

11. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

SIC stand for Sister in Christ. KS is her initials.
    Faithgirl

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I disagree this Scripture has anything to do with direct Revelations from God but has to do with Prophesying. It is not saying they will get their messages from dreams but goes on to say they will have dreams and visions. It means exactly what I have seen you do on here and that is to prophesy that Jesus will come again to receive his people. I have not had the problem of people relying on dreams instead of reading their Bible. All I have ever had tell me of a dream was when they were in trouble and God revealed to them what to do or they were suffering and God comforted them, etc. I may have misunderstood you but thought you went a little too far the other way. No one believes in a dream telling people to give a million dollars or more and such crazy dreams as that.

#32 Brother Bob, Jun 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2006
  13. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

When I lost a loved one, I had, for the first few months, visions while sleeping that gave me peace. I also, as well as some in the family, experienced small signs from the Lord during this time.