1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dress code in church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, May 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks to the hotel where our church meets we have two kinds of hot coffee, cocoa, tea, cider and ice water. Can't think of times when EVERYONE was not drinking!!

The church meets. Where it meets might require some sort of regs about food and beverage, but no church should say people who are thirsty cannot drink. Amazing.

And for JDF, I am regenerated.

2. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I wasn't making that statement as an all inclusive doctrinal point, just a general reminder that God cares more about what is on the inside. I realize there are biblical standards and acceptable social norms. I wasn't meaning to dismiss those things, just drawing a distinction between church that might choose to be more casual verse business attire. I hope that makes more sense.

3. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wear size 12 1/2 shoes.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I have never read anything in the Bible that says what type attire should be worn to "church", only that one be modest. In OT times under the Law they were to bath and wash their clothes, but not it did not state what type of clothes or that they should be different from everyday attire. Suit and ties, dresses only, are modern day man made rules.

5. Skandelon

And with all due respect brother, you may need to use them to take a walk and cool off. You're posts are very inflammatory and it is against the rules to question other brethren's salvation.

I advise you to edit your own post before a moderator has to do it and gives you yet another infraction.

6. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First of all, I never questioned anybody's salvation, but it doesn't surprise me at all that you would falsely claim that I did.

Second, so what if it's against the rules? You don't enforce the rules when someone attacks me. So what do the rules matter?

Annsi called me a liar and nothing happened to he. Jerome then agreed with her and repeated her attack. Nothing happened to him. Clearly, you're selective about what rules you enforce based on who does it and who it's done to.

And if you were to give me an infraction for an offense that you made up, while refusing to address the attacks against me, then that would just prove what hypocrites you are. In fact, not only do you refuse to address the attacks against me, a PM I received from dcorbett even admitted that she refused to address any attacks against me, specifically.

So don't lecture me about the rules when you're not willing to follow them, yourselves.

Why don't you show us where I ever questioned anyone's salvation or broke any rule in this forum? In fact, not only did I not question his salvation, but I even stated that I was basing my statement on the assumption that he is a Christian. But that's OK. You go right on ahead and ignore that part.

Out of curiousity, do you ever have anything positive or friendly to say to me, or can you only attack me?

#86 JohnDeereFan, May 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2011
  7. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...and reverent.

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exodus 3:

God called to him out of the bush, "Moses, Moses!" And he said, "Here I am." Then he said, "Do not come near; take your sandals off your feet, for the place on which you are standing is holy ground."

Moses went barefoot? No!! Surely he slipped on a pair of sanctuary-appropriate size 12.5 wingtips, amen.

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

That's always been proper etiquette for the preacher to have a glass of water by the pulpit, for his throat gets dry from preaching and he often needs it (especially if he's preaching an hour long :) ).

Folks, I didn't mean to cause contention with my post. But it is a matter of culture these day, and to some degree discipline. Since I was saved over 40 years ago I have been associated with primarily one church. In my younger days there was absolutely no food and drink in the auditorium. It was unheard of. It was the responsibility of the parents to keep their children from running around. All things were done decently and in order. Once the service started one was expected to remain seated and not to be up and down distracting both the preacher and the others from hearing the message. It would create more of an air of reverence in the "house of God."

Now, in this generation, things have changed. Though the building is the same the people are not. Young people pick up their coffee at their favorite drive-thru just before coming to church. Some have tea, and some just water. Most have something. That gives the place more of an informal setting. More people get up and down as well. The dress has also been more casual.

Perhaps it is a matter of the heart. Is this generation taking a more casual approach to God? Are they not willing to sacrifice or discipline themselves as former generations did? Is our approach to worshiping a holy, omnipotent Creator, reflected in the small things we do, and an informal I-don't-care attitude, that permeates a humanistic self-centered society, that has so infiltrated our schools and institutions, that we cannot escape it, even in our churches?

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We used to have decaf and regular coffee and hot water but the hotel charges $55 per carafe (it's a big 50 cupper) so we now just have regular coffee. It's nice to have the selection but it's just too much money!! Oh - and ice water is always provided for the rental of a meeting room.

11. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for this. It's good to know there's some sanity left here.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My post was edited and I apologized. I fully expect to hear from the powers that be after the issue is reviewed and I will abide by whatever consequences there are. You, however, continue to post inflammatory, untrue, unChristian things and do not apologize ever. Why is that?

JDF - You have clearly stated that I am not saved. However, you act the victim here when you have never said one kind word to anyone that I've ever seen. You continually come in here with guns blazing and expect to be shown friendship? Why would anyone want to be friendly with a bear?

13. Skandelon

It appeared that way to several members as it does to me when I read it. How else is someone supposed to take it when you say, "Your statement is a clear indication of a rebellious spirit... isn't consistent with a heart that's been regenerated by the Holy Spirit."

And how is not inflammatory to paint us all with the same brush with statements such as, "I realize this is BaptistBoard, which has adopted the Church-of-do-What-You-Want-To" and "My guess is that, like the vast, vast majority of people here on BaptistBoard, you've never read it [scripture]."

Isn't that the very rebellious attitude you were attempting to correct in that post?

One, I don't moderate this particular forum. Two, did you report the posts that you felt were in violation of the rules? Three, as my mom always said, two wrongs don't make a right. Just because someone insults you doesn't give you permission to insult them. You are responsible for your behavior.

Wow, seems as if I've uncovered a wound. I have nothing to do with the other interactions you have had with other moderators. To treat us all with such distain and disrespect could be the root of the problem you are experiencing. If someone is having a problem with everyone, it may be the "someone" who needs to change.

I like John Deere too, does that help? :) And I thought our comments about Simon and Corky were in friendly jest, I guess they weren't?

I have nothing against you brother, but clearly there is a chip on someones shoulder that has been waiting to get knocked off. Maybe you should take a break for a while and come back later to start fresh?

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I do believe that meeting with the Creator of the universe is a wonderful thing and we should not go about it as if we're doing just anything but I don't think we need to have "high church" kind of thing - something so formal that it is all about the rules rather than the heart. I'd rather see someone come into church in shorts and sandals with a cup of Starbucks but with a heart to serve, a mind focused on God and undivided attention than to have someone in there who's a pew warmer in a suit.

The culture has certainly changed and we can see that in so many ways. However, I don't think it's all bad. I grew up with a view of God that was close yet reverent. I still to this day pray as if I'm praying to the King - who's lap I can crawl into a cry. That's what I want to convey to those who come to our church - that God is holy and just and loves us dearly. God doesn't turn us away for a cup of coffee. Should we?

Now, that said, at our home church and other campus, only water is allowed in the sanctuary for practical purposes. Of course baby bottles would be a different story but otherwise, we're concerned about stains. However, we meet in a hotel where we often have to set up our chairs around a left-over dance floor or with tables set up next to us because there is another even immediately following the service, and it IS a ballroom where the kitchen is right through one doorway and so a cup of coffee is not the end of the world. :)

15. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally, I would take it as "you're doing something wrong and you need to address it". But then, I can read so that's just me.

How is it not inflamitory for dcorbett to call me a "little gnat" or annsi to call me a liar?

Nope.

At least a dozen times.

Just as I never questioned sag's salvation, I never insulted them.

OK. What should I change to get the molderators to enforce violations of the rules against me?

Really? That's your idea of jesting, huh?

Gee, threatening me through a computer screen. That's real manhood, right there.

What guarantee do I have that your attitudes will change if I take a break? Let me ask you this: when was the last time I responded to or said anything at all to annsi? It's been quite a while because she's on my ignore list, where she belongs. And yet, she continues to address me and to make snide comments about me in spite of the fact that I don't say anything at all to her or about her. So please explain how that's my fault.

Remember, you are the one who called me names unprovoked.

#95 JohnDeereFan, May 30, 2011
  16. Skandelon

This is the point. How you see and define "reverent" may be different for someone else. You may see "reverent" as being quite, sitting in a pew, wearing business attire.

I see "reverent" as an attitude of ones heart, regardless of the outward appearance. David danced naked...the publican dropped to his knees and beat his chest...the blind beggar cried for mercy... These are all examples of reverence toward God in my view.

17. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This being BaptistBoard, I'm sure this will come as quite a shock, but David's dancing naked wasn't in the context of a church service.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I do think I am on ignore but I challenged you to support your accusations and you've never done so.

19. Skandelon

See, you are insulting me by implying that I can't read. I think you are doing it and not even realizing it. You don't have to insult people in order to carry on a conversation brother.

I agree, that does sound inflammatory. But, this isn't about them, its about you.

Report their posts and let the mods handle them, you are responsible for you. It sounds like Annsi already tried to correct her mistake, but now it is your turn.
    You don't think it is insulting to say that most of the BB members never read scripture? Come now, let's be reasonable.
    Report them. And don't retaliate by making even more inflammatory remarks than what they said.

I thought it was funny. Corky and Simon playing basketball, that is funny! :laugh:

Threatening? What are you talking about? The phrase "chip on your shoulder" simply means you seem easily angered, which is quite evident by your response to me.

First, I'm not the one getting dozens of reports for breaking the rules. Second, you are only responsible for your attitude, no one else.

You critiqued a worship leader for being off key in a kind of rude way. To compared you to Simon Cowell was a joke, which is why I put the laughing guy beside it. I'm sorry if that was offense to you. I think most understood it was a joke.

20. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And yet, you felt the need to do just that.

Precisely my point.

I've reported them a dozen times.

And in that very thread, I stated at least three times that if anyone there could show me where I ever did what annsi and her little clique claimed I did, that I would be more than happy to apologize. Not one of them could come up with any examples to show that I ever said what they claimed I did.

Just an observation.

I did. Numerous times. You refused to do anything about it.

Then you shouldn't have any problem with me comparing you to Corky.

Threatening to knock a chip off someone's shoulder is a considered to be a threat.

No, you're just the one ignoring all of my reports.

Second, when I asked you to show where I did what you claimed I did, you could not.

No, actually, I never critiqued her for being off key. I merely said that, while it was a nice performance (and just like you ignored the part where I stated that I was basing my statement about sag on the assumption that he is saved, so you completely ignored the part where I said- TWICE - that her performance wasn't a bad performance), that it was not consistent with the definition of "leading worship".

And I was pointing out that the context was completely different.

I hope things are better in the future, too. But I believe that when I come back, I will still be subject to your personal attacks and that the moderators will still refuse to do anything about it.
    By the way, I'm still waiting for you to explain your claim that annsi's insults are my fault.

#100 JohnDeereFan, May 30, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.