1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dress as opposite sex.

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by The Scribe, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nunatak

nunatak New Member

SFIC is correct. I have studied this extensively and fully agree with what he said. Otherwise, I don't care what people wear. And I will not be deceived either, because I realize we are all totally depraved. There but for the Grace of God go I.:godisgood:

2. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

SFIC,

You have the meaning of "Pertaineth" right, but still the application you're making doesn't fit. The verse flat out says men are not to wear women's clothes. There are no qualifiers regarding war or anything else.

3. billwald

billwald New Member

Lots of Jewish people in Reedsport? (A nice tourist town). Why should pork chop eating gentiles get upset over cross dressing?

4. nunatak

nunatak New Member

Okay, I was only part right.

From K&D

As the property of a neighbour was to be sacred in the estimation of an Israelite, so also the divine distinction of the sexes, which was kept sacred in civil life by the clothing peculiar to each sex, was to be not less but even more sacredly observed. “There shall not be man's things upon a woman, and a man shall not put on a woman's clothes.” כּלי does not signify clothing merely, nor arms only, but includes every kind of domestic and other utensils (as in Exo_22:6; Lev_11:32; Lev_13:49). The immediate design of this prohibition was not to prevent licentiousness, or to oppose idolatrous practices (the proofs which Spencer has adduced of the existence of such usages among heathen nations are very far-fetched); but to maintain the sanctity of that distinction of the sexes which was established by the creation of man and woman, and in relation to which Israel was not to sin. Every violation or wiping out of this distinction - such even, for example, as the emancipation of a woman - was unnatural, and therefore an abomination in the sight of God.

5. standingfirminChrist

These verses you give have nothing to do with wearing clothes of the opposite sex, nunatak.

6. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

No, says God and scripture. I guess the jury is still out on homosexually too?

Both dressing like the opposite sex and homosexuality are wrong and sinful.

7. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Nothing to add to the thread that you couldn't PM me about.
    Just sounds like justifying sin.

2 Peter 3:3 (KJV)
    Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,

8. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

That's what I was saying. :thumbs:

It talks about both men and women. It's an abomination. Nothing to argue about.

Deuteronomy 22:5 (KJV)
    The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

Oh, stop it. I was referring to calling "pants on women" a sin...not the original story. Quit trying to twist my words into something I didn't say.

Man, what is it this week with some of you? :rolleyes:

10. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Um, sure. :rolleyes:

:tongue3:

11. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread seems to be missing the element that the passages which specifically mention one gender wearing what 'pertains' to the other are all Old Testament. To be consistent with why I don't regard sabbath observance or kosher laws as required of NT Christians, I don't think this topic has any such requirement either. It's really just a matter of taste. Besides, I have seen, and been in, dramas of biblical themes, and the costumes I wore were definitely more like a dress than anything a (normal) man would wear; and so were the robes of the time and culture of the Bible.

12. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

The Old Testament isn't invalid and neither is the verse I gave. The other verse:
    1 Corinthians 6:9 (KJV) works too.
    Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

The term "New Testament" Christian isn't something a true Christian would say.

It's a watered-down term. Unless, you're suggesting we get rid of creation?

How did it really happen?

Also, you're saying one of the Ten Commandments is now invalid?

Exodus, chapter 20:8 (KJV)
    Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Are you sure you're a Baptist?

#32 The Scribe, Apr 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2008
  13. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. Quite sure. Am I suggesting we get rid of creation? I think that's a useless endeavor, since we could use nothing to get rid of this big creation that ain't a part thereof.

Am I saying one of the "Ten Commandments" is now invalid. For Christians, yes. Romans 14:5,6; Colossians 2:16.

14. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Ten Commandments in the New Testament

You have been mislead. We still have to follow the Ten Commandments.

Matthew 5:17-19 (KJV)
    17: Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.
    18: For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
    19: Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

It won't be fulfilled until Christ's second coming.

15. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If what you are saying is correct, then we do have to circumcise our baby boys or any converts, we cannot eat pork, shellfish, or hamburger helper, and we should have to put blood on our doors in a couple of weeks.

But scripture makes is plain we can eat what we want, circumcision is contraindicated because it obligates us to "obey the full law"-- which Paul refers to with the negative connotation that Christ is then no use to us-- and the days, seasons, or festivals we make up our own minds about and refuse to accept anyone's judgement about them-- which I'm doing right here, bud.

16. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

A few things have been amended in the New Testament. But, not the Ten Commandments.

17. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Alcott, Mr. Scribe likes to put people under the law. That's his thing.

I figure God has much bigger fish to fry to worry about if the clothing we wear is culturally defined (by humans btw) as belonging to one gender or the other. Kilts, for example, could be confused for a skirt, but are not considered feminine. I also figure he probably doesn't care much about a lot of other things people get themselves all worked up about.

18. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

As far as the scriptures are concerned Jesus didn't come to earth to destroy the law.

We all know how watered-down you are. You believe in evolution. Which is contrary to scripture as well.

19. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Which is contradictory to your "God in a Box" view of the creator anyway. And what does water have to do with anything? I guess I am such concentrated goodness that I have to be mixed with water.

20. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

God is in a box? You have strange ideas.

You're wrong again. :wavey:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.