1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Drinking Alcohol

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Rhetorician, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

If in doubt.....DON'T.

2. natters

natters New Member

Not true. It actually pleases him (Judges 9:13, etc.). What he dislikes is the abuse of alcohol.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

There's a big difference between "if in doubt don't" and "if in doubt, accuse others who aren't in doubt of sinning".

4. There is no excuse to drink. We all are too familiar with the damages caused by drinking. It is worthless. To even suggest a little drink is okay is wrong, it would be wasting money and helping others get drunk by supporting the liquor companies that provide this poison. Now, if you are sick and need a drink then fine. It's always those types that like to drink and waste money that gives excuses. In the day, the wine talked about was grapes. Drinking is a sin.

5. natters

natters New Member

Sounds like an excuse used by those who don't want to believe that the Bible means what it says. ;)

6. Exactly natters. I'm glad you agree with me. Can you imagine some fool assuming the wine in reference to Jesus was booze. But you have to forgive them. Many Bible readers don't know about Biblical history. They usually pick up a study Bible and become "experts". You got to love it. Take care natters and thanks for supporting me.

7. Unfermented nutritious grape juice, Jesus loved that.

8. natters

natters New Member

Ya. Imagine the Bible means "wine" when it says "wine". How absurd.

Ya. Some even think people could get drunk on "unfermented nutritious grape juice".

9. Exactly, drunk means to drink.

And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now.

Wine, in those days it meant anything that contained grapes.

Thanks natters.

10. natters

natters New Member

You're welcome. I'm glad we showed these silly folks that "to drink" "grape juice" is wrong ("be not drunk with wine").

11. David J

David J New Member

Tell ya what I’ll put up some grape juice until it gets old and let you drink to you are full. I promise you that you will be sick as a dog.

Wine is wine. Why is that so hard to understand? Why must people add legalism to the Word of God?

The bible is very clear on not getting drunk like wise it is clear about not sinning when you eat (over eating and getting fat as a cow). You can not get drunk off grape juice.

If you do not want to drink wine then that is fine but don’t put things in the Bible to justify your personal opinions. You can not prove that drinking wine is a sin. You can prove that drinking wine in excess is sin just like eating in excess. The problem is people refuse to accept the fact that the Word bulks the traditions of man. I go with what God said regardless of what man says.

I will continue to drink wine in accordance to the Word of God. I have the Word on my side. Those who oppose this have tradition and personal preference.

12. Dear David J,

Please drink. Don't blame me when you go to Hell.

13. David J

David J New Member

Titus 1:7 (NASB)
    7 For the overseer must be above reproach as God's steward, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not addicted to wine, not pugnacious, not fond of sordid gain,

Notice it says not addicted to wine.

Titus 2:3 (NASB)
    3 Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good,

Again notice the wording here.

1 Timothy 3:8 (NASB)
    8 Deacons likewise must be men of dignity, not double-tongued, or addicted to much wine or fond of sordid gain,

Again look at the wording.

Luke 5:37-39 (NASB)
    37 "And no one puts new wine into old wineskins; otherwise the new wine will burst the skins and it will be spilled out, and the skins will be ruined.
    38 "But new wine must be put into fresh wineskins.
    39 "And no one, after drinking old wine wishes for new; for he says, 'The old is good enough."'

Do you want some old grape juice? LOL!

14. David J

David J New Member

Going to Hell for following the Bible? Oh please!

Where is your Scripture?

I am blood bought so I will never taste Hell. Jesus paid my sin debt!

15. Oh, you are following the bible by drinking grape juice which was considered wine at the time. I thought you meant liquor which God hates. You are alright then. You'll go to heaven. However, if you are drinking booze and refuse to change than God has no choice but to place you in Hell. I got to go to work now so take care and write me if you still have a booze problem.

16. David J

David J New Member

I ask that you refrain from character attacks and assuming that because one does not line up with you they will go to Hell. If you want to know about my salvation then PM me. I'm not ashamed of Christ and how He set me free.

17. natters

natters New Member

So salvation is based on whether we drink alcohol or not. Neato.

18. Salvation is based on one loving Christ. You cannot love Christ if you keep committing the same sin over and over again because you take his forgiveness for granted. Many are mistaken to assume once saved always saved. Sometimes people "become Christians" but never really are, they never changed their heart nor tried to follow God's guidance. Got to go, please write me if you guys have a booze problem.

19. David J

David J New Member

Ok what do you do with this passage?

Matthew 11:18-19 (NASB)
    18 "For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon!'
    19 "The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Behold, a gluttonous man and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!' Yet wisdom is vindicated by her deeds."

By the way what is a "lose it gain it salvation" person doing posing as a fundamentalist anyway? I thought a fundamentalist understood the fundamentals of the Word.

This reminds me of the problem Luther had with Rome. Rome taught that Peter is the Rock.

Matthew 16:18-20 (NASB)
    18 "I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it.
    19 "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven."
    20 Then He warned the disciples that they should tell no one that He was the Christ.
    Some Rome taught that Peter was the Rock.

Luther simple said read this in context.

Matthew 16:13-20 (NASB)
    13 Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, He was asking His disciples, "Who do people say that the Son of Man is?"
    14 And they said, "Some say John the Baptist; and others, Elijah; but still others, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets."
    15 He said* to them, "But who do you say that I am?"
    16 Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
    17 And Jesus said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.
    18 "I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it.
    19 "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven."
    20 Then He warned the disciples that they should tell no one that He was the Christ.
    This is sort of like what you are doing to wine. You are taking things out of context because of your traditions. The Word is truth and it overpowers your man made traditions.

Drinking wine is a personal choice. If you do not want to drink wine then by all means don’t. You have no authority to tell someone that drinking wine will send them to Hell. You are adding to the Word and you should be careful when doing this. You have no Scripture to back up your false claims.

20. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Doesnt cough syrup contain alcohol? As a matter of fact winos will purchase cough syrup and drink it in place of booze to get a cheap fix.