1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Drinking Alcohol Poll--

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Joe, Oct 10, 2007.

?

Views on Drinking Alcohol

Poll closed Oct 20, 2007.
  1. I drink alcohol and do not consider it sin in and of itself

5.3%
  2. I drink alcohol occasionally and do not consider it a sin in and of itself

28.9%
  3. I do not drink and consider it a sin

18.4%
  4. I do not drink and don't consider it a sin in and of itself.

47.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe New Member

Which category are you?

#1 Joe, Oct 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2007
  2. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

I do not drink alcohol.

But the Bible do not forbid alcohol. On the other hand the Bible teaches that you should not get drunk or be a drunkard.

So my reasons for not drinking alcohol:

1. Drinking some alcohol in moderation may lead to getting drunk or becoming a drunkard.

2. Not drinking at all is a good example for others. I will not tempt anybody to taste alcohol. There are those in church that have never tasted alchol, I will not encurage them to try alchol, there are former alcoholics, I will not encurage them to try alcohol.

3. The Bible tells that a good leader should not be given to wine.
    “Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;”
    (1Timothy 3:3 KJV)
    Timothy that do not usually dring wine is recomended to drink a little wine for medication. If he always drank wine this verse would be strange to understand.
    “Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach’s sake and thine often infirmities.”
    (1Timothy 5:23 KJV)

4. The Bible recomends to get happines in the christian life, not in wine.
    “And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;”
    (Ephesians 5:18-19 KJV)

5. Being a drunkard is not a good life , the Bible can tell you about it.
    “Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes? They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine. Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright. At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder. Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things. Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast. They have stricken me, shalt thou say, and I was not sick; they have beaten me, and I felt it not: when shall I awake? I will seek it yet again.”
    (Proverbs 23:29-35 KJV)

6. I think that being a Nazarite is for the Old Testament, but it is intersting to see that part of separating to God is to quiting from wine and strong drink. And also that it is not in moderation, not even dried grapes is OK.
    “Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When either man or woman shall separate themselves to vow a vow of a Nazarite, to separate themselves unto the LORD: He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried. All the days of his separation shall he eat nothing that is made of the vine tree, from the kernels even to the husk.”
    (Numbers 6:2-4 KJV)

7. So I want to find my happiness in the christian life, not in alcohol, I want to be a good example for others, I do not want to lead anyone in temptation, I want to separate my life to God (in moderation, no long hair as the nazarene of the OT). And, if Timothy not usully drank wine other than for medication, why should I? Do I really want to make desicions that make me less like Timothy?

3. standingfirminChrist

I do not drink alcoholic beverages. And since the Word of God tells us to abstain from intoxicating beverages, it is a sin to drink or even to tell others to drink alcoholic beverages.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I do not drink to be able to further ministry but I will not declare it a sin since God does not.

5. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

The Bible is clear on the fact that being intoxicated is a sin (Eph. 5:18), but i don't recall seeing anything saying that drinking in and of itself is a sin.
    BUT...if i do drink in public or drink and people realize it, it can ruin my witness and my standing as a minister and therefore could be a sin since it can turn people away from God.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Just curious..how?

If my wife wears pants in public, that could offend someone. If I eat fast food in front of someone with a food addiction, that could offend them. If I carry a non KJV Bible to church, that could offend someone. Why is this standard only held to alcohol? I think that's wrong. If someone is offended, biblically they are to approach you. That is when they are to be shown their error through Scripture. This applies to any of the legalistic standards, not just alcohol.

7. Joe

Joe New Member

It seems we have all of these threads which take that verse of "The appearance of evil" so far that it lets the guilty party off the hook. Legalism run amuck fueling people who enjoy criticizing each other. A fear of people?

#7 Joe, Oct 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2007
  8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, I can't answer for bobbyd but I can for me because I feel the same way. My husband is a pastor in charge of the college ministry. In working with college students, we see the struggles that they have to make right choices amongst a lot of sin. We will choose to not drink alcohol because they struggle with this. Not all of them struggle but enough do that if they saw their pastor (more so the one who works directly with them) drinking, they might feel more comfortable to drink even though it is not legal for them to do so.

But when we were not in ministry, we would drink here and there - one glass of wine at dinner or maybe a mixed drink before dinner (but not both at the same time - LOL). You're right that we can get overly cautious and stop LIVING if we worry about offending someone. But common sense must prevail in all things.

9. standingfirminChrist

...Every man did that which was right in his own eyes

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Would Jesus be able to be in the ministry in your Church? Could Jesus...who did drink...serve as a pastor in most churches today?

11. readmore

readmore New Member

Don't you think it's a little insulting to compare your brothers and sisters who are trying to prove things from the Scriptures to people who have strayed completely from following God? Not to mention that the quoted sentence was referring to the reasoning behind not drinking alcohol.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think he cares about insulting. If you don't see things his way, you are as good as lost.

13. standingfirminChrist

It is not my way that matters... it is God's Way. He commands abstinence. Yet man does that which seems right in his own eyes. Using man's logic, man tries to reason (without any Scriptural proof whatsoever) that Jesus created alcoholic wine, He drank it, and gave it to others. All false theories.

But the Bible says the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God.

14. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

I voted for:

15. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Common sense? Spiritual discernment?? What a concept. Thanks for your comments.

16. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Isn't there a verse in the Bible saying Man did what was right in his own eyes/
    faithgirl

17. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It it's wrong to do what 'right in your own eyes,' Slick, then decide what's right in your eyes and do the opposite. Ya goin' to?

18. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Judges 17:6 -- It's repeated at least once more.

19. standingfirminChrist

Do that which the Bible commands, and you will not be doing that which is right in your own eyes.

The flesh does not want the things of the Spirit.

The Bible commands abstinence. The flesh wants moderation. When all is said and done, the flesh will not win.

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is nothing wrong with drinking alcoholic beverages as long as one does not get drunk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.