1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dress code in church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, May 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, my goodness, I am getting liberal. I normally wear a short sleeve shirt. And I have been know to take off my jacket whether in the pew or the pulpit.

Personally, I always wear a suit and tie to church service. One, I was brought up that way - two I am very military. In the Army we were taught to "Look Sharp, Feel Sharp, Be Sharp".

Scarlett said "On a job interview, people are trying to impress someone into thinking that they are more than they really are." I do not exactly agree with that statement. By dressing in a certain way you are informing that individual of what you are cable of doing.

It is do easy to get lax in or way of thinking. Why do so many churches have "Pew Bibles"? Is it because we are so lazy we can not bring our own? What would be your thought the pastor announce, "Oh, I don't have my Bible with me today"?

I think as Christians, we should strive to be a step above. Not in a Pharisaical way, but in a way requesting respect.

I know I have more to say, but I have been sick this weekend, so my thoughts are not coming out exactly the way I want them to.

2. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wifey and I used to attend an IFB church years ago. If I remember correctly, I think I was the only one who wore blue jeans on sunday. Not a word was ever said about it. We were warmly accepted as we were while we were there. They were a wonderful bunch.

Had there initially been words of rebuke or 'concern', we probably would have searched elsewhere.

It should also be noted that I believe Wifey and I were the only ones there not with KJV Bibles. :rolleyes:

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Salty - I'm sorry you're not feeling well!! I pray that you recover quickly.

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is important to dress respectfully and in non-distracting manner.

It is not a matter of "giving your best to God" in the sense of wearing your best clothes. I would look ridiculous showing up in white tie and tails with my wife in a floor-length formal evening gown.

Dressing modestly is important--not revealing and not ostentatious.

And not all suits are created equal. Some of the obviously dated suits don't look so good. The same goes for some poor-quality suits.

And as a matter of concern for the less fortunate in the congregation...expecting suits excludes a large portion of the population. I work in a professional environment, so I have a wardrobe that includes suits. Those in blue-collar jobs might not even own a suit. Even in some professional environments, suits are not expected. Also, suits are not cheap--at all. Even a "cheap" suit is going to cost $100.

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I gotta throw this in there, and you know who you are guys...that suit with the medium brown pants and pea-green shirt with a few buttons that are just a wee bit too tight on your belly now, the one that you bought in the eighties and wear with a yellow tie? Please burn it. It's giving everyone unpleasant flashbacks. :tongue3:

6. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

They would be wrong to judge you. However, since dress is really a non-issue and since they seem to be weaker in faith on this issue, then it seems the proper thing to do would be to give up your freedom in love and go ahead and dress to their expectations. Love overrides freedom.

7. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please include an invitation for the deacon at the home church who still wears a powder blue leisure suit. Fortunately he gave up the platform heels when his knees started to go bad......

8. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

75 is not cold enough for me and most of the time I am in a short sleeve shirt.

To answer the original question. I wear what I wear.

Sometimes that is a long sleeve shirt, sometimes a short sleeve shirt, sometimes a tshirt. I have also been know to wear a tie and a coat.

If I am going to speak etc I normally wear at least a tie but sometimes through the coat on too.

9. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Hey Gina, can we still wear our old leisure suits?

Seriously, our church has evolved over the years. We're not as straight-laced as we were a few decades ago.

Pants on women was just not done, but I remember when things began to loosen up. That's when mini-skirts came in. Some of our teenagers, and a few adults showed up in them. All of a sudden, slacks began to look pretty good. So did those floor-length dresses.

Looking back, I can't believe we thought those leisure suits were cool.

10. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

A little late to the game but I'll go ahead and post and give my $0.02. I usually wear a short sleeved or long sleeve button up dress shirt, and khaki's. What you would call business casual. Rarely wear a tie and sports jacket, but will if my wife insists. Occasionally on Sunday nights I'll wear blue jeans and a polo. I don't feel comfortable wearing shorts, even during VBS. My wife grew up in a church where women wearing pants is frowned upon, she's taken a while to feel comfortable wearing slacks occassionally, but still mainly wears dresses and skirts, but always dresses nice and modest.

As said before this is a liberty issue. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable in a church where I was "expected" to wear a suit and tie every Sunday. Nor would I feel comfortable in a church where shorts and t-shirts were the norm.

To lighten the mood a little:

For Women: http://sacredsandwich.com/archives/8298

For Men: http://sacredsandwich.com/archives/8244

11. beameup

beameup Member

I have noticed that a lot of Baptist churches are holding a "Classical" service as well as a "Modern" or "Contemporary" service.

When I was attending a Baptist church in the late 1960s they would have nothing to do with the hippies.
    I then began attending Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa where they were welcomed and literally thousands where led to the Lord.
    I guess you could say that was the beginning of the "Modern" or "Contemporary" service. :)

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    1971 August - Three gals came to our church. Sr Pastor had left for the mission field just 6 months after I finished seminary and came as his associate. I began interim pastoring and didn't know what to do.

Hot summer morning. All three were in skimpy spandex or halter tops, shorts, etc. Remember, we were a traditional Baptist church TRYING to break out of that mindset and reaching a broad (no pun) community.

I remember having a TERRIBLE time trying to keep my mind and my focus on the Word. Don't think in 40+ years since I have ever been more distracted from preaching and litterally had to look out at the congregation "over their heads".

If ever there HAD been a dress code, I wish it had been that day. I am 63 and still could tell you the color of their outfits . . I say to my shame.

There IS a matter of decency and appropriateness needed.

13. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Does anyone else appreciate the irony of preachers and church members who dress just like business persons, realtors, and bankers, but then preach against "worldly" issues? :laugh:

We have a dress code at our church. It is one word... Modest. After that, almost anything goes.

The people who arrive with suit and tie/dress are obviously visitors, because our norm is jeans and un-tucked shirt, but one can wear jeans and a shirt and be modest.

(We drink coffee in the service as well...) :wavey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c4WQwORqrA

14. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Modest is the key word.....and my IFB church is one of those that doesn't frown on pants on a woman. (Skin tight maybe...but normal attire? nope.)

or....men in short sleeved shirts. We had a deacon that wore his Oakland Raider tee shirt to Sunday night services! (Sunday mornings he was an usher, so it was a suit and tie)

If you serve in a ministry....(examples SS teacher, choir, usher)
    we do have a dress code. Women- dresses - - men, summer - shirt and tie, winter - shirt, tie, and jacket.

I see no problem with that. I have had to wear uniforms in various jobs, and in order to keep my job, I had to wear them.

15. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

Preach it brotha!!!!!

Today I'm wearing shorts, t-shirt and sandals to Church. The fact that its a mission service at the local park might have a little to do with that :laugh: being outdoors and all.

But seriously, an uptight dress code does more to drive people away than anything. Then it just creates an atmosphere for the sin of vanity to arise among the congregation by seeing who can "outdress" each other.

16. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If somebody doesn't like our church because of the way we dress, then so be it.

17. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

#1 That is a really poor attitude for a group whose master told them that the number one thing they were to be doing is evangelism.

#2 No one said anything about the way you dress. His statement was about a"dress CODE"...in other words, forcing others to dress the way you want them to.

18. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First of all, Jesus never said that evagelism is the "number one thing".

While we have a very vital evangelism team, we also understand that the purpose of the corporate worship service is for the gathering of the Body of Christ for corporate worship, to hear the Word of God preached and taught, for fellowship, and for the edification of the Body, not evangelism. In the Bible, the Biblical model of evangelism is always done outside the church walls, in the street, in the "highways and byways". This is why we welcome the unsaved to our church to visit, to observe, to learn, or just to see what goes on, but we take the evangelism to them. It's why there is a sign hanging over the doorway leading out of our sanctuary that says, "You are now entering the mission field".

The unsaved are certainly welcome in our church and if an unsaved person visits our church and hears the Gospel, then that would be wonderful, but there is nothing in scripture that suggests that we are to turn a meeting meant for the Body of Christ into an evangelistic outreach to the unsaved.

So, no, we are not going to let goats dictate what is meant for the sheep.

Dress codes can also be informal, dictated not by rule or force, but by a common shared attitude or belief, or cultural or social norms.

#38 JohnDeereFan, May 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2011
  19. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Well amen to that! Glad we can agree on something!

But I was not referring to the lost. I was referring to different "types" of saved folks. If I go out on the street (we were out street preaching yesterday on the beach. Had a great time; witnessed to a slew of folks), and preach to a bunch of surfers, and they all come to Christ, I would fully expect them to show up to the corporate worship service on Sunday in jeans and a T-Shirt. It would be the completely wrong message to send, to say "Well now your saved, so you have to change and be like me." While that might be true on spiritual matters (like doing drugs, etc.), it is certainly NOT true concerning dress, or other "neutral" matters (example: "now you have to play golf instead of surf").

I don't think he was referring to "This is how we all like to dress." I think he was referring to an attitude of "Dress like us, or your not welcome here."

20. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hopefully, they'll grow out of that. But this idea that we're not supposed to set an example for new Christians in the way we dress is going to ensure that they do not.

This is BaptistBoard, where the prevailing attitude is "anthing goes in the church and if you think there should be order or, God forbid, reverence in the church, we're going to come after you".

For goodness sake, I just got attacked up one side and down the other (with the approval of the moderators, no less), for daring to suggest that am American Idol-style performance isn't consistent with the definition of "leading worship".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.