1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dress code in church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, May 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

You drink coffee in church. :eek In the SANCTUARY??? WHILE THE PREACHER PREACHES?????????

What are ya'll thinking to bring that that, that STUFF into the sanctuary?!!! Don't you know how that suff stains? Are you just trying to create more work for the cleaning staff???

Don't ya'll have HOMES to drink coffee in? Like I'm doing right now. See, this is the PROPER place to drink nice hot Red Diamond Hazelnut coffee with half and half in it. I'm on my se-thi-hmmmmmm...

Maybe I've had enough this morning. :D Carry on!

:laugh:

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It never used to be that way. No food or beverages were ever allowed in the auditorium. We call it the auditorium. (Sanctuaries are for birds.) But slowly things changed. First diabetics had to have water with them. Then small babies had to have their beverages, then toddlers. Now all the "small babies" have to have their coffees" or addiction fix in the auditorium. One never knows what would happen if it would be taken away from them.

3. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We still don't allow food or drink in the sanctuary. I realize you're all going to call me a Pharisee or some other personal attack for that, but we believe the sanctuary is a place that is set apart for the worship of the Lord.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs:

n. pl. sanc·tu·ar·ies 1. a. A sacred place, such as a church, temple,

The holiest part of a sacred place, as the part of a Christian church around the altar.

A sacred place, such as a church, in which fugitives formerly were immune to arrest.
    Immunity to arrest afforded by a sanctuary.

A place of refuge or asylum.
    When we come to worship, we should give 100% to the Lord. It is not a time to eat, drink, listen to the ball game(via earplug) ect.
    I often will say I am not interested in your undivided attention (since 25-30% may be divided among other activities) rather, I insist on your full attention. Our society has put itself into this "me first" & "my rights" attitude.
    Others do judge us. We should strive to have a higher standard. Often our actions speak louder than words. I remember, back at Zweibruecken Bap, in the mid '70's virtually every woman was wearing pants to church. A new pastor came in. He never once said anything about "proper dressing". His wife simply wore dresses each Sunday. After a number of weeks most of the ladies were following the lead of the pastors wife.
    My personal opinion is that a dress presents a woman in a more feminine manner, a manner which encourages more respect.
    (and since it was a "military" church all the guys did have GI haircuts)

Sure there are things that are not prohibited, but could it be that the Lord expects us to use some common sense?

#44 Salty, May 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2011
  5. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

That is true... After all, the number one reason that people offer for not uniting with a church is that they don't want to have to be like "those people."

The comment is based on research I did in conjunction with the publishing of the book, "The Unchurched Next Door," by Thom Rainer.

My own attitude is to remove ALL barriers to the cross, save the one barrier that ALL must navigate -- salvation and the gospel. I believe that is what Paul had in mind when he wrote 1 Corinthians 9:19-23.

6. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I know that your tongue is firmly planted in your cheek on this, but I'm sure I can find a video clip somewhere of the preacher preaching while holding his own cup of coffee... :thumbs:

I'm of a mind that we sometimes forget that the "sanctuary" is our heart, not a spot in a building where we attempt to imitate the Holy of Holies of the Temple of Israel. That concept seems to be a carry over from Catholicism that has remained with us even though it doesn't have to.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Victim much?

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Amen. I never want to be the one to turn someone off who's looking for a church home because of my preferences.

That book sounds really interesting. I'm going to look it up!

9. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

This statement seems to presume that it is the weaker brethren who believe it is ok to dress in more casual attire when coming to worship, when in reality maybe it is those who believe everyone must conform to business attire to be a mature Christian that are the 'weaker brethren.'

Every church is different and will reach different types of people. I think it is important that as Baptist we continue to support the idea of the autonomy of the local church so as to not enforce some kind of universal creed or dogma as to what people should wear when coming to church.

Brother, with all due respect, the only negative "attitude" I've seen in this thread is the one you've brought by painting the entire "BaptistBoard" with one broad brush, when each of us have differing opinions and views on various subjects. I've not heard anyone argue "anything goes," nor have I seen anyone "come after you" because you prefer a more "reverent" or traditional worship service.

In fact, I've heard people tell you that is fine and accept you for that preference. The only thing that some reject is the dogmatic view that any church that isn't traditional (promoting business attire) is less Christian or is less pleasing to God.

Again, I didn't see anyone attacking you personally. I saw people disagreeing with you about what you define as an "American Idol-style" performance just because it uses some of the same components. I'm sure when the piano, a bar room instrument in its early days, was introduced to the church's sanctuary it was likewise compared to a worldly instrument and unworthy of being used in church.

When will we learn that God looks at the heart of the worshipper, not the instruments, attire, style or outward things?

10. Skandelon

Looks like a church I would really enjoy! :thumbsup:

11. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

When he speaks of an "American Idol-style" performance, he's speaking of this thread: http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=71865

13. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had an uncle that passed away back in the early 1960's. Like many in rural West Virginia, he chewed Mail Pouch Tobacco as did almost all those old timers.

For the service they all carried an empty soup can in a bag of some sort which served as their portable spittoon and most all wore their Sunday Go To Meeting Clothes which usually meant what they were wearing had been washed.

I remember as a kid watching these (Old Men) as I thought they were seeing as how I was pre-teen at the time my goodness, they were ancients. I mean, these guys were in their 50's and 60's. Bunch of old codgers they were..., and now I'm 66.

Sure wish I could visit that era again.

14. Skandelon

I liked his quote, "The paradox of God's grace is that only when we are weak and wrong are we strong and right."

15. Skandelon

Oh, harsh. Maybe JDF is really Simon Cowell? :laugh:

I thought your family sounded good and it was very worshipful. :)

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I knew of that era too, but it wasn't in West Virginia. It was in the Great White North, where the elderly pastor of a small IFB church would not baptize a woman if she wore jewelry: like earrings, bracelets, or make-up; the same went for any kind of pants on a woman. If she was a woman she had to dress like one if she was going to be a member of his church.

17. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe Skandelon is really Corky.

18. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :confused:

Explain how you do communion without the bread and the cup.

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

LOL - Thank you. :)

20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because the purpose of communion is not for the purpose of filling ones stomach

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.